• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6 fans, 2 TECs, and no heat spreader

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Son1990 said:
Very cramed case ya got there :) might wanna get a bigger one. Very cool setup you got going tho. Why so many hard drives?
Yeah, I agree, it is pretty crammed. But it's my favorite case so I don't want to part with it unless I really have to. So far it's able to barely take all that I'm trying to put in it.

There's five hard drives. Four are 74GB Raptors in Raid 0 for performance. That's what I use for my main drive. The fifth drive is a Maxtor 300GB that I use to back up the Raptors. I just copy the Raptors right over to the Maxtor every week or so. I do this for three reasons . . .

1. I always have a bootable backup available in case any of the Raptors goes down.

2. I use the Maxtor to test overclocking speeds. That way if I ever corrupt Windows from clocking to high, I can just copy the Raptors to it again and keep testing, instead of having to install Windows and all my programs again.

3. I use the Maxtor to test programs. Whenever I want to test a program, I boot from the Maxtor and install it and try it. Then if I don't like it, I don't even have to uninstall it. The next time I copy the Raptors to the Maxtor it will be gone. That helps to reduce the fragmentation that comes from installing and uninstalling programs on the Raptors. Also, some programs that are written sloppy, don't completely uninstall everything they install to the registry, Windows folder, etc.

Revivalist, I'm too lazy to find your old thread that mentioned your GT that died on you, what ever happened to the poor thing- I know you were gonna contact BFG but never knew what happened thereafter...

PhoenixOfChaos said:
Revivalist, I'm too lazy to find your old thread that mentioned your GT that died on you, what ever happened to the poor thing- I know you were gonna contact BFG but never knew what happened thereafter...
Yeah, I'm still working on it. (I posted that in the Volt-mod section.) I just pulled the card out today and put in another BFG 7800GT with it's stock heatsink fan. I'm going to try to clean up the old one and send it in . . . In the meantime, I'm planning to order up another and run them in SLI with a TEC on each one. That should work perfectly with this 480W Meanwell that has three terminals - one for the CPU TEC, and two for the GPU TECs. . . I also a calculated the power needed and it came out to 456W . . . Perfect! :D

rhino56 said:
what watt pelt is that on the gpu?
It's listed as a 85/110 Watt TEC because it can transfer 85W-110W of heat depending on how hot it gets (the hotter it is, the less efficient it is). I think 85W is when it reaches 50C. You can see the item here on ebay.

Revivalist said:
Yeah, I'm still working on it. (I posted that in the Volt-mod section.) I just pulled the card out today and put in another BFG 7800GT with it's stock heatsink fan. I'm going to try to clean up the old one and send it in . . . In the meantime, I'm planning to order up another and run them in SLI with a TEC on each one. That should work perfectly with this 480W Meanwell that has three terminals - one for the CPU TEC, and two for the GPU TECs. . . I also a calculated the power needed and it came out to 456W . . . Perfect! :D

Youre sending it in? I assume that means they're going to accept it even though its vmodded?!

I'll remove the V-mod first. . .

I think the more difficult challenge is removing the ramsinks that were put on with Artic Silver thermal paste. I spoke with Viper John about it and he said he could do it for a service fee. So I'm probably going to send it to him and let him send it along to BFG. I don't believe I have the tools, skills, or experience to restore the card like he could.

Thanks for the explanation..after i posted it started making more sense when i re-read your old thread. After examingin and removing a fan in the top of my case, The meanwell 320 fits perfect on top of my ocz powerstream 520. Now Im deciding how to mount the BIX III, whether to do as you did, or to figure out a way to mount it to the top as i had originally planned, with the tubes running down the back of my case.

*edit* one last question, does the 6 fans in "push-pull" really make that much of a difference in the open air?

cant wait to get this mcw50-t w/172 peltier, and swiftech storm on...

grr...decisions, whehter to upgrade to a x1900xt, xtx...
dont really want to conformal coat and everything to peltier my 1800xt only to turn around and have to do the same to a x1900...

