• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's your favorite screensaver?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It is called "solarwinds". From what I know, it is a linux only one. It comes with Ubuntu.

The standard windows picture screensaver stutters unbearably on my machine, with no apparent rememedy. So, I use Google Photo Screensaver - with lots of pretty pictures. :)

You can get it as part of the google pack or as a separate download on google

just a mass mix of pics Ive gathered over the years band logos screen shots last rites artwork, work from some of my favorite tattoo artists all kinds of stuff they just play continuously on my laptop

Currently: monitor turns off

:p

Same here, I just turn off the screen when I walk away from the computer. These days I usually turn off the computer too. If its something like a Mac that has a built-in screen then I use the settings in the Energy Saver system pref to turn the screen off after a few minutes, or use the similar power saving features built into Windows to accomplish the same thing. If it's a laptop, I close the screen and walk away.

To answer the question about screen savers though, I think the Windows Energy screen saver built into Vista is cool looking but too repetitive, and probably too resource intensive as well. Any of the screensavers that rotate through pictures stored on the hard drive would be my favorite and probably the one I would use if I used a screensaver.

Last edited:
Blank screen, screen turns off after 5 minutes. Before I started running seti, I used the electric sheep screensaver that Adragontattoo posted.

I have a place where MANY monitors will be on most of the day and was getting tired of looking at the default ones and Boinc.

The Electric Sheep looks like it will be fun. Installed and downloading packs now.

Matrix screensaver from kellys is the only one I have used in recent years, Generally just shut the monitor off after 5 minutes.

I can only use 17 work stations and 142 monitors at once. I'm only human.....

...for now. :D

I use the one called "nature" that's included in XP MCE on my laptop. FOr my desktop, I use one called Helios.

Thideras, I think I might have that screensaver for Windows. I have a pack of about 10 different opengl screensavers that I found a while ago. I could probably find a place to host them if your interested.

Some have matrox QIDs. Some have 16 port video slpitters, some Nvidia CAD cards, etc...

Really liking the electric sheep one. It is almost exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited:
No Vista love for the sheep it seems. And no multi monitor use either. Still looks great though.

No Vista love for the sheep it seems. And no multi monitor use either. Still looks great though.
I had to get the beta for it to work in Vista 64bit. Again, no multi monitor support, but works great otherwise :)

Back