• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ripping your TV Series to the computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheFray

Hey guys,I'm setting up my home threatre with XMBC and am just looking for the best program to rip my tv series dvds which I have .. I have Smallville and other series which will take to long to download all the seasons if I was to go that way (i hardly get over 100kb on a torrent) so thought I may as well rip them.

Whats the best program to do tv shows?
I found this guide; http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614127&highlight=shows

But having 800+mb on a half hour show seems rather dramatic...

I've heard good things about MakeMKV for ripping and Handbreak for encoding (you get pretty large files with MakeMKV).

The full blown-out version will convert it to any format you like... ;)
MakeMKV and Handbrake are both free and work very well. I've used this combination extensively. Why pay for software when there is a free version available?

Because I on the other hand don't mind going into my deep pockets for an all-in-one solution. As I too use this extensively. I just like to set it and forget it.. The free way you have to monitor it so you can then run yet another program to go from the ripped VOB files to a smaller playable file for your HTPC... As they say, to each their own..

To the OP: Good luck finding MakeMKV. They are no longer exist. Maybe someone could give you an internal link to the file..

I actually didn't see the issue with their page until you mentioned it. I doubt the program is gone. Looking around, there are a lot of places to download it in the meantime.

Regarding how it works, you don't need to "monitor" anything. You can start MakeMKV with one or two clicks and then you are waiting on the rip (just like your program). Once that is done, you queue up all your videos in Handbrake and hit "go". I agree that it is probably a bit more work than the program you use, but I don't see how that is worth $45.

To each their own, I guess. I'd rather put that money towards my servers, savings, my car, loans, etc. :shrug:

Does anyone know of a good way to rip DvDs on a Mac. I sold my desktop so I have to use my Mac for everything until I build a new one?

I know that there is a Mac version of handbrake but I dont know how to remove the protections from the disk using a Mac-based program.

That is what I would recommend you use. I don't make suggestions that I wouldn't use/do myself. :)

Does anyone know of a good way to rip DvDs on a Mac. I sold my desktop so I have to use my Mac for everything until I build a new one?

I know that there is a Mac version of handbrake but I dont know how to remove the protections from the disk using a Mac-based program.

DVDfab is free, just not converting it to a mobile device.. So you could use DVDFAB, then handbrake... :cool:

ya i just was going to say that!!
now what will i use? to rip off my DVD/bluerays?

It will probably be fixed shortly. You can get the program from download websites for now.

Wow, fair bit of useful replies thanks guys.

What's the best settings to do with handbrake, want to try and get my half hour shows under 175-200mb ,best I can do is 270 - 300mb and when rip it comes out MP4, anyway I can make it AVI for better quality and get it around my requested size?

Handbrake combined with Slysoft AnyDVD to combat disc antipiracy measures..... I'm not saying pirate anything, just back up your discs ;)

hey guys , still seeking help on how to make my file size smaller like 175mb! :) Close as I can get is 275mb for a 23 minute show, and I know torrents out there average about 175mb and really want to save space and the extra 100mb would add up easily over time.

If you used handbrake, re-run it on the original file with a "higher" quality setting (higher = more compression). Other options are to reduce the resolution or compress the audio stream.

Back