Last edited:
ScoobaMikey said:
*edit* one last question, does the 6 fans in "push-pull" really make that much of a difference in the open air?
I haven't done formal tests to know. But the reason I thought it would be helpful is because I used to only have three fans pushing air and when I put my hand over the BIX on the other side from the fans, I could hardly feel any air flow. So I decided to put three more fans pulling air on the other side. Now I know for sure that air is flowing through the whole thing very steady.

Last edited:
Revivalist said:
Yeah, I agree, it is pretty crammed. But it's my favorite case so I don't want to part with it unless I really have to. So far it's able to barely take all that I'm trying to put in it.

There's five hard drives. Four are 74GB Raptors in Raid 0 for performance. That's what I use for my main drive. The fifth drive is a Maxtor 300GB that I use to back up the Raptors. I just copy the Raptors right over to the Maxtor every week or so. I do this for three reasons . . .

1. I always have a bootable backup available in case any of the Raptors goes down.

2. I use the Maxtor to test overclocking speeds. That way if I ever corrupt Windows from clocking to high, I can just copy the Raptors to it again and keep testing, instead of having to install Windows and all my programs again.

3. I use the Maxtor to test programs. Whenever I want to test a program, I boot from the Maxtor and install it and try it. Then if I don't like it, I don't even have to uninstall it. The next time I copy the Raptors to the Maxtor it will be gone. That helps to reduce the fragmentation that comes from installing and uninstalling programs on the Raptors. Also, some programs that are written sloppy, don't completely uninstall everything they install to the registry, Windows folder, etc.

Some very good points you got there. Gets me thinkin about adding another raptor or maybe just another small hard drive for I already have one raptor and one 300gb Diamondmax

WOW! That is a really nice looking rig!

I was looking especially closely at the case, as I have an almost identical case, just a different front panel design, and it is black. I have Two hard drives, two CD drives, a floppy, a P4, a 9600PRO, a fan controller, all air cooling, and a 300W PSU, and there is not a heck of a lot of room. I love the way you have crammed everything in there, BUT with the price of your cooling system, wouldn't it be worth it to get one of these , as they have a lot more room (they also come in black, with doors etc)? Of course there are other large cases as well that would work well. With that much stuff, doesn't it get REALLY hot in there? Why do you need two (atx, not counting the meanwell) PSUs? Even powering the GPU pelt and 14 fans off of one PSU is reasonable, provided you have a 600-1000 watt psu. If you carefully figured out power draw, you might even be able to power the CPU pelt in addition to everything else off of a single 1000 watt PSU (or do you have a 15v Meanwell?). Also, do you have a relay for the second PSU so that they both power up at the same time? You can't possible be running that thing all the time? Isn't that thing LOUD with all of those fans? I am personally working on my case to get it quiet, with suspended hard drives, and 5V fans, so I may be a bit biased against all normally noisy machines.

As for the hard drives, that setup, although a tad bit overkill, is brilliant, with good backups for that likely to fail raid 0 setup. If you have the money, you may want to look into replacing the four with a pair of the newer, faster, 146GB drives for the same capacity, and close to the same speed. I like your install policy, as I have to reinstall every 6 months because of built up goo, even though on the next install I am not going to install any new software, and try to not even install some of the never-used stuff that I have now. My only comment about that is that the upper two drives get no cooling, which is why I used my upper bays for a fan controller, floppies, and the extra floppy and fan controller cabling. Of course, I only have two hard drives (120GB 7200.7's RAID 0, external BKUP), so that made it a lot easier.

Oh, another question: do the pelts heat the water up and cook the NB, or does that Rad suck all the heat out really fast?

Bigg said:
WOW! That is a really nice looking rig!
Thanks you! :) . . .

Oooh, you have lots of great questons. Let me go ahead and answer them one by one. . .

Bigg said:
I love the way you have crammed everything in there, BUT with the price of your cooling system, wouldn't it be worth it to get one of these , as they have a lot more room (they also come in black, with doors etc)? Of course there are other large cases as well that would work well.
Yes, you're right. . . . I guess this is the silly (and even stubborn) part of me but I really like my case to have the following qualities . . .

