• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would like to get into gaming

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
O.K. I went with some of the recommendations & got Fallout 3 & Oblivion. I took a look at both of them & see that the RTS games will be fairly different from FPS ones. I did start Fallout 3 & got out of the vault but stopped there. Didn't venture out into the wasteland because I really didn't know too much of what I was doing. I need to set up my mouse like I have for HL2 so I don't have to use the KB that much. I'm probably going to stick with HL2 most of the time for now until I get the profiles for fallout3 & oblivion set up in the mouse. I have HL2 set up pretty good now (see ss below) I'm only having to use WSAD on the KB for most of the time & it is working out good. I want to setup the other 2 much the same way.

I would like to give a :thup::thup: & a thank you very much to PicodeGallo for his donation of civ4 to me. He had a steam copy that he didn't need & graciously offered it to me.

With these 4 games it should take me quite some time before I even begin to half way master all of them.

Dan

You should definitely start Civilization 4. Put it on a very low difficulty, maybe the lowest, so that war will not be a problem for you .Lets you concentrate on building your civ without distraction the first few times through the game. Have a glance through the civilopedia to atleast get an idea of game concepts like religion, culture, entertainment, food supply, military, etc. No need to memorize what all the buildings do at first as they are explained to you in game. One building will increase happiness, another will boost the cultural output of the city, another will boost the religious output, and so forth. I have never played longer sessions than with Civ 4. Six hours straight no problem. It's just so engrossing.

By the way, Fallout 3 and Oblivion are based on the same game engine. Are you encountering any stuttering? Does the game seem to "jerk" every half second or so? If so Google Fallout 3 stutter removal. There are command lines you can use to remedy the issue.

Were you as pumped as I was when Captain Picard came on and did the intro for Oblivion?

You should definitely start Civilization 4. Put it on a very low difficulty, maybe the lowest, so that war will not be a problem for you .Lets you concentrate on building your civ without distraction the first few times through the game. Have a glance through the civilopedia to atleast get an idea of game concepts like religion, culture, entertainment, food supply, military, etc. No need to memorize what all the buildings do at first as they are explained to you in game. One building will increase happiness, another will boost the cultural output of the city, another will boost the religious output, and so forth. I have never played longer sessions than with Civ 4. Six hours straight no problem. It's just so engrossing.

By the way, Fallout 3 and Oblivion are based on the same game engine. Are you encountering any stuttering? Does the game seem to "jerk" every half second or so? If so Google Fallout 3 stutter removal. There are command lines you can use to remedy the issue.

Were you as pumped as I was when Captain Picard came on and did the intro for Oblivion?
Thanks for the info on civ4.

I don't believe I'm getting any jerking, it seems smooth to me.

I really didn't get into oblivion too far at all, I'm going to load it again tomorrow & at least let it start.

Thanks Dan

Thanks for the info on civ4.

I don't believe I'm getting any jerking, it seems smooth to me.

I really didn't get into oblivion too far at all, I'm going to load it again tomorrow & at least let it start.

Thanks Dan

The beginning of Oblivion may be daunting for you as it throws you into some pretty significant little battles right from the outset. You'll have to use the inventory system, combine items, assign items to different hands, and possibly even level up all in the first section of the game. I suggest watching a walkthrough (these exist for any decent game on youtube). Just watch the first part and see how the player uses the item system and all the different items and weapons that he can pick up. This will get you used to the way an RPG works without putting your virtual self in any danger.

Also, games like Oblivion, Fallout, Skyrim let you save as often as you want, so take advantage of that, especially while you're getting used to it. Save before and after every little battle or dangerous section, so if you die you don't get knocked back more than a minute or two.

Also don't forget about fast travel. Running around on roads for 5-10 minutes getting from point A to B is annoying. Once you've discovered a location you can open the map and click it to instantly travel back to it. Saves time.

