• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Loop Critique

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nym

:welcome: Hi all just joined and am looking forward to all the info you can offer!
I am seriously considering upgrading my current water loop. I purchased my pc about two years ago. When I bought it I tried to overspend so that I wouldn't have to upgrade my components that soon. I understand that eventually I will have to, but I am hoping to get another 3-5 years out of this rig (barring any unforeseen misfortune). I don't game on my PC. I use it for 3/d modeling and painting. This is my rig as it sits.

Case: Silverstone Raven RV01
MOBO: Evgax58 3x Sli Classified
CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor (not lapped or overclocked)
GPU: 1x Gigabyte GV-N285OC-2GI GeForce GTX 285 2GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 (not overclocked)
Ram: 6x 2gb Corsair Dominator SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel (6modules)
Power Supply: Kingwin Mach 1 ABT-1220MA1S 1220W ATX / BTX SLI Ready 80 Modular Active

Water cooling Set Up
CPU block: Apogee GTZ
Pump: Danger Den DD-CPX Pro 12V 3 Pin Powered Pump - 237 GPH
RAD: Swiftech MCR220 2 x 120mm Radiator w/ Reservoir
Tubing: Feser Anti Kink ID-1/2"/ OD 3/4"
Fittings: Bitspower Ultimate G 1/4 Thread 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD Compression Fitting (BP-CPF-CC5)Compression

I really would prefer to keep the pump. If I need to I was looking at a swiftech, the MCP655, but have heard good things about the DDC-2.
I plan to do this upgrade in stages.
1.CPU
2.CPU, Mosfet, Ram, N/S
3.Full

Here is a list of the parts I want to get with just the research I have done.

CPU Block : EK Supreme HF Universal Rev 3 - Acetal + Electroless Nickel Plated

RAD: Aquacomputer Airplex Modularity System 420 Radiator Dual Circuit

RAD Fans: Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1850 RPM

Reservoir: EK Dual Bay SPIN Reservoir w/ Flow Meter
Fittings: Matte Black Bitspower different angles depending on location.

When I do the next stage I will get the blocks and fittings for the board and memory. Incorporating these into my loop (and maybe the 2nd radiator as well.)
The next stage would be the VGA block.
I have included two illustrations of the CPU only and the full configuration's.

1.Comments on my proposed setup would be very appreciated!
2.Does anyone have a mosfet to recommend for this board?
I have been looking at the Bitspower Black Freezer MOS EI58DP Version 2.
3.Which is the best N/S bridge cooler?
I have also seen good reviews for the Bitspower Black Freezer EIX58NSC EVGA Classified X58 North / Southbridge Combo Block - Nickel Plated model. I do know that EK had manufactured a similar block, I think the bitspower one looks better so I am not sure here.? I found this helpful http://www.overclock.net/t/564301/evga-x58-classified-waterblocks-roundup.
4. Also the which is the best block for this VGA card as well?:confused: I used this http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/ they sell a full cover that matches this card.

I have done some research I really just want some firsthand advice from water coolers who have been doing this longer than I. Thanks In advance.

Attachments

• CPU WC Loop.jpg
    CPU WC Loop.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Full WC Loop.jpg
    Full WC Loop.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
You'll need more pumpage once you WC the mobo. Or two in series. The 35x would do it. Otherwise lookin good, looks like you got it figured out.

Ohh, you'll really not gain any overclock with WC the mobo,, but for the fun of it why not?

The only WC GPU blocks I would get are GPU only, and air cool the Vregs etc. It's a very old GPU and just finding the right full cover block might be difficult.

So would you recommend upgrading my graphics and not putting the time or money into this VGA?

So would you recommend upgrading my graphics and not putting the time or money into this VGA?

I'am going to agree with Conumdrum on that a serial pump setup and a upgraded GPU would be ideal for you. Your card is old but still works wonders I'am sure, but since you're a graphic designer in todays GPUs they would utilize on what you do much more. Cuda tech is where its at especially for you. Most progs out there now (exp. adobe etc) use Cuda now but unfortunetly your current GPU lacks. You would see a ridiculous increase in timing for rendering/video editing assuming the prog is cuda enabled. I would go with a simple pump upgrade and look into getting a GPU upgrade. If you like what you have and just want to upgrade your loop by all means all power to you. Nice setup btw.

Back