• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New motherboard installed, want to boot into windows XP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhatTheSchmidt

I've done my research and the computer seems to post fine, I changed settings to make cdrom first boot device then restarted and it loaded XP but at the end when it started to run windows XP it froze and gave that blue screen where it said it halted because something was unsafe..etc. My plan was to do a repair install then xfer files off of my raptor hard drive to my storage, then format the raptor and install vista.

I thought booting from my xp cd would work and I could do the repair but it freezes. I changed from p965-s dark DFI to Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R.

because of the chipset differences do I have no hope of doing the repair install? I might have to just format it and install vista right away then and lose some documents I wanted.

download a image of ubuntu, burn it onto cd, load it from cd as a live image, then mount the hds and move what you need. or if the drive is sata, plug it into another pc, copy what you need, and format away

You don't necessarily have to reinstall when changing chipsets. More times than not a repair install will get it running. In this case that's too much work for the intended task. I agree with using a live cd to get files moved.

You don't necessarily have to reinstall when changing chipsets. More times than not a repair install will get it running. In this case that's too much work for the intended task. I agree with using a live cd to get files moved.

ok I will try this, thanks guys

so I made the ubuntu iso, everything seemed to go fine when I tried it and the menu showed up, I clicked the option to run it without any changes to system and it got an error and said to reboot, then I got the error again

bad burn? burned the cd at 8x which I thought should have been fine, 45 minutes to burn a 700mb cd
or did I not burn the right iso? I don't quite know what you mean by live cd

sidenote: the computer I downloaded it on(this one) is infected
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1033774609#post1033774609
and I can't boot it into safemode to fix it

I think I burnt the wrong iso..trying livecd this time lol

edit: no I guess I didn't it's the same file...

Don't you have another computer, or a friends computer? just plug the hard drive to another computer and extract the files, assuming the other PC has a good anti-virus. It's weird the live CD didn't work.

grub.png

And also, it's a common rule in Windows to prepare for a reformat after changing the mother. Or why don't you try putting the old mobo back?

I think I would back up my files before trying any motherboard swap, even if it were the same exact edition. I did pull off a p4c800dlx to a p4c800e motherboard swap, but it was identical chip sets etc., and I backed up the files first.

I never said I chose to install a new motherboard, the old one died on me. Kinda screwed up everything. My music and a lot of movies are on my storage drive anyway but there are some files I want off my raptor.

I'll try making another iso at a slower speed and see if that works. If not I guess I'll just format the drive and install vista.

new cd had same problem

I used the check cd for errors and it came up with an error and stopped, also the new cd didn't burn at 4x like I selected but 8x like the first disc. I am downloading Ubuntu again, from a different location and I will burn it to a different type of cd-r to see if that works.

Depending on value of files, new drives are fairly cheap. Set up a new boot drive, get the files out and reinstall the raptor. Easiest is find a buds computer nd wire it in get, files and then reformat.

Moving the drives would be difficult lol, I attached my pump to the hard drive cage in my stacker

Anyway the new iso of ubuntu is working, now I just have to figure out how to mount the drives and move files then I can install vista. Weird thing was that programs weren't opening and stuff..like I tried opening preferences or blackjack and got nothing after it said it was loading it for 5-10 secs. The raptor drive didn't open or give a message at all.. :(

A windows repair install should work with no problem. I've done it many times swapping mobos and never lost anything yet (well once with a RAID setup, repair installs are harder on RAID).

Are you sure you don't have drivers that need to be loaded to run the HD, like a RAID or add on card?

Recheck all the components are seated properly, remove and reseat memory (try one stick), remove all the peripherals that aren't needed, so everything except the CD and one HD.

Boot the Windows CD and load the repair console. Run chkdsk /r to be sure the HD doesn't have problems with corrupt files or rotten sectors.

A windows repair install should work with no problem. I've done it many times swapping mobos and never lost anything yet (well once with a RAID setup, repair installs are harder on RAID).

Are you sure you don't have drivers that need to be loaded to run the HD, like a RAID or add on card?

Recheck all the components are seated properly, remove and reseat memory (try one stick), remove all the peripherals that aren't needed, so everything except the CD and one HD.

Boot the Windows CD and load the repair console. Run chkdsk /r to be sure the HD doesn't have problems with corrupt files or rotten sectors.

I already tried the repair install, that was what I wanted to do first, but it had problems loading the xp cd. I never got ubuntu to load correctly and when I messed around with it I changed a few commands and somehow made it instead of loading ubuntu load windows on my hard drive. It went into windows fine, loading some new drivers automatically, said I had 3 days to activate it etc. Then I just used my usb to xfer the files I needed.

Done.

When I installed vista I don't understand why the format took 10 seconds then started installing lol, but it's running fine.

I already tried the repair install, that was what I wanted to do first, but it had problems loading the xp cd.

Next time boot the CD intp the repair console, not WinXP, and run chkdsk /r.

You should do that now anyways from the command line and let it run over night to be sure your HD isn't corrupt.

Back