• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Install Problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wipeout

Motherboard GA-970A-UD3 /Bios F7 /Rev.1.2 /Cpu FX6300

I cannot boot hdd in achi mode to install windows, but I can install windows in ide mode.I have been told that you have to set the bios to AHCI when installing Windows 7. When I have tried this with Windows 7 64-bit it doesn't recognize the hdd.I have also read the KB (regedit) and am thinking that that doesn't seem right for proper Windows installation, if have to go into AHCI at all.From what I have been told is that AHCI mode is for proper writing of the drivers to the disk, so that raises a question.If I'm unable to install windows originally in AHCI (no detection) how is it that windows has been installed correctly at all, if I end up having to install in IDE mode?

IDE or AHCI is standard? for Windows 7, and this motherboard? From what I understand, is that windows installs an intel AHCI (built into WIndows 7) if I am correct.Does Windows have an AMD AHCI?

I have read the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 On AHCI

So what is the proper steps to proper configuration? IDE first then to AHCI. If the AHCI drivers are loaded, then back to AHCI right away? Do I keep it in AHCI or ide and if AHCI when?.,

When I read that; http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 it seems to suggest that i have to install in ide mode and then REGEDIT. problem is if my computer crashes before i even get a chance to do that then what?

I am not currently trying to do a Raid Config, just a normal install on WD 6Gb/s Hard drive.

Since I cant boot in achi mode to install windows, I went the ide route.It boots fine, and I get to the installation screen, and use the advanced options to pre-install a achi driver.Thats where my problems start again.I have the drivers on a flash drive.I then direct windows to the drivers, but it does not see anything.Here is what the folders look like.First, I'm not sure what 64 folder to use. LH64A or W764A.I assume W764A, but when I open that folder windows does not see any drivers.I'm lost.Here is the page I used to download the chipset drivers.

http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4417&dl=1#driver

LH
LH64A
W7
W764A

While I'm on the subject,I have a GTX 660 SC.I use Nvidia drivers.There current 314.22 drivers.I still need to use the AMD Catalyst Display Driver.Correct? Is that the southbridge driver?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

Any insight is appreciated.

Last edited:
Update.Half of the problem has been solved.I am so used to having oc settings in the bios,I never thought default settings in the bios.

Set to default, disconnected all drives, except for main drive.Windows now loads in achi mode.Not sure if it will see my achi driver,but thats next.

1. Do not install Windows onto an overclocked system! Default settings only. Overclock later.

2. AHCI is faster than IDE, that's the basic difference, not writing. See your official motherboard web site for any drivers, if you need them.

3. Do not install under IDE, install under AHCI. Stay away from IDE completely.

4. If you are using an nVidia video card, do not install any AMD Catalyst Display Drivers!

You need the v1.2.001.0331 AMD SATA AHCI Driver (Pre-install driver), and not the AMD Chipset Driver...

\motherboard_driver_amd_sataraid_achi_8-series_win7.exe

... and the SB driver is included in the AMD Chipset Driver package.

You need the v1.2.001.0331 AMD SATA AHCI Driver (Pre-install driver), and not the AMD Chipset Driver...

\motherboard_driver_amd_sataraid_achi_8-series_win7.exe

... and the SB driver is included in the AMD Chipset Driver package.

Those are important concepts to understand.

1. No problem installing the achi drive during install.Put the driver on a flash stick, and pre-installed before windows installation. (\motherboard_driver_amd_sataraid_achi_8-series_win7.exe)

2. I also installed this - (AMD Chipset Driver (include chipset \ sata raid driver) I did a custom install.I only need the drivers.Correct? See screen below.I only installed the boxes I checked.I just want to avoid any mis-interpretation.

1. Do not install Windows onto an overclocked system! Default settings only. Overclock later.

2. AHCI is faster than IDE, that's the basic difference, not writing. See your official motherboard web site for any drivers, if you need them.

3. Do not install under IDE, install under AHCI. Stay away from IDE completely.

4. If you are using an nVidia video card, do not install any AMD Catalyst Display Drivers!

I will make a note of that information. I'm so used to having my overclock settings it never occurred to me that could be a problem.I can save up to 10 configurations though the bios, so going back to default settings is not a a problem.

Thanks for the help guys.It can get confusing combining Nvidia and AMD :salute:

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Since you installed the AHCI driver "pre" install, the only other thing remaining would be the AMD USB Filter Driver, corresponding to the pic. you posted. Check Device Manager after the install to make sure everything was installed correctly.

Back