1. Green! (and also with a front bezel that I like)
2. Clear side panel with 120mm intake fan (this one came with a 80mm and I just bore it out to 120mm)
3. Aluminum (it's lighter, easier to cut, and supposedly better with heat)
4. Small enough to sit on my desk (I like to have it visible to look at and also to easily open and tweak at any time) . . .
5. Enough room for all my hardware (I admit this case barely makes it)

So, all in all, this case comes the closest to fulfilling all my preferences. ;)
Bigg said:
With that much stuff, doesn't it get REALLY hot in there?
You might expect that, but actually it doesn't. I think it's because of the following reasons:

1. All the major stuff is water cooled (or TEC-cooled): CPU, GPU, and north bridge.
2. Theres a 120mm blowing directly on the RAM and PWMIC. So the RAM stays at 29C-33C even at DDR650 with 2.9V. The PWMIC sensor stays at 30-35C.
4. There's a 80mm intake fan behind the bottom 3 Raptors and a 60mm intake fan behind the top Raptor and Maxtor. These help to bring cool air into the case and the Raptors stay at 32-35C.
5. There is a 120mm intake fan blowing on the video card to cool the VRAM and bring more cool air into the case.
6. In addition to what I already mentioned, there is another 80mm intake fan at the very bottom, three little 40mm fans intake fans at the very top in a 5.25" bay (to cool the Meanwell), two 80mm exhaust fans, and two more 80mm fans on the OCZ PSU that draw air from the case and blow it out. So overall there is sufficient circulatoin to keep everything cool. Who knows, maybe the restricted space even acts like a little wind tunnel. :)

Bigg said:
Why do you need two (atx, not counting the meanwell) PSUs? Even powering the GPU pelt and 14 fans off of one PSU is reasonable, provided you have a 600-1000 watt psu. If you carefully figured out power draw, you might even be able to power the CPU pelt in addition to everything else off of a single 1000 watt PSU (or do you have a 15v Meanwell?). Also, do you have a relay for the second PSU so that they both power up at the same time? You can't possible be running that thing all the time?
You're right. Actually, I calculated it and I could even power everything (besides the pelts) off of the 520W OCZ Powerstream. I guess this was just a carry over from the time when I only had the weak Aspire 500W (which doesn't hold stiff rails) and another weak 450W PSU. Using dual PSUs was a cheaper and more reliable method at the time. I'm planning to ditch the Aspire. . . .

As for the pelts, it's definately better to use an independent Meanwell. That way you can adjust the voltage to the pelts independent of the main PSU. Also, the Meanwell has a nice wide range for finding the "sweet spot" on the pelts. This one goes from 12.2V to 19V. . . . Yes, this is the 15V version although I probably would have been better off getting the 12V version since I found the minimum setting (12.2V) to be the most effective on this setup. . . .

You're right, I don't run it all the time. I can shut it off at any time to save power. In fact, I only need it on when I'm running 3.25GHz. I have tested the system stable up to 2.9GHz with it off. That's where I leave it for daily use. I only use 3.25GHz for gaming and benching. It's conveniently connected to the power console under my monitor so I can just hit the switch in front of my to turn it on. . . .

Yes, it's on a relay. In my opinion, that is a "must" in a TEC setup for safety reasons. (My wife might use my computer and forget to turn off the Meanwell . . . I've seen pictures of computers literally melting to ashes from the heat. :eek:

Bigg said:
Isn't that thing LOUD with all of those fans? I am personally working on my case to get it quiet, with suspended hard drives, and 5V fans, so I may be a bit biased against all normally noisy machines.
Almost every fan has a built in rheostat or is connected to a fan controller. For daily use, I keep all of them on low. The sound is pretty good. (Quiter than my sister's e-machine.) When I'm gaming or benching, I set it all on full blast. That can get pretty loud. But I usually have my headphone on anyway.

Bigg said:
As for the hard drives, that setup, although a tad bit overkill, is brilliant, with good backups for that likely to fail raid 0 setup. If you have the money, you may want to look into replacing the four with a pair of the newer, faster, 146GB drives for the same capacity, and close to the same speed.
Are you sure about that? :) . . . I've been reading reviews (like this one). It looks like 4x74GB Raptors is still faster than 2x150GB Raptors. I was considering the switch until I researched it.

