• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2600k oc question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've got another 2600K that seems to overclock very well. I'm at 4.8 with 1.35v setting. My highest temp in prime95 has been 68C on the hottest core.

I haven't had time to tinker with it much. I built it, set the voltage to 1.35 and bumped the multiplier to 40. It passed Prime95, so I bumped it to 45 and it passed Prime95 again, so I now sit at 48 still at 1.35v. If I have time this weekend, I'll see if 49 and 50 will work.

I've seen that breakdown that Doz posted elsewhere, it seems those numbers may be a bit conservative. I'm happy anyway!

*Edit*
I got home a few hours ago and set the multiplier to 49 and bumped the voltage to 1.36, and ran Prime95 for about 4 hours; I know not a real long time, but it ran fine with one core hitting 71C. I'll run it overnight to see what happens. Updated below. If/once I hit 5.0, I'll start backing down the voltage as far as I can. Also I'm on air; Megahalem with push/pull Excalibur's.

*Edit 2*Ahh! I set the multi to 50 and after few runs I've had to set the voltage to 1.4. I'm getting avg temps in the mid 70C. Set things back to my successful 4800 settings and I'll be happy with that, for now!

~Ahlhorn

Last edited:
I've got another 2600K that seems to overclock very well. I'm at 4.8 with 1.35v setting. My highest temp in prime95 has been 68C on the hottest core.

I haven't had time to tinker with it much. I built it, set the voltage to 1.35 and bumped the multiplier to 40. It passed Prime95, so I bumped it to 45 and it passed Prime95 again, so I now sit at 48 still at 1.35v. If I have time this weekend, I'll see if 49 and 50 will work.

I've seen that breakdown that Doz posted elsewhere, it seems those numbers may be a bit conservative. I'm happy anyway!

*Edit*
I got home a few hours ago and set the multiplier to 49 and bumped the voltage to 1.36, and ran Prime95 for about 4 hours; I know not a real long time, but it ran fine with one core hitting 71C. I'll run it overnight to see what happens. Updated below. If/once I hit 5.0, I'll start backing down the voltage as far as I can. Also I'm on air; Megahalem with push/pull Excalibur's.

*Edit 2*Ahh! I set the multi to 50 and after few runs I've had to set the voltage to 1.4. I'm getting avg temps in the mid 70C. Set things back to my successful 4800 settings and I'll be happy with that, for now!

~Ahlhorn

what mobo u using ? what can u post u bios settings ?

What are you getting for idle temps at 50x? in the mid-70s with the prime95 load, I would still consider that quite safe as the load that p95 would put on your chip is more than anything else that you would normally witness.

what mobo u using ? what can u post u bios settings ?

I currently have an Asus P8P67 WS Revolution. I had two cores hit 76C with the vcore set to 1.41. Let me try it again overnight to see what happens and I'll report back.

My idle temps are in the upper 30C's. I agree that the Prime temps are over and above what I'd see in normal use, but they still are more than I've seen in all my years of building and overclocking; my first was a Pentium 233 overclocked to 266! lol! That was a few years back when no fan or heat-sink was required!

~Ahlhorn

* 8/11/2011 / 23:32 EDT
I'm currently running/testing 5.0 at 1.43v. I plan to let it run overnight and until I get home tomorrow after work; let's see what happens. Currently temps range from 67C to 77C across the cores.

Last edited:
I currently have an Asus P8P67 WS Revolution. I had two cores hit 76C with the vcore set to 1.41. Let me try it again overnight to see what happens and I'll report back.

My idle temps are in the upper 30C's. I agree that the Prime temps are over and above what I'd see in normal use, but they still are more than I've seen in all my years of building and overclocking; my first was a Pentium 233 overclocked to 266! lol! That was a few years back when no fan or heat-sink was required!

~Ahlhorn

* 8/11/2011 / 23:32 EDT
I'm currently running/testing 5.0 at 1.43v. I plan to let it run overnight and until I get home tomorrow after work; let's see what happens. Currently temps range from 67C to 77C across the cores.

Well, I woke up this morning and saw that it rebooted sometime during the night. I didn't have time to do anything else because I was heading out to work; I plan to mess with it later. Normally if it needs more voltage, it'll just blue screen and sit there until I restart it. Since I was heading into the upper 70'sC' on the 4.9 run, I'm pretty sure this was a temp issue.

wont blue screen for temps until u get into the 90's
someone correct me if im wrong but i remember reading that shut down temps for the i series was 100c?

wont blue screen for temps until u get into the 90's
someone correct me if im wrong but i remember reading that shut down temps for the i series was 100c?

Well hell, I guess I'll just have to start it back up when I get home and hang around while it does its thing. We had bad weather last night, but that was before I started the run, and I didn't notice any clocks blinking in the house.

At 48 with 1.35v, things are nice and cool, 49 and 50 with additional voltage are turning out to be mutha's to nail down!

Well hell, I guess I'll just have to start it back up when I get home and hang around while it does its thing. We had bad weather last night, but that was before I started the run, and I didn't notice any clocks blinking in the house.

At 48 with 1.35v, things are nice and cool, 49 and 50 with additional voltage are turning out to be mutha's to nail down!

Alrighty. I've been running Prime95 for the past 2-3hours with a 50 multi and a 1.45v core voltage setting. Core temps are ranging from the lowest core running between 71-76C to the highest core running between 78-86C. I'll let it run all night to see what happens. With a little luck I have a solid 5.0GHz 2600K. :attn:

Here's the CPU-Z dump from the current run:
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1950179

Last edited:
Well, the beast ran all night, 10+ hours, without failing. The temps peaked a little higher than I would've liked, one hit 90C 46 minutes into the run, but the averages ranged from a low core temp of 68C to a high core temp of 79C.

I'll try it out in a few games today to see what happens.

~Ahlhorn

That's a little higher than I would have liked to see on the chip but I'm glad it is stable. For 24/7 clocks I would like to keep the vcore down around 1.35-1.4 but I believe that 1.45 is about the max to use before you may start to see some chip degradation.

That's a little higher than I would have liked to see on the chip but I'm glad it is stable. For 24/7 clocks I would like to keep the vcore down around 1.35-1.4 but I believe that 1.45 is about the max to use before you may start to see some chip degradation.

Yea, I'm not to pleased with the vcore or the temps. I think I'm going to go back to 4.8 @ 1.35, I don't think I'll notice any difference; except in my mind.

~Ahlhorn

Back