You'll probably really enjoy the depth of this kind of game. Don't neglect your magic and crafting skills. They're a bigger pain in the butt to work up than just plain swinging big sharp objects into people's heads, but they're worth it.

Here is a walkthrough of the first little bit of Oblivion:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Shows you most of the basic skills you'll need.

Last edited:
The beginning of Oblivion may be daunting for you as it throws you into some pretty significant little battles right from the outset. You'll have to use the inventory system, combine items, assign items to different hands, and possibly even level up all in the first section of the game. I suggest watching a walkthrough (these exist for any decent game on youtube). Just watch the first part and see how the player uses the item system and all the different items and weapons that he can pick up. This will get you used to the way an RPG works without putting your virtual self in any danger.

Also, games like Oblivion, Fallout, Skyrim let you save as often as you want, so take advantage of that, especially while you're getting used to it. Save before and after every little battle or dangerous section, so if you die you don't get knocked back more than a minute or two.

Also don't forget about fast travel. Running around on roads for 5-10 minutes getting from point A to B is annoying. Once you've discovered a location you can open the map and click it to instantly travel back to it. Saves time.

You'll probably really enjoy the depth of this kind of game. Don't neglect your magic and crafting skills. They're a bigger pain in the butt to work up than just plain swinging big sharp objects into people's heads, but they're worth it.

Here is a walkthrough of the first little bit of Oblivion:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Shows you most of the basic skills you'll need.
Hi, thanks for all the tips. I had figured that I would be waiting for a while before I started Obilivion & I probably won't be getting into Fallout 3 right now either. Just got them for the good price now.

Dan

Skyrim (sequel to Oblivion) is on sale on steam today for $5, might want to grab that while it's so cheap as well.

I'm sure I've put hundreds of hours into both games. Amazing games that you can play through over and over again and have it be a wildly different experience each time.

I wanted to explain the Nexus Mod Manager to you, seeing that you picked up Fallout 3 & Oblivion. Skyrim, if you choose to get it and I HIGHLY recommend it, will benefit the most. Bethesda games can really flourish with mods.

Primer: nexusmods.com is a place for user created mods for many games, but mostly for Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Oblivion, and Skyrim. Once there, register and download the Nexus Mod Manager. It will find your games that it supports. Once done, when you find a mod you wish to download, you will have the option to "Download with NMM". One click and it will download. One more click, and it will install it automatically, and remove remove a mod as well.

Important: with Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, Oblivion, and Skyrim, always install these games outside of the Windows\Program Files folder. For example, I made a folder C:\Games and install my games there. Windows screws with these games and can cause issues, particularly when modding.

If I recall correctly, most Fallout 3 mods must be installed manually, but the NMM has really gotten better at supporting mods for the 'automatic' option. But for Oblivion, which is really what I wanted to talk about, there's one big thing you need to know:

Efficient leveling. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Efficient_Leveling

BTW, that site is the best wiki site for Elder Scrolls games.

The leveling system sucks. It's great if you learn it and follow it, but if you just jump in and play it like any old rpg game, the game will get impossibly hard, very fast. And I do mean impossibly hard. So, to remedy this, there is a mod to play it like a normal game. It's called "Oblivion XP". My version is 4.1.5. I highly recommend it. With EL, I literally made a spreadsheet to keep up with leveling stuff. Boo! I'd rather play, not chart skills.

Also, there is Qarls Texture pack III, which really helps in the graphic department. There are some others, but if you look under the most popular mods for the game, you'll find what you need. It's always fun to sift through the various mods. You can spend a lot of time modding your game to your desire!

Woah. That's a ton of buttons.

I saw a mouse that had a grid of 9 buttons on the side. I was like :screwy:

So you just use the kb for WSAD only basically?

:shock:

e5b9_razer_naga_new.jpg

I've felt the same for so long. I DONT play MMO's or anything with macros, but I find myself using these buttons all the time (Swapping guns in FPS's for example, much easier!). It's incredibly intuitive once you get used to it. May look ridiculous, but dont knock it till you try it :attn:

Hi, thanks for all the tips. I had figured that I would be waiting for a while before I started Obilivion & I probably won't be getting into Fallout 3 right now either. Just got them for the good price now.