Bigg said:
My only comment about that is that the upper two drives get no cooling, which is why I used my upper bays for a fan controller, floppies, and the extra floppy and fan controller cabling. Of course, I only have two hard drives (120GB 7200.7's RAID 0, external BKUP), so that made it a lot easier.
I managed to sneak a 60mm intake fan behind the Raptor and Maxtor. It was small enough for the floppy drive to still fit over it. . . . That one required some ingenuity, but it worked! ;)

Bigg said:
Oh, another question: do the pelts heat the water up and cook the NB, or does that Rad suck all the heat out really fast?
That was something I was concerned about at first. But when I set it up, I found the north bridge is always 31-35C in the same loop with the TECs, which is much better than the 45-50C that many people report. . . . So no, it doesn't cook. And I don't think it really affects the CPU and GPU temps by much either. . .

Whew, I think that's the longest post I've ever written. :) . . .

Revivalist said:
Thanks you! :) . . .

Oooh, you have lots of great questons. Let me go ahead and answer them one by one. . .

Yes, you're right. . . . I guess this is the silly (and even stubborn) part of me but I really like my case to have the following qualities . . .

1. Green! (and also with a front bezel that I like)
2. Clear side panel with 120mm intake fan (this one came with a 80mm and I just bore it out to 120mm)
3. Aluminum (it's lighter, easier to cut, and supposedly better with heat)
4. Small enough to sit on my desk (I like to have it visible to look at and also to easily open and tweak at any time) . . .
5. Enough room for all my hardware (I admit this case barely makes it)

Ah, its that green color!! : D You must really like to make a statement with that! See, I like mine nonchalant, but then again I have no bragging rights with a 2.4C and a 9600PRO under air. You still may want to look at the Lian-Li that I mentioned, or a PC-70 series, as they are aluminum, and you could probably fit the rad inside, on the top, in addition to having a pair of 5.15" bays for the meanwell. Maybe you will be forced to next time you try to put something else in there. I'd have to say though, I could NEVER put that much stuff, even in the full-tower version, I have a hard enough time with a normal amount of stull in my almost identical case. You have a lot of skill in packing that crap in. : D

Revivalist said:
So, all in all, this case comes the closest to fulfilling all my preferences. ;)
You might expect that, but actually it doesn't. I think it's because of the following reasons:

1. All the major stuff is water cooled (or TEC-cooled): CPU, GPU, and north bridge.

Yeah, thats probably it, all that heat goes out the back, the CPU is the main creator of heat with 50-100W for modern processors.

Revivalist said:
2. Theres a 120mm blowing directly on the RAM and PWMIC. So the RAM stays at 29C-33C even at DDR650 with 2.9V. The PWMIC sensor stays at 30-35C.
4. There's a 80mm intake fan behind the bottom 3 Raptors and a 60mm intake fan behind the top Raptor and Maxtor. These help to bring cool air into the case and the Raptors stay at 32-35C.
5. There is a 120mm intake fan blowing on the video card to cool the VRAM and bring more cool air into the case.
6. In addition to what I already mentioned, there is another 80mm intake fan at the very bottom, three little 40mm fans intake fans at the very top in a 5.25" bay (to cool the Meanwell), two 80mm exhaust fans, and two more 80mm fans on the OCZ PSU that draw air from the case and blow it out. So overall there is sufficient circulatoin to keep everything cool. Who knows, maybe the restricted space even acts like a little wind tunnel. :)

You're right. Actually, I calculated it and I could even power everything (besides the pelts) off of the 520W OCZ Powerstream. I guess this was just a carry over from the time when I only had the weak Aspire 500W (which doesn't hold stiff rails) and another weak 450W PSU. Using dual PSUs was a cheaper and more reliable method at the time. I'm planning to ditch the Aspire. . . .

