• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What chips do OCZ VX series use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This Patriot UTT lust like these other UTT.

patriot%20utt.JPG

Patriot part number PDC1G3200ELK 2 3 3 6, Fry's on sale for $159, not bad!

I am waiting the 2.4C from Matt. I will test them all one time when I got it! I whish I have the TwinMOS UTT to test too. I fail one time with newegg, dont want to try again.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with 245 at 3.25v in my book. Those would probably do quite well with about 3.6v.

3.6v seems to be a good place to burn-in winbond UTT, just make sure they're well cooled.

I believe that they are warranted up to 3.5v, however, the OCZ guys are always saying that if you are upfront with them that they work with you. If you were to feed them 3.6v and they failed, OCZ in all likely hood would replace them as long as you told them what happened.

Follow up:

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2369&p=12

Just read through the review at Anandtech on the PC4000 VX. This ram and the DFI NF4 board, together, appear to be the very best combo available today. This will certainly fuel the debate over fast timings vs high fsb, but for the moment, fast timings at decently high fsb makes for the very best performance. The quote below (and the link above) is from the "Final Words" section of the review.

Quote from Anandtech's review:

Final Words

There is some interesting creative thinking going on at OCZ these days. OCZ threw CAS out the window and brought us their EB, or Extended Bandwidth, memory. Now, we see the standard JEDEC voltage of 2.6V (or 2.5V from the past) thrown out the window with VX, or eXtended Voltage, memory taking its place. Breaking rules is one way of making performance gains in this industry, but it only matters if the results justify the rule-bending. EB proved to be a great performer, and now OCZ VX extends the envelope even further. If I sound excited, it is because I am. The new OCZ EL PC4000 VX Gold is a mouthful of a name and a pot-load of new performance records.

Some of you may recall in the last days of BH5 memory last year that BH5 actually performed faster than the new Samsung TCCD at the exact same memory timings. This is a pattern that we have seen before, but OCZ 4000 VX Gold blows the hinges off the door of this concept. What can you say about a memory that outperforms the fastest memory that you have previously tested, except "wow"? What replaces "wow" when you realize that OCZ VX running at DDR533 outperforms the previous best running at DDR610? There are no superlatives that really do justice to this kind of performance. We are absolutely blown away with the performance of the OCZ DDR500 VX.

Across the board from DDR400 to DDR538, VX manages to perform with stability in all our benchmarks at 2-2-2-6 timings. In addition, it is faster at the same timings than any memory that we have tested so far. This is why DDR533 outperforms the top TCCD memory - even those specially binned for highest-speed performance. We would also add that we did try slower timings to see where we could go, but this memory is very interesting in its performance curves. It can do, at 2-2-2 at high voltage, essentially the same as the highest OC at lower timings at any voltage. This is another way of saying that there is absolutely no reason to run VX at any timings other than 2-2-2 - unless you simply don't have the voltage to reach 2-2-2 performance.

This brings us to the handicap with VX, and it will be a huge one for many users. VX requires high voltage to stand out from crowd - voltages not generally available on standard motherboards. You will need to start about 3.0V and extend to at least 3.5V to 3.6V to get the most from VX memory. The good news is that OCZ still provides a lifetime warranty on VX even if you run it all day long at 3.5V.

The new DFI nForce4 motherboards, both Ultra and SLI, supply voltages at stock to 4.0V. They are a very good match to VX and will take VX to whatever heights it can reach in your setup. If you have a board that you love or you're thinking of one without these extreme voltage ranges, then you can still feed VX what it needs with the OCZ DDR Booster, but you will give up a DIMM slot (translate to pair in dual-channel) to run the DDR Booster. At least there are options available, and for many enthusiasts, it will be worth the effort to find a way to use VX.

In the end, OCZ VX Gold is the best performing memory that we have tested on the Athlon 64 platform. At the same speed and same timings, it significantly outperforms any other memory that we have tested on A64. VX does not run at the fastest memory speeds that we have found in our benchmarks - quite a few memories based on Samsung TCCD or Hynix memory chips reach significantly higher speeds than the DDR538 of OCZ VX Gold. However, at DDR534 2-2-2-6 timings, no memory that we have tested outperforms VX. VX is so fast that 533 actually outperforms memory that have achieved DDR600 or more in our memory tests.

If you are a raving enthusiast, you will have to have OCZ VX memory. If you are considering a DFI nForce4 purchase, then VX should be at the top of your memory list. If you want top performance, then you should at least consider OCZ Gold VX even if it requires a DDR Booster to run. Yes, OCZ PC4000 VX Gold is that good.