Dan

I would actually suggest playing Fallout 3 first. It has skills you can carry over from Half Life 2 and is a shorter less sprawling, less daunting game than an Elderscrolls game. Also, you get to nuke a few things in Fallout 3. It's very well done and very entertaining.

Also remember to play Oblivion and Fallout on EASY. You don't need extremely difficult combat right now, just learn some game mechanics and good play strategies.

Pico, thanks for all that info. It will be a little while before I really get into those but will look into the mods when the time comes.

I got all the civ4 programs in my inventory but haven't downloaded yet.

Thanks again Dan

:shock:

e5b9_razer_naga_new.jpg

I've felt the same for so long. I DONT play MMO's or anything with macros, but I find myself using these buttons all the time (Swapping guns in FPS's for example, much easier!). It's incredibly intuitive once you get used to it. May look ridiculous, but dont knock it till you try it :attn:
Looks like you have a few buttons also :rofl: I'm with you on the buttons, so much easier.

I would actually suggest playing Fallout 3 first. It has skills you can carry over from Half Life 2 and is a shorter less sprawling, less daunting game than an Elderscrolls game. Also, you get to nuke a few things in Fallout 3. It's very well done and very entertaining.

Also remember to play Oblivion and Fallout on EASY. You don't need extremely difficult combat right now, just learn some game mechanics and good play strategies.
That was my plan to start with Fallout3, I'm out of the vault & ready to venture out into the wasteland. Won't be doing too much with it right now because I'm having too much fun with HL2. But will be going there just to see what it's like.

Easy for sure is the only way for me at this time. :D

I second the 'play on easy' sentiment. I play video games to feel like I am the unstoppable 'hero' like in a movie. I want to be able to win in every situation! :bday:

I broke that rule playing Fallout New Vegas in hardcore mode because it added survival elements: weight for everything in the inventory, eating, sleep, staying hydrated and stretched out the game play. I don't mind a challenge but I do get bored if the challenge is just more bad guys to shoot.

Looks like you have a few buttons also :rofl: I'm with you on the buttons, so much easier.

Yup :D I use mine for mindless tasks, like talking on mic, swapping guns, inventory opening, etc. Just simple things I can do without moving my right hand.

My mind can't handle changes very well so I can only use the two main buttons and a scrollwheel. Other buttons confuse me so I shun them and map them to nil.
I have one of these trickey beasts (Steelseries Xai) and the extra buttons are a nuissance to me if anything.

My mind can't handle changes very well so I can only use the two main buttons and a scrollwheel. Other buttons confuse me so I shun them and map them to nil.
I have one of these trickey beasts (Steelseries Xai) and the extra buttons are a nuissance to me if anything.
Yes bob's 3 rows of 4 buttons would mess me up also. I just have 4 buttons down there for the thumb to control & it sure makes playing a lot easier for me. I don't do change real well either. Us old folks are set in our ways.:rofl:

Tried Skyrim yet Dan?

I just started playing 2 days ago. Haven't really stopped playing yet.
Great game, very well done, open world... :thup:

Defiantly put it on the list of games to play.

Tried Skyrim yet Dan?

He's got Oblivion and Fallout 3 to get through before he does Skyrim. Playing an average of 3 hours a day he's got a good 4+ months of gaming ahead of him before he gets into skyrim. And then Skyrim is so huge he could be at it for several months all on its own. He may find he doesn't like RPGs at all. I hated them for about 1/2 of my gaming career and finally warmed up to them in my late teens.

Also, as a side game to play when you want a bit of a different experience,
Ghostbusters for PC isn't bad. Came out in 2008/2009 or something so it'll run like butter on your system. The proton pack shoots just like in the movie and the ghost trapping animations are just badd @SS.

Back