As for the pelts, it's definately better to use an independent Meanwell. That way you can adjust the voltage to the pelts independent of the main PSU. Also, the Meanwell has a nice wide range for finding the "sweet spot" on the pelts. This one goes from 12.2V to 19V. . . . Yes, this is the 15V version although I probably would have been better off getting the 12V version since I found the minimum setting (12.2V) to be the most effective on this setup. . . .

Is that due to the heat dissipation of the radiator, impressive as it is? Given ununlimited amount of heat dissipation, the higher the voltage the cooler the processor and GPU, right?

Revivalist said:
You're right, I don't run it all the time. I can shut it off at any time to save power. In fact, I only need it on when I'm running 3.25GHz. I have tested the system stable up to 2.9GHz with it off. That's where I leave it for daily use. I only use 3.25GHz for gaming and benching. It's conveniently connected to the power console under my monitor so I can just hit the switch in front of my to turn it on. . . .

Yes, it's on a relay. In my opinion, that is a "must" in a TEC setup for safety reasons. (My wife might use my computer and forget to turn off the Meanwell . . . I've seen pictures of computers literally melting to ashes from the heat. :eek:

Yeah, that sounds pretty nececary. I guess its the same way starting up, and even with just liquid, although that won't melt down, it will just shut off, although now it seems like all of the pumps are 12V which is really convenient.

Revivalist said:
Almost every fan has a built in rheostat or is connected to a fan controller. For daily use, I keep all of them on low. The sound is pretty good. (Quiter than my sister's e-machine.) When I'm gaming or benching, I set it all on full blast. That can get pretty loud. But I usually have my headphone on anyway.

Bet its not as quiet as a Dell BTX machine, or a my machine with 6 Panaflows? : D I KNOW your computer could kick my computer's @$$ anyday in any benchmark though. : D

Revivalist said:
Are you sure about that? :) . . . I've been reading reviews (like this one). It looks like 4x74GB Raptors is still faster than 2x150GB Raptors. I was considering the switch until I researched it.

Oh. Is that performance really noticable? Its seems like Windows trips over itself more than the disks do even with a single 7200RPM disk. Or are you doing a lot of design/video/photo work?

Revivalist said:
I managed to sneak a 60mm intake fan behind the Raptor and Maxtor. It was small enough for the floppy drive to still fit over it. . . . That one required some ingenuity, but it worked! ;)

That explains it. That would keep those drives cool.

Revivalist said:
That was something I was concerned about at first. But when I set it up, I found the north bridge is always 31-35C in the same loop with the TECs, which is much better than the 45-50C that many people report. . . . So no, it doesn't cook. And I don't think it really affects the CPU and GPU temps by much either. . .

It wouldn't effect the CPU or GPU temps, but that rad must be helping. :D Given unlimited funds and space, it would be optimal to run the NB and possible RAMsinks, HDs, and GPU RAM off of a separate look with a 2x80 or 1x120 rad.

Revivalist said:
Whew, I think that's the longest post I've ever written. :) . . .

BTW, those Ds are supposed to be smileys, but the forum software freaked out and said there were too many images. :(

Bigg said:
Ah, its that green color!! : D You must really like to make a statement with that! . . . I'd have to say though, I could NEVER put that much stuff, even in the full-tower version, I have a hard enough time with a normal amount of stull in my almost identical case. You have a lot of skill in packing that crap in.
LOL . . . well, I didn't really mean to make a statement. It's just that green is my favorite color. . . . But yeah, it does take a bit of planning before I install something in order to know if it will fit and how to arrange things. . . . And yes, I do receive a lot of criticism for how packed it is. But I like it and I think it performs well, so I guess that's what matters. :)

Bigg said:
Is that due to the heat dissipation of the radiator, impressive as it is? Given ununlimited amount of heat dissipation, the higher the voltage the cooler the processor and GPU, right?
Yes, that's right. But it's commonly known that pelts usually need to be run at about 70% of their peak power to be efficient. Otherwise too much electrical power is turned into heat and they start to become counter-productive. It would basically require something like super-chilled water to keep the pelt cooled enough to run close to peak power and still give some gains. . . .

