• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8GB RAM with Win 7 64, pagefile question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

Not sure if this is the screenshot you need, but I'm trying to utilize more RAM than pagefile, or decrease the pagefile. Sure the RAM loads up with pic or video editing but is there a way to utilize more of the 8GB avail RAM than I show being used? Is this normal?

PC works fairly well, I'm just thinking the RAM would make the system faster over writing to disc. We may have to go into laymans terms here sorry. :chair:

This is with 2 internet pages open.

Attachments

• TM1.jpg
    TM1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 175
I'm not quite sure what you are asking. The system will start by giving away free RAM and only use disk when it runs out of memory or a program specifically requests it. That screenshot looks fine to me.

Not sure if this is the screenshot you need, but I'm trying to utilize more RAM than pagefile, or decrease the pagefile. Sure the RAM loads up with pic or video editing but is there a way to utilize more of the 8GB avail RAM than I show being used? Is this normal?

PC works fairly well, I'm just thinking the RAM would make the system faster over writing to disc. We may have to go into laymans terms here sorry. :chair:

This is with 2 internet pages open.

+1 Looks like it's working fine to me also, your just not using application that use up your ram.

You can disable Superfetch if you want more RAM, it's in the Services. Increased my startup time by a good amount and lowered idle RAM usage by 1 GB +

I wouldn't disable Superfetch... its there for a reason. Also, if your ram is 'filled' by superfetch data and something else needs it, the system simply moves the oldest data out and puts the active in there. So ram really isn't 'full' when talking superfetch data as it will go away for other active data.

how much pagefile is setup to be used curently? whats the max you ever seen the memory used be? if with all your editing programs open, see how much memory is used and that should help determine how much pagefiling if any you should set up

because I have 16gb of ram in this system, I just disabled pagefile. if I even use up 8gb would be very rare. my system was using like 16gb pagefile default and recommended 24gb. which is a lot of space waisted for something never used

Last edited:
If you have it