• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random Restarts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

I recently stuck in 2 120mm Yate Loon high speeds into my NZXT Sentry Mesh, to replace two problematic MassCool fans.

Last night, randomly while browsing, my computer restarted out of the clear blue sky with no BSOD or any message at all.

Today, I go to boot and it does as normal, this time while Windows is starting it rebooted, just before the login screen.

Its really freakin me out, never did this before I put the fans in, could I be overloading a PSU rail? One molex cable has the nzxt sentry mesh, plugged into that are the aforementioned yates. There are also two Cougar fans on that same molex, as well as a Yate 140mm high speed. What could this be? Q_Q

Summer temperatures pushing CPU temps over the edge? Power Supply?

Probably a good idea to have your system specs in a txt file so you can copy-paste it when necessary, like when you're talking about your system. Example:

Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme 1366 RT with 120mm Scythe S-Flex F fan
ATi Radeon HD 7870 XFX Black 2GB HDMI 2XDVI GDDR5 1050MHz Core Clock
OCZ Agility 3 180GB SSD
Asus Xonar DX sound card
Antec nine hundred case, two front 120mm fans, one back 120mm Fan, one top 200mm fan
Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W

Oops I was on mobile.

My temperatures never go past 50c at max load, and the Tcase on these E5620s is 77.6C, I basically maxed (without making voltage 1.4 which I dont want to do) the BLCK at 195, so its all good there.

Nevertheless, I believe I may have solved it myself with a bit of deep research.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1527183&mpage=1&print=true

Although I did not see a BSOD, I could've missed it, and my system did have the exact symtoms as described in that topic, and I fixed it by disabling the PCI-E Link State Power Management that causes the Event logger spam and bsod/restart as described in the topic.

Crazy amount of event logs coming from this glitch on my own system below...

crazy-1_zpse2538d28.png

Hopefully this fixed my random restarts. Memtest86 Reports nothing and the PSU hasn't caused me any trouble previous to this...

Just happened twice today, unfortunate because I thought I fixed it, once while listening to music on the desktop and browsing and again just now playing SWTOR.

My memory passed memtest86 just fine but I did find something peculiar... My memory overclocked itself? I never touched my memory settings but according to AIDA64...

cachemem_zpsbbd5aa29.png

It should be at it's stock, 1333MHz, and stock timings of 9-9-9-24. How do I fix this? Could this be the cause of my random restarts? If this is related to my processor overclock, it must've been like this for quite a while and I havent had random restarts untill quite recently.

I could not find anything in the event logger this time out of order, besides my five 'unexpected reboot' critical alerts.

This is really beginning to grind my gears. I disabled "Automatic Restart" in System - Adv System Settings - Startup and Recovery. I did not see a BSOD. My GFX drivers are up to date as well, when those had problems I actually got useful information (BSOD) so I doubt its them. My main OS disk passed it's SMART test, and my system is running perfectly cool, around 100f on idle and not much higher at full load (which doesn't happen often, if ever, gaming and certainly not browsing the internet and listening to music) so I doubt its heat. I hope nothing is dying, this system is very young to be having problems...

The weirdest series of things ever just happened to me.

Searching ways to fix the original topics problems, I came across a claim that even a faulty SATA cable to the main OS HDD could cause these problems. I'm gettin kind of desperate so I go and switch out the SATA cable from Newegg (They're Rosewills, I should've known...) with one from my EVGA SR-2 kit. I also plug it into a different Mobo SATA port, one of the free red SATA III ones.

When I turn the computer back on, I get into windows just fine. Down in the bottom right hand corner by the tray it says "succesfully installed "WD2000aK ... etc drivers" because I do have hot plugging enabled, it must've thought it was a new drive? Directly afterward the computer became completely unresponsive causing me to have to hard restart it. When I reboot, it says one of the disks needs to be checked so I oblige. It starts deleting things like crazy, not only the below picture but also when it gets to indicies it deleted a ton, naturally making me worried as hell.

Did not find any bad sectors though. So after its done fixing the file system, which apparently was screwed up (Did I cause this by switching SATA ports? How the hell could that cause it?)

null_zps5d11daa0.jpg

I restarted after that, and got this

null_zps511c927c.jpg

Restarted again, it said windows did not boot correctly, I elected to launch startup repair... it didn't get past searching for errors so I cancelled and rebooted again.

Went into BIOS and saw that the boot order was out of whack

Restarted again and here I am, everything in place.

Now I really understand why people like tablets so much...

My system was doing the same thing two weeks ago, restarting, sometimes before windows could load, sometimes after running awhile, sometimes before it could POST.

Turned out being it was a defective power on switch with the case. Unplugged the Q-connector from the MB for front panel power/ reset, then jumped the two power on pins on the MB, and everything worked fine. I had to order new case power on / reset switches.

Turned out being it was a defective power on switch with the case. Unplugged the Q-connector from the MB for front panel power/ reset, then jumped the two power on pins on the MB, and everything worked fine. I had to order new case power on / reset switches.

Lol, my motherboard does have power and reset buttons on it, I could try unplugging the case's power button.

Looks like PSU issue...

How though? Is what I have trouble understanding. The computer doesnt restart out the blue during load, it's truly random, both with low load and medium-ish load (SWTOR doesn't use a whole lot of resources)

Back