Bigg said:
Oh. Is that performance really noticable? Its seems like Windows trips over itself more than the disks do even with a single 7200RPM disk. Or are you doing a lot of design/video/photo work?
I definitely notice the performance gains with the Raptors. You probably know that the hard drive is the slowest component in a computer these days. So to me, it's important to maximize it as much as possible. It shows up in almost every activity: booting into Windows, opening applications, loading games, editing photos, music and video, transferring files, etc. . . I personally think it is more valuable for daily use then super high-speed video performance. After all, that's only really helpful in one thing: games. . . .

By the way, I never noticed that Windows itself isn't able to make use of the extra burst and sustained transfer speed.

Bigg said:
It wouldn't effect the CPU or GPU temps, but that rad must be helping. :D
Well, some people say that the added restriction of the north bridge block (which usually has small channels) would inhibit water flow and lower cooling performance on other components in the loop like the CPU and GPU. Some people even go as far as saying that the added heat of the NB will further detract from performance on other components. And since having a cooler NB doesn't typically help with a better overclock, many say it's just worthless. . . . But honestly, I think with a good pump and radiator, it works just fine without affecting other components. And I prefer to keep it nice cool (like 35C under load instead of 50C) without having to put a big old heatsink on it that will get in the way of other stuff like the video cards, cables, etc. . . . I guess it's all up to each person's opinion.

Bigg said:
Given unlimited funds and space, it would be optimal to run the NB and possible RAMsinks, HDs, and GPU RAM off of a separate look with a 2x80 or 1x120 rad.
That's true. But given that most people do have limited funds and space, it's usually a bad idea to try something like that. I think that water-cooling the RAM and HDDs is totally unnecessary. They only need a small fan blowing on them to keep them at perfectly reasonable temps.

Bigg said:
BTW, those Ds are supposed to be smileys, but the forum software freaked out and said there were too many images. :(
Sorry, I guess my smileys took up the max allowed in a post. :)

thlnk3r said:
good god, 146 @ 3.25ghz :clap: good deal man, nice setup!
Thank you very much. . . . But I'll be honest, I'm definitely not the only one to be able to run a 146 CABYE 0540 at those speeds. :)

I'm anxious to see how high your GPU clock (and how low your temp) can go with that 80W pelt. I'm in the design stage of an air cooled (gasp!) pelt setup for my eVGA FX5900. I should be able to do an 80W pelt with my standard 350 watt PSU as it has a 16A 12v rail. I have only the FX5900 (max 5-6 amp draw at the clock speeds I'm hoping for), 1 40GB single platter Maxtor (max 1.3 amp), and a 40x IDE-CDROM. All the fans in the system draw less than 2A total. Motherboards typically don't use much +12v at all, except for serial ports, which I'm not using. Under my present load, the 12v rail hovers around 11.8v. An 80w pelt from DangerDen draws 8A max, and I would assume that's at it's max input of 16v. It may turn out that this PSU doesn't like running close to full load on its 12v rail, but I'll find out soon. I'll be running an AC muffin fan to cool the TEC heatsink, so no 12V draw there. I just don't know if an 80 will be enough, considering the FX59xx series cards suck more total power than any GPU before or since:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-vs-nv-power_9.html
(these figures are for the entire vid card, not just the GPU. I'd assume the GPU is about 85-90% of the total).

On another note, to help keep your case from "cramping" your style ;), something you might want to look at is this chassis:

NetserverPurple.jpg

netserver.jpg

http://www.chenbro.com.tw/usa/product/product_preview.php?pid=74

Follow the chenbro link and take a look at the internal layout.

I bought one of these back in 2000 for $300 (dealer cost) with a 300W Sparkle PSU, and it's served me very well as a server case. In fact, it's serving the images in this post, as it's my web server, among other duties. They've always been somewhat of a rare product, as there is but a single U.S. distributor that handles them. They are typically purchased direct from this distributor (although I can't recall the name) by niche whitebox integrators that do custom server work. I designed and built custom servers while working at one such company at the time, however most of my projects were 48 VDC NEBS compliant telco rack servers and SCSI RAID chasses. I bought the two-tone blue model before it was discontinued. I just google'd for it, and there are some U.S. e-tailers that carry it for around $200 without a PSU. Only one of them showed a pic of it, so make sure the manufacturer part number is listed, and correct, which is SR10303, typically followed by a two letter color code, should you decide to order one. They apparently only come in black or gray now.

