• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good gaming mouse? (2012 edition)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Been using a Death Adder for a few years now, VERY pleased with it. I don't need all the fancy buttons.

heh "fancy" :D. Yea, i didnt want a Ton of buttons *cough* Razor Naga *cough* but i did want a few i could program. And im attached to my G5's DPI buttons now heh. But there is something to be said for something not complicated that works very well :)

heh "fancy" :D. Yea, i didnt want a Ton of buttons *cough* Razor Naga *cough* but i did want a few i could program. And im attached to my G5's DPI buttons now heh. But there is something to be said for something not complicated that works very well :)

+1
as i told earlier i have a too many buttons mouse *cough* Razor Naga *cough*, and man it was a pain in the a**. i tried using it for so many games but always end up forgetting the keys. although the grip and feel was good but you must have a good memory to use it or practice with it for a year or so to get it right.

my G500 have sufficient keys to perform good. and use of DPI is awesome while sniping or using it for opening locks in skyrim or making precise adjustment in Maya or 3ds MAX. and the fast scrolling function also comes handy while surfing net.

+1
as i told earlier i have a too many buttons mouse *cough* Razor Naga *cough*, and man it was a pain in the a**. i tried using it for so many games but always end up forgetting the keys. although the grip and feel was good but you must have a good memory to use it or practice with it for a year or so to get it right.

my G500 have sufficient keys to perform good. and use of DPI is awesome while sniping or using it for opening locks in skyrim or making precise adjustment in Maya or 3ds MAX. and the fast scrolling function also comes handy while surfing net.

The G500 was my 2nd choice behind this 700 i got. It looks like a very nice improvement over the G5. The 700's wireless option was a big selling point for me tho cause my laptop is still capable and its nice i can just take this mouse with me instead of bringing a corded one. :)

The G500 was my 2nd choice behind this 700 i got. It looks like a very nice improvement over the G5. The 700's wireless option was a big selling point for me tho cause my laptop is still capable and its nice i can just take this mouse with me instead of bringing a corded one. :)

lucky you! 700 wasn't available in india when i bought 500..:(

You still in Paris?

I couldn't imagine it being a difficult mouse to find in any developed country.

(Paris not being in a developed country :p)

Nah I'm in Spain now. There are certain things you just CAN'T GET here. Like real Gibson guitars...

They carry the full spectrum of Logitech devices here... mainly everything BUT the MX518.

+1
true man.. somebody must have really huge hands to use the weights. at starting i put some weights in the mouse and i was like" yaa man! my mouse has extra weights, i can customize it in whatever way i want:cool:", but after few weeks and some 18-20 hours straight sitting on my pc, i was like "man! logitech wants to break my wrist":rofl:
now the weights are back in there fancy cover.

Yeah. The weights are a bit silly. I can't imagine who would use them for what. Maybe snipers to make movement more rigid or something...

I own a G5 (v1) since 2007 (won it from a counter-strike 1.6 tournament sponsored by Logitech) and I'm pretty happy with it.
Most of you guys think that the mouse is a key factor or something, when it's actually not.
Its all about the skill, you might own the best mouse possible and get your butt kicked by a guy with a $2 A4Tech mouse.

I own a G5 (v1) since 2007 (won it from a counter-strike 1.6 tournament sponsored by Logitech) and I'm pretty happy with it.
Most of you guys think that the mouse is a key factor or something, when it's actually not.
Its all about the skill, you might own the best mouse possible and get your butt kicked by a guy with a $2 A4Tech mouse.

You can always argue that. Then again a guy with a $2 mouse could get his butt kicked by the guy with the best mouse possible.

Having a better/gaming mouse doesn't instantly make one a better gamer, it merely provides the tools, its up to the individual to put them to their advantage.

Its more about comfort & convenience than anything else really. The 700 i have has several macro buttons on it, plus a unlocking scroll wheel. They haven't made me a better gamer, but im already please with how much more convenient its making things for me. Im able to use commonly used ability's on the extra thumb buttons, and i find my self unlocking the scroll wheel more than i thought i would. In that respect, i consider it to be better than a $2 mouse.

Although i will argue that laser mice are more accurate than optical (and defiantly more than ball). Laser isn't near as picky on what kind of surface you put it on as optical is. That's not to say someone whos use to dealing with those faults cannot overcome them, but you might as well remove any faults possible so you don't have to.

it's not just about the mouse and it's not just about the skill... i have been playing FPS games for a very long time and when i don't use a mouse that is comfortable to me and that fits my play style my skills are just about useless...

i have big hands so you would THINK that i would want a bigger mouse but that isn't the case... i use very low sensitivity so i make bigger wrist movements which means a smaller mouse gives me more control. small mice that are not TOO small are hard to find and that is why i LOVE my G3.

in my experience, the best gaming mice arent gaming mice at all. the best mouse i've ever used (rts, some fps, rpg) was actually the second generation intellimouse. insanely cheap and high build quality, very durable.

i actually use the kinzu now, which i like, but when this mouse goes i'll be picking up an intellimouse for sure. alongside the intellimouse i also like many of the logitechs (g1, g3, g500).

in my experience, the best gaming mice arent gaming mice at all. the best mouse i've ever used (rts, some fps, rpg) was actually the second generation intellimouse. insanely cheap and high build quality, very durable.

i actually use the kinzu now, which i like, but when this mouse goes i'll be picking up an intellimouse for sure. alongside the intellimouse i also like many of the logitechs (g1, g3, g500).

