• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mic static on new build/mobo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skoll_21

Registered
Hello and happy holidays everyone!

The other day I built pretty much a new PC (specs on signature), the only thing I'm using from my previous build is the GPU and peripherals. So the issue is that on my new build my headset's mic is producing a lot of static (my friends on Skype have been complaining about it!). It worked well on my previous build and it still works well with no static on my family's laptop so I know the mic didn't get defective.

I tried using the latest sound drivers from the Asus site and then Realtek's and I tried messing with the Windows and Realtek sound control panels. The mic level is at max and the sound boost only makes the static worst. The noise supression option makes the static sound less annoying but it's still pretty bad.

I found someone with a similar problem (different mobo/soundcard from Realtek also) and they said the issue was caused by the mobo sitting too tight against the I/O shield. Well, I had in fact applied a bit of pressure to my mobo for it to align with the stand-offs because of the stupid padding on the Q-shield from Asus, so I thought that I might have the same problem. However, I removed the I/O shield and everything's the same...

This is my headset: Plantronics GameCom 367

Any suggestions? IMO it sounds like my mobo may have a defective soundcard but I'm no expert so any input would be appreciated!

EDIT: Forgot to say a few things... Using the front panel or plugging the mic directly into the mobo doesn't seem to make any difference. I also tried using a USB adapter and it seems the issue remains. It sounds the same as when I use 0 boost with no adapter but there was no option to change the boost level so I couldn't test it that much.

Last edited:
It might simply be an issue with Realtek and your mic. Right now I am a tester for the Antlion Modmic, and currently the 2.0, 3.0, and 4.0 mics all behave differently in regards to certain setups. The most drastic being that when any of the mics are used on Realtek setups, there seems to be degradation not found with Creative, ASUS, Conexant, or SoundMAX, ONLY on the Realtek. Granted the 3.0 is the one that suffers the most when using Realtek including a constant hiss/static, it sounds perfectly fine when using any other sound card. (The 2.0 and 4.0 sounded fine on Realtek for reference)

Just thought I would give my insight as I'm currently messing with different mic setups using different hardware. Have you thought about picking up a cheap sound card like an ASUS Xonar DG for $30?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply! Yeah, I've thought about getting that sound card because of this issue but maybe I should get a new mic before I spend $30. I was thinking about the cheap mic lots of people seem to like, the Zalman ZM-Mic1. Have you tested it with Realtek cards?

If the new mic doesn't work I suppose I'll get the sound card. I was also thinking about testing the mic with the mobo outside the case as there might be grounding issues but I'll think about that later.

I do have the ZM-MIC1 still from long ago and it was a good mic until I used on the ASUS Xonar Phoebus wherein it had a hard time picking up my voice unless directly aimed at my mouth (Was not an issue when using with Creative X-Fi Titanium).

But before you buy anything new, let's go beyond speculation. Let's try to delve into the issue to know for sure that your mic isn't playing well with the Realtek unit.

I also just noticed you mentioned using a USB adapter and the issue was still present, could you link me the adapter? I would also like you to get your family's laptop and right click on the Speaker icon in your system tray on the bottom right of your screen and click on Recording devices. What does it say under Microphone? (Just checking to see if Realtek is used on it or another)

I just remembered, on your pc go to Recording properties, right click Microphone and go to Properties. There should be some Realtek settings in one of the tabs to help reduce noise. You can try applying those and also clicking on Listen and adjusting the Microphone tab to see if you can get a reasonable mic level where you don't notice any static.

Last edited:
My motherboard is an Asus M5A99X EVO R2.0 (my specs are on my sig) and the onboard sound card is a Realtek ALC892. My family's laptop has an IDT card and my previous mobo had a VIA card.

The USB adapter is this one.

I already tried messing with everything on the control panel but it seems there's still static and I previously mentioned I have the "noise suppression" option enabled. There seems to be almost no static with 0 boost but then my voice is very low (I'm currently using +10dB boost, there's static and my friends on Skype complain my voice is still too low so I can't have it on 0 or +20dB).

I'll probably go for the Xonar DG as you suggested earlier, since it's much cheaper and I can get it from a physical store (plus, I can return it for free in case I still get static).

Thank you! I'll report back when I get the sound card and/or the mic.

Update time! I bought the mic I mentioned earlier and there was still static so I went ahead and bought the Xonar DG yesterday. Everything's working fine now, no more static! :) Thanks for your help, sobe!

The only onboard card's feature I'll miss is being able to have simultaneous and independent outputs though the front and back panels. I don't think the Xonar DG is capable of doing that but it's no big deal, I'm just glad I can now be heard super clearly through the mic. Next I should buy a decent pair of headphones to appreciate the sound quality of a dedicated sound card, heheh :D

Glad it worked out for you :)

If you want more inputs, you can of course still use your onboard while using the ASUS card for extra inputs. I would just advise that you use the sound card at least for mic/headphones and then just use the Realtek for speakers or whatever else you would want to plug in.

Back