• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Colored stains in Water cooling setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twistedfury

Hello all

I have been maintaining a water cooling setup for almost 2 years.Everything is going well and as intended but on my last 6 most maintenance which was about a week ago i noticed something that has me slightly worried so i im here to ask you fine people of the forum on directions.

I noticed that inside the CPU socket cooling part (forgot the name ) there are some colored stains.So im wondering is that something i should be worried about and if so what should be my next course of action against it ?

For the first year i was using a colored liquid from EKW and from that point on im using a mix of distiled water + antifreeze which gives the liquid a weak red color.

If you need any more information please ask.

Here are some pics to show what im talking about.

Note: CPU in question is : I7-2600k on stock frequencies

I was watching the CPU temperatues on HW monitor all week.They seem to be normal for the most part ranging from 35-48c while using youtube,surfing the web and other general day to day tasks.When it comes to ingame temperatures i tested them using Napoleon Total war and they where anywhere from 50-60c,but that game is not realy taxing on my setup.

Thank you for your time,and sorry if the pictures are to big,dont know how to make them smaller.

Attachments

• IMG_20140410_173418.jpg
    IMG_20140410_173418.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 764
  • IMG_20140410_173426.jpg
    IMG_20140410_173426.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 851
  • IMG_20140410_173541.jpg
    IMG_20140410_173541.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 827
That would appear to be the dyes in the liquid... which is why we tell people not to use it. That said, clean out the loop and you are good as gold. :)

That would appear to be the dyes in the liquid... which is why we tell people not to use it. That said, clean out the loop and you are good as gold. :)
I see.Thank you for the answer,that was my conclusion aswell,but since im rather new to watercooling i didnt want to do anything i might regret,especialy since there was a seal on the damn thing telling me NOT to open it.

Since it seems like the CPU is operating normaly,i will wait until the next time i do the maintenance and then do a clean up.

Thank you again.

Unless you're using mixed metals, just use distilled water and a biocide/Silver coil and you will be good to go.

Unless you're using mixed metals, just use distilled water and a biocide/Silver coil and you will be good to go.

I often see it recommended to use biocide for bacteria but i dont realy know where to buy it.

Are there some specific product names you recommend,preferably if i coud order them on ebay?

I live in a second world,borderline third world contry and getting most of the items people seem to use has proved difficult.

I&H DeadWater for a biocide.
If you can't find that, any copper sulfate (should be light blue) should work just fine.

I&H DeadWater for a biocide.
If you can't find that, any copper sulfate (should be light blue) should work just fine.

I feel dumb asking but can you explain in abit more detail what you mean when you say copper sulfate?

I checked I&H DeadWater on ebay and cant seem to find any,any other reccomendations?

Sorry for wasting your time

Will work on getting that until then the original liquid will have to do.

Thank you for your time everyone.

Give us a link to where you shop and maybe we can find something for you.

There are few local PC hardware shops in my town but none that have anything to serious.Far to few people buy expensive hardware.So yea buying localy is a problem like i said.

If you can find me something on ebay that is Worldwide shipping,it would be a great help.

If not il try to improvise something.Maybe employ abit of alchemy :D

ya know, looks like plasticiser to me.. time to bring out the ketchup & toothbrush :)
then new tubing, distilled, killcoil + 10% automotive antifreeze :)

Back