I forsee in the not to distant future I'll probably go to some form of water or phase change system, and at this point I will use this case for my workstation. The reasons are obvious, from a functionality standpoint, if not necessarily an aesthetic one. I like the aesthetics, but that's just my taste. Anything that looks like a powerful server, to me, is cool. You can put neon fans in and get a pretty cool effect thru the front of the mobo half of the chassis, although you'll have to do without a transparent side panel, unless you chose to mod one in. I can put everthing I need inside this case, and have maximum airflow and velocity due to the lack of turbulence (like that found in most cramped mini tower cases). The right side of the chassis is one large open cavity. 8 drives, a large radiator, a pump, and 2 power supplies fit in this space easily (and anything else your imagination can come up with). This chassis is simply cavernous.

One other huge advantage of this chassis is that you can eliminate the need for multiple fans to cool the radiator. The rear panel of the drive bay half of the chassis has an integral mount for a 120mm fan. Why would this be an advantage, since most 120mm fans top out at ~110 cf/m max? Because there is enough area on the back panel that the fan hole can be enlarged to fit a 160mm wide industrial AC fan. One advantage of going this single fan route is static pressure. The reason you didn't seem to "feel" any air coming out of your radiator with 3 120mm fans mounted to the front is the drop in static pressure caused by the restrictive nature of the fins, and the low static pressure of the DC PanaFlows you're using. Check out these two AC fans from Sanyo Denki and Comair Rotron:

http://sanyodb.colle.co.jp/product_db_e/coolingfan/acfan/ac_fan_detail.php?master_id=440
http://www.comairrotron.com/ac_family.asp?FamilyID=39

They each flow 250-300 cf/m, but more importantly, have MUCH higher static pressure than all the various fans that are peddled to PC modders/enthusiasts; we're talking 3-6 times the pressure. Pressure is required to overcome resistance. Heatsinks and radiators present a huge resistive load to fans. Some good info in this thread regarding airflow resistance and fan pressures:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=327785

There is a direct relationship between flow, pressure, and power consumption. If you don't have the resources to find out the pressure rating of a fan you already own, look at the amperage draw rating on the tag on the back of the motor. Multiply that by the voltage to find the wattage consumption. Few 12VDC "PC type" fans use more than 10 watts, thus indicating they produce low pressure, and fairly low flow. Look at product line cards, pick two fans the same size (diameter x depth). The higher consumption model with have higher RPM, pressure, and flow, but the pressure increase will be greater than that of the RPM or flow, typically 3 times the pressure, but less than double the RPM and flow. Take a quick peek at this http://www.eminebea.com/content/pdf/TMP00123/M/2410ml.pdf to see the relationships between power, RPM, pressure, and flow.

The two ~160mm AC fans listed above consume ~40W. So, yet another advantage of going with a single high pressure AC fan, obviously, is that all the power required for it to do its job comes from the wall, not your power supply. With relays and/or toggle switches, a 110VAC input plug cannibalized from an old junk AT PSU, some 16 AWG wire and some soldering, this is a no-brainer to do. Pushing the air "harder" requires more work. Very simplified, watts = work.