End of quote.

I think they liked it.

Last edited:
and I can confirm the truth that the utt needs votage to run high fsb..... lots of voltage. My UTT cannot compete with BH-5 at 3.2v on the NF2 architecture, and it's becoming apparent to me that on some systems 3.2v simply isn't enough. I won't even be able to do the review I wanted because at this time I just don't have the system to properly stimulate this memory. At least on the NF2 systems you'll need to go at lest +3.2v to even begin getting the higher clocks, as I can only get between 200 and 205 stable with 3.2v (using the TwinMOS 44D chips) I still haven't been able to get the TwinMOS 50D chips windows/prime stable at 200MHz with 2-2-2-11 timings... :(

I'm glad a respectable review site shed some light on this subject. I've been of the opinion that UTT or BH5 w/ enough voltage can offer performance levels that match or exceed TCCD for some time now. Timings do matter and when you can get UTT up to DDR500+ it can really start to show some impressive performance. Now if I could only find another stick that would do what this one TMSP module can do, I'd have a pair of them capable of DDR540. :D

Help! Need suggestion

Hi guys.
I want to upgrade my RAM to OCZ 1GB (2x512MB) PC3200 Dual Channel Gold VX EL-DDR CAS2.0. I currenty have Corsair 1GB DDR XMS4000Pro TwinX (CAS3). I want to get 270 with the OCZ VX. My friend wants to buy my XMS4000. does it worth to upgrade ???
Thx

Diablo23RD said:
Sorry, I am bad in taking pics :)
Kingston B11444.02

D3208DW3T-5U 0449PT01

I'll be darned! I've just decided to build a new NF4 system around the DFI board, and was looking through these forums for good RAM to get, as I don't have anything good right now in any of my systems except some old HyperX.

I saw this thread and remembered I bought some really cheap valueram at Fry's during the last big sale for my Dell SC400 server, and I took it out to check - Bingo! Winbond memory! Looks like I'm set already!

Thanks,
Mike

TimoneX said:
Nice! Like finding a stray Franklin in the laundry eh? :)

yup - now does anyone here know what all settings I should use for this RAM? I'm getting a 3200+ A64 winchester to go with it!

thanks,
Mike

Solid performance settings for UTT on the DFI nf4. These should work very well once the sticks are burned in, naturally your milage may vary:

Ratio 200(1:1)
CPC Enable
CAS 1.5
TRCD 2
TRAS 0
TRP 2
TRC 7
TRFC 15
TRRD 1
TWR 2
TWTR 1
TRTW 1
TREF 3120
TWCL 1
INTERLEAVE Enabled

DQS Skew Increase
DQS Skew V 0
Dram Drive Str 6
Dram Data 4
Max Async 6.0ns
Read Preamble 5.0ns
Idle Cycle Counter Enable
R/W Bypass 16x
Bypass Max 7x
32Byte Granularity Disable(8 Bursts)

8-13?

TRC-TRFC?

I'm at 265Mhz, this ram is spectacular. BIG ((())) for winbond.

Many, not all of the winbond UTT sticks I've run across will do 250(DDR500)@1.5-2-2-x 1T, and the ones that will required some burn-in first, but the gems can certainly do it. I imagine many of the OCZ VX 3200 & 4000 sticks will do so.

TimoneX said:
Solid performance settings for UTT on the DFI nf4. These should work very well once the sticks are burned in, naturally your milage may vary:

Ratio 200(1:1)
CPC Enable
CAS 1.5
TRCD 2
TRAS 0
TRP 2
TRC 7
TRFC 15
TRRD 1
TWR 2
TWTR 1
TRTW 1
TREF 3120
TWCL 1
INTERLEAVE Enabled

DQS Skew Increase
DQS Skew V 0
Dram Drive Str 6
Dram Data 4
Max Async 6.0ns
Read Preamble 5.0ns
Idle Cycle Counter Enable
R/W Bypass 16x
Bypass Max 7x
32Byte Granularity Disable(8 Bursts)

Thanks much!

BTW, what voltage should I use? I just got my system put together and haven't done any overclocking yet. I ran into some stability problems even at stock timings until I raised the voltage. Why the NF4 won't let me change Vdimm without taking the CPU voltage off auto is beyond me. Anyways, I figured this out and now the system is stable at 3.0V. I have a CNPS 7700B heatsink on my winnie so the RAM gets a lot of air blowing over it too.

My DF4 came with the 1/25 BIOS, and I can't flash it to a more recent version since the DFI site seems to be down tonight. :-(

Thanks,
Mike

Back