• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

really poor stability in an i5 750 / p55 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hedgehog brown

Registered
i can't see anywhere else to post this, so i'm just going to dive right in, and the mods can move this if they need to.

hello all, i joined so i could pose this question to people with more experience than i have. i bought off a friend who was moving to asia an i5 750 based computer on an asrock p55 extreme board (for a coll 100 dollars :D). i told him i'd get it up to 4ghz, and after i purchased an antec kuler 620 and fit a push/pull fan profile up for it, i did so. but i couldn't get it to pass prime for the life of me. nothing i did made any difference until i lowered the voltage on my ram by a click, which seems strange. then it got way more usable, but still not passing prime. i'm unable to get to 3.8 with the following voltages:
vcore: 1.4
vtt: 1.354
ram: 1.643
pll: 1.878
pch: 1.113
qpi: 6.112gt (this is the lowest setting available)

i feel that this should be quite enough. i've played around with the multiplier, turned turbo on and off, even brought the blk down to give me 3.77, and it still won't run prime for more than about 10 minutes. the temps don't really go above 68c, so i don't think it can be a temp problem. what am i missing here?

thanks!

i5 750
asrock p55 extreme
corsair tx750
4gb xms 3
powercolor 5770
antec 620 kuhler

Last edited:
i should add that i've turned off all the power states and everything like that. as far as i can tell, all the bios options outside the oc options are where they should be.

You should add your RAM spec, and the speed w/multis your running it as well.

If you did a proper overclock, you would have found out the max Bclk you can run your CPU.

Then you need to know the max speed you can run your ram.

Check out Miahallen's guide and follow it to the letter. Be aware though, that although there are i5 750s running upwards of 5ghz, this is usually not off of air AND definitely not 24/7 OCs AND since I have burnt up a i7 860, I would add possible to kill a processor.

Cooling is key. Do not use too much voltage, so start at the bottom and take baby steps.

4.0 ghz is considered standard for a high end cooling system with a good Motherboard, so keep at it. But don't be surprised if you only end up at 3.8, because not all boards/cpus/ram were created equally.

Good luck.

P.S. I might add that most of my stability problems ended up being RAM and the weak IMC of the Intel Processor I had. Its a well known problem on the web that is compounded by the thought of "If I use faster RAM my computer will run faster". Intel only supports 1066 and 1333MHz speeds. If your trying to overclock with speeds faster than that, then turn them back down until you get a solid overclock (you would be doing this if you follow Miah's guide). No matter what the RAM manufacturer rates their RAM at or no matter what the Motherboard is capable of running, an i-series is only recommended 1066 and 1333 speeds, this is direct from Intel so keep that in mind. Check out my other threads for more details on this.

Last edited:
i have found that i have a large vcore dip regardless of whether vdroop is on. i can't seem to find llc in this bios though. it's gone down to 1.2v without vdroop.

wow, it's really all over the place. voltage is different in every update. anywhere from 1.28 to 1.45 (got it set to 1.5v now as i'm certain it won't go that high)

wow, it's really all over the place. voltage is different in every update. anywhere from 1.28 to 1.45 (got it set to 1.5v now as i'm certain it won't go that high)

Not recommended. Again, start over. Your just raising voltage and there is a lot more to it. It could be your ram, too high of Bclk, or too low of a different voltage causing your problem. I would never start your overclock at 1.5V. Find out why your Vdroop is so back and forth. You should be able to get a stable 4.0 with about 1.3-1.35V.

i started having this problem at 1.35v. thanks to this strange asrock unified multipliers, i only have a couple of options as far as ram goes. it's 667mhz ram, and i can either run it at 570 something, 740 something, or an even higher rate. i've tried both. those are the only options in the bios at 3.8.

as it stands, i'm trying 191 x 20, although i have tried as far down as 171 and still nothing. i just raised the voltage temporarily to see if it would stabilize the vcore, or at least raise it. according to cpu-z, it has never actually gotten that high.

i had the same setup the 750 and the asrock extreme, the biggest problem with the setup i had was the RAM the mobo only liked certain ones, one stick of ddr1333 would oc better than another stick of ddr1333 with the same timings, voltages and everything.
4ghz was easy with the one stick, just needed some vcore added to the cpu, the other stick on the other hand i think 3.6 was best i could pull and that had some extra VTT and vcore...
so yes like the guy before said we need more info on your ram :)

How to ask questions.

Before You Ask:

Before asking a technical question by e-mail, or in a newsgroup, or on a website chat board, do the following:

• Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum you plan to post to.
- This forum is riddled with people with the exact same problems.

• Try to find an answer by searching the Web.
- a simple Google search will provide you with the location of LLC for your Motherboard

• Try to find an answer by reading the manual.
- The manual should have been the first resource you checked once you realized that your Vdroop needed to be enabled or disabled.

• Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.
- Miah's guide contains many FAQs.

• Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.
- Do this after you fully understand how to do a basic overclock.

• Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend.
- That's what we are, hopefully your not offended by my post.

asrkb2.jpg

I am not trying to be demeaning, I just want to help. You are a new member here and since we do not know your level of experience it is best to start out from scratch. Please explain how you have come to your current settings.

i started having this problem at 1.35v. thanks to this strange asrock unified multipliers, i only have a couple of options as far as ram goes. it's 667mhz ram, and i can either run it at 570 something, 740 something, or an even higher rate. i've tried both. those are the only options in the bios at 3.8.

as it stands, i'm trying 191 x 20, although i have tried as far down as 171 and still nothing. i just raised the voltage temporarily to see if it would stabilize the vcore, or at least raise it. according to cpu-z, it has never actually gotten that high.

Ok, at 570Mhz you are underclocked and at 740MHz you are overclocked. Your since it is rated for 667 you might eek out 700, but 740 may be pushing it. Go with the lower speed. Next, you need to understand that processors as well as Motherboards can be Bclk limited. This is why you start out with your RAM first to test its limits, without overclocking the the processor. Once you know the RAM limits, then you move on to finding the Bclk max. Miah's guide will explain this and help you further.

Really, give this a good read and start over from scratch.

http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/

How to ask questions.

Before You Ask:

Before asking a technical question by e-mail, or in a newsgroup, or on a website chat board, do the following:

• Try to find an answer by searching the archives of the forum you plan to post to.
- This forum is riddled with people with the exact same problems.

i have googled this problem fairly extensively, but couldn't see anybody with this board having truly crazy voltage problems. most of them were fluctuating by like .02v or so, which is a much milder problem. results from this website were included but not completely revelatory, so i signed up.

• Try to find an answer by searching the Web.
- a simple Google search will provide you with the location of LLC for your Motherboard

see above. i'm not convinced there is an llc setting independent of the vdroop setting because:

• Try to find an answer by reading the manual.
- The manual should have been the first resource you checked once you realized that your Vdroop needed to be enabled or disabled.

not only have many google searches failed to turn up anyone with this board referring to their llc, but those words don't appear in the manual. which i searched.

• Try to find an answer by reading a FAQ.
- Miah's guide contains many FAQs.
i am plowing through that now, was hoping someone would just own or have owned the board and enlighten me quickly on any voltage problems they may or may not have had.

• Try to find an answer by inspection or experimentation.
- Do this after you fully understand how to do a basic overclock.
i've been working on this for a couple of weeks now in my spare time, so i've obviously failed here. thus:

• Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend.
- That's what we are, hopefully your not offended by my post.
i'm not afraid to ask, although i've got a decent sense of what i'm doing, i've only ever worked on a lga775 chip before.

asrkb2.jpg

I am not trying to be demeaning, I just want to help. You are a new member here and since we do not know your level of experience it is best to start out from scratch. Please explain how you have come to your current settings.

where it says ioh voltage in the guide, should i be looking at pch? 1.3 seems kinda high.

Yes, that is PCH.

From the guide. IOH Core Voltage- This voltage aids when increasing base clocks above say 200. In most cases leaving it at auto works best.

Since you are probably limited to 190, I would leave it on auto.

ah ok. because in the step by step section, the first step is to raise your vtt by.2, and your ioh should be set at 1.30 for a single video card.

Answer me this:
- without overclocking your processor, how high can you overclock your RAM?

- with the lowest possible processor multiplier, what is your highest Bclk?

These two answers will tell me your on the right track or not.

i don't know yet, because i'm still trying to decide what to do about the pch voltage :D

i was just about to start inching up my bclk, but wanted to make sure that in my first pass i wouldn't burn out the pch. never had it above 1.1, and setting it to 1.3 is what the guide says after lowering the multipliers.

Bclock voltages

For this step, there are only two voltages you should play with; VTT, and IOH. IOH is easy, if you are running a single PCIe card (graphics card), give the IOH 1.3V, if you are running more than one PCIe graphics card, give it 1.35V. VTT is the crucial voltage adjustment for achieving high bclock stability, which is also known as “CPU VTT”, “QPI/VTT”, or “QPI/DRAM”. This is the voltage that is fed to the IMC (Integrated Memory Controller), and also has a major impact in overclocking the bclock. CPU VTT is the crucial voltage adjustment for achieving high bclock stability. Stock values differ depending on platform and CPU, but as a rule of thumb LGA1366 likes a lot, P55 doesn’t need as much.

So, are you ready to start overclocking? After entering your BIOS and lowering the CPU & MEM multipliers, go to the voltages section and raise your IOH to 1.3-1.35V and your CPU VTT to +0.2V.

Back