The noise level of each of these two AC fans at full boogie is ~60 dB. This chassis is most likely not going to be sitting on your desk, but on the floor, so 60 dB is going to get muffled quite a bit due to this alone, not to mention the fact that this case is fairly sonically "dead", as it's very solid and well built, with zero panel resonance. I'd guess that your HDs would be hiding most of this fan's noise. ;)

I wish that the "neweggs" and/or the more specialized modder e-tailers of the world carried these products that are much better suited to the overclocker/modder scene that the low end "junk" that's available now. This is one reason I won't use colored fans, as they are all lowball, low quality junk. You'd have to pay me to take a Sunon, and then I'd toss it in the can and keep the cash. At least there is some PanaFlow, Delta, and Pabst stuff available thru the main outlets, but these are only the low end of each company's respective product line. The other "Top shelf" manufacturers are Sanyo Denki, NMB, Nidec, Comair Rotron, JMC (did I miss any?). These are the fans, impellers, and blowers you'll find in Sun's 72 CPU servers, SGI and Cray supercomputers, HPs 64 CPU servers, specialized ruggedized military electronics...you get the idea. My apologies for my zealotry here, but I really like top quality fans, and have a fair bit of experience with them and fairly high end electronics air cooling designs. Maybe now you have an idea why I'm going the air cooled route for my first TEC. ;) Join me on the Dark Side. Best place to pick up these "industrial strength" fans is at "electronics exchange" type places. There are at least two in St. Louis that I frequent, and I'm sure there are in most major cities. These places have alll kinds of great stuff. For instance, today I found 5 110 VAC-12 VDC power supplies rated from 3 to 20A, that had been cannibalized from some kind of industrial device--top price? $25 And this stuff is built to be abused. Compare that to the hundreds for new "specialty" supplies from various "overclocker" e-tailers

You could mount one of either of the two 160mm AC fans I recommended (or an equivalent) to the back panel/wall of the Chenbro, obviously after cutting a larger fan hole and drilling new mounting holes. I recommend a square cut, not circular, as it's easier to do and comes out looking better. If required due to the dimensions of the radiator, cut some kind of sheetmetal "frame" to mount the radiator in the chassis, eliminating air leakage around the frame of the radiator. Attach some kind of foam or weather stripping around the edges for a tight seal. Mount the radiator just far enough away from the back panel (and thus the fan, which alone is about 2 inches deep) to allow room for your PSU(s). Seal up any small holes/gaps in the back panel (there are a few by deisgn). Additionally you may have to stuff the "cable pass through" holes at the top and bottom (power, SCSI/SATA/etc from mobo side to disk bay side) as well. The goal here is making sure all airflow through this half the chassis comes in the front door and passes through the radiator, with no air bypassing it. Don't be tempted to relocate the PSUs and mount the radiator directly in front of the fan "mouth". I say this assuming the radiator is at least a few inches taller than the fan diameter. We need to make sure the fan is pulling air somewhat evenly through all the fins, top to bottom, so the radiator can't be in extreme proximity to the fan. If it is, the top half of the radiator will get great airflow, but the bottom half will suffer.

HOWEVER, if you choose to go with 2 of these AC monsters (probably not needed--strictly for "wow" factor and bragging rights?) instead of one, *DO* mount the radiator directly to the interior side of the back panel. Then mount the two fans on the exterior side. If you do this, you'll obviously need to completely cut all the panel out except the half inch or so on each side required for the screw/bolt holes. You'll also have to relocate your PSUs to the middle.

In case you're wondering, static pressure is a measured differential between two environments, so there is no functional difference if the fan is in front or back of the radiator. With heatsinks it can make a difference, but there are all kinds of dynamics that come into play because of angular momentum, surface deflections, swirling, etc. These things don't come into play with a radiator--in the front and out the back--no angles or deflections to deal with.

If you choose to accept this misson, you will find yourself pleased and amazed at the fantastic design and endless possibilities of this chassis. Upon completion of this project, you will power up the system. You will then proceed to open the front door and stick your hand in front of the radiator. You will be amazed at the amount of suction you feel, assuring you that you're getting maximum capacity from that radiator.

Good god this post got long....manic evening I guess. ;)

Hey guys, I've been having some hang-ups pulling off v-mods on my video cards so my system is down right now. But if all goes well, I should have things handled by this weekend and be able to report temps with this setup. So far I can only report temps on the CPU which are -4C / 15C (idle/load) while running 3.27GHz with 1.55V Vcore. But that will probably change when I add to the loop two 7800GTXs with TECs. . . .

Yes, the CMOS jumper was literally impossible to reach. But I decided to remove the lower PSU so I have access to it now. :)

Back