Ok here's the deal: I left my intellimouse in Chicago when I moved to Spain.

Then I bought a G500...

...THEN my friend brought my intellimouse back from Chicago.

I can't even use the damned thing anymore. It's like the difference between using a mouse and moving a rock around on a piece of cardboard.

An intellimouse isn't **** compared to a G500. I can set my G500 to the same sensitivity as an Intellimouse if I want... and the G500 will be more comfortable and provide a greater range of movement.

Only beef I have is it's harder to pick up off the table if I want to make some grand movement... so I just try not to make grand movements anymore.

Ok here's the deal: I left my intellimouse in Chicago when I moved to Spain.

Then I bought a G500...

...THEN my friend brought my intellimouse back from Chicago.

I can't even use the damned thing anymore. It's like the difference between using a mouse and moving a rock around on a piece of cardboard.

An intellimouse isn't **** compared to a G500. I can set my G500 to the same sensitivity as an Intellimouse if I want... and the G500 will be more comfortable and provide a greater range of movement.

Only beef I have is it's harder to pick up off the table if I want to make some grand movement... so I just try not to make grand movements anymore.

i guess it comes down to preference then. i've used the g500, among other gaming mice, and i'll always come back to the intellimouse. my favorite by far.

I had a Corsair M60 for a few weeks until it decided to freak out on me. I adjusted the DPI via the Corsair SW and it immediately went into super slow mode and none of the buttons worked. After much troubleshooting, Corsair just recommended I RMA the mouse.

I guess after using mice since the early 80's, you have to experience one bad unit.

The mouse itself was nice enough, but I will be getting a G500 as a replacement.

I actually just sent back my g700. I had a g5 for a very long time, then Ive had the g9 for a few years and I love it but I wanted more buttons.

IMAG0470.jpg
The g700 is awesome for wireless gaming but its HUGE (dwarfs the g9!)and I only have medium sized hands. Also, the 4 side G buttons are really awkward to press due to their shape. I wanted to love it but I had to send it back :(

I was lusting over the corsair M90 but I went on the Corsair forums and everyone said the software is atrocious! That was a deal breaker.. So I think I'm also going to end up with a g500 or that RAT MMO7 looks pretty baller(ugh but why orange??).

But man I've never had a wireless mouse before and it was AWESOME. If you have larger hands definitely give it a shot

I actually just sent back my g700. I had a g5 for a very long time, then Ive had the g9 for a few years and I love it but I wanted more buttons.

IMAG0470.jpg
The g700 is awesome for wireless gaming but its HUGE (dwarfs the g9!)and I only have medium sized hands. Also, the 4 side G buttons are really awkward to press due to their shape. I wanted to love it but I had to send it back :(

I was lusting over the corsair M90 but I went on the Corsair forums and everyone said the software is atrocious! That was a deal breaker.. So I think I'm also going to end up with a g500 or that RAT MMO7 looks pretty baller(ugh but why orange??).

But man I've never had a wireless mouse before and it was AWESOME. If you have larger hands definitely give it a shot

yea, i have fairly large hands. My problem is im use to holding the mouse way wrong. Ie gripping it with two fingers, then laying my first and middle finger on the buttons. I need to get use to laying my entire hand on the mouse so it doesnt **** up my hand lol. Its alitle different shape than the g5(00) so it will take some getting use to ..

The sid buttons i will admit, are a bit weird, but the programmable macros and wireless option are very nice :)

Btw, what mouse/keyboard matt is that in your pic? Is it a hard surface?

My problem is im use to holding the mouse way wrong. Ie gripping it with two fingers, then laying my first and middle finger on the buttons.

this is not a wrong way to grip the mouse...there really is no "wrong" way to do it... i do the same thing you do. if it is comfortable then it is correct for you but maybe not somebody else....

i grip the mouse mainly with my thumb and pinkie finger, the palm of my hand does NOTHING on the mouse as it does not even touch it.

this is not a wrong way to grip the mouse...there really is no "wrong" way to do it... i do the same thing you do. if it is comfortable then it is correct for you but maybe not somebody else....

i grip the mouse mainly with my thumb and pinkie finger, the palm of my hand does NOTHING on the mouse as it does not even touch it.

well, it might be wrong ergonomically is what i mean. My hand will hurt sometimes if i play for a long time. Im sure how i hold the mouse doesnt help much.

yea, i have fairly large hands. My problem is im use to holding the mouse way wrong. Ie gripping it with two fingers, then laying my first and middle finger on the buttons. I need to get use to laying my entire hand on the mouse so it doesnt **** up my hand lol. Its alitle different shape than the g5(00) so it will take some getting use to ..

The sid buttons i will admit, are a bit weird, but the programmable macros and wireless option are very nice :)

Btw, what mouse/keyboard matt is that in your pic? Is it a hard surface?
Thats the v1 G15, the G9 dwarfed by the G700, and a Razer Destructor mouse pad. (ts hard and the mice slide around on it like butter. although I'll never buy another Razer mouse or kb again, the game pads are pretty great

The Mionix NAOS 5000 is a pretty nice mouse.
It's a little larger than a Steelseries Ikari.
I alternate between the RAT7 and the NAOS..

Back