• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hypertransport multiplier raise to 12x without HTT/FSB raise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marc_lux

Registered
Hello folks,

I have been oc'ing my RAM from 1333 to 1600. went quite well. I went from 7-7-7-24-33-1T to 7-8-7-24-40-1T by setting the CPU-NB/IMC voltage to 1.25v and raised the NB clock to 2.4GHz with CPU at 3.2GHz. I did not have to change RAM voltage, so I'm still at 1.65v.

Now my question is if I can raise the HT bus too from 2GHz to 2.4GHz? I was trying to, set up the voltage from 1.15v to 1.25v in BIOS. I booted, no problem. Then in windows I loaded cpu-z which told me I'm on 2GHz HT :confused:. So I went back to BIOS to check if I forgot to set it up, but it was still on 12x200=2.4GHz. So the BIOS shows 2.4GHz but software shows 2GHz. What am I doing wrong? I tried disabling C'n'Q, tried different LLC settings, tried to play with voltages (not above 1.25v for chipset), but the multiplier doesn't change.

Btw my system:

PII 955 BE C3 @ 1.35v
Asrock 890FX D3 Mobo
2x HD5830 CFX
WD Caviar Black SATA3 640GB
WD Caviar 250GB SATA 1.5
750W Strider Plus by Silverstone
Mach Xtreme Technology 4GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz

As my system is Asrock based, I can use OC Tuner. There I can raise HT clock by multiplier but not through BIOS... :shrug:

If someone could help me, I'd be really glad!

edit: sorry for posting twice, my internet has loading problems, provider is working on the connection. I thought I only posted once...

Last edited:
It's hard to say who to believe, CPUz is not often wrong but it does happen.
However, it takes some tremendous GPU power and gpu bound benchmarks to make it worthwhile to OC the HT bus anyway, so personally I would not worry about it.

it's not only cpu-z, it's OC Tuner too, Everest Ultimate... all software states unchanged 2.0 GHz when I set the multiplier to 11x or 12x... kinda sux... It does not go down either...

I tried that again, changing it downwads to 9x, works. but I can't change it to 11x or 12x when my NB is on 12x200MHz... Is that normal? Is it only possible to change downwards mith multi? To get a higher HT, I have to use the ref. Clock, 200MHz to e.g. 220MHz or 240MHz?

Last AMD I had, was no Black Edition, so this thing was locked. Now I don't know if it's normal or nor that my HT multiplier won't go past 10x200MHz. :eek:

Thank you for your suggestions so far.

I hope they change these things in BIOS update. It's strange, because I can raise HT through the oc'ing software of AsRock. So it is possible, but just not through BIOS and I don't like software overclocking. Most programs are faulty and suck b*lls.

I guess i will contact AsRock and give them a tip for BIOS changes...

Since you're running an X4 there really isn't any need to raise the HT Link for CPU stability but you might see a small increase in performance since you're running two high-end cards ...

Hmmm yeah, that's right. I might just up my FSB by 10% then I'll have 2.2GHz (via fsb/htt it works) HT Link. But I doubt that my 1333 RAM will be allowing 1800MHz. I might just buy some Kingston HyperX 1800MHz or A-Data X-Series 1600Mhz.

For the RAM, only Copy rates will changes when changing HT, but min. FPS could also change through faster CPU-GPU Link.

Worth a test...

Back