• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adding a second rad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jaydu

So I fixed up a second rad I have and curious what do you guys think would be a nice way to put it in. I was thinking of moving my current rad 90 degrees so its pointing out the side of the case and with my push pull configuration add the second one to the back. Cut out fan grills on the left and right side panels and there we go two rx240 in a mid case.

Attachments

• IMG_3399.jpg
    IMG_3399.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 60
Stacking two radiators like that, especially thick ones, has unfortunate results. It's hard to get enough air through them because of the high pressure required, and warm air from the first radiator makes the second one less effective. I believe there's some testing at Skinnee Labs on the performance of a radiator sandwich.

You have a fairly small case - what about hanging the second radiator off the back?

What if I was to bring fresh air from out side on both sides and leave a gap in the middle. then use two more fans to push air down the middle?

Both radiators bringing air into the case with there own fans would be much better than stacking them. You dont need much of an air gap between the radiators either.

What if I was to bring fresh air from out side on both sides and leave a gap in the middle. then use two more fans to push air down the middle?

If you bring fresh air from outside, make sure it doesn't get to the inside of the case. Where outside temperatures are under freezing levels, you will frost the inside of your case when you stop playing. Be ready for condensation and other problems. If you do use outside air, I would put the rads outside of the case and stick them where the fresh air is.

If you bring fresh air from outside, make sure it doesn't get to the inside of the case. Where outside temperatures are under freezing levels, you will frost the inside of your case when you stop playing. Be ready for condensation and other problems. If you do use outside air, I would put the rads outside of the case and stick them where the fresh air is.
I think he means outside air as in outside of the case, not from the outdoors. :)

Yes, if they're set up to pull in air from the outside of the case and you have enough width to fit it all, that would work nicely. You could also mount the fans on the outside of the case instead of the inside if you need more room.

the width of the case is 195mm I will have to do some modding on the bottom support of the bottom right motherboard tray.

65mm width of the rad plus 25mm for the fan and say 5mm of play. gives you 95mm per rad and fan setup. there would only be 5 to 10mm of space between the rads.

5mm is really tight. It would be tough to work in there. And I think it would add to the air resistance a bit. Personally I'd mount the fans outside the case, or at least mount one set outside.

I put up pictures on my system on my main page. I ordered a few parts from www.dazmode.com. Some rad supports, sli bridges and a few 90 degree adapters. Also getting both side panels water cut to match the front design air intakes.

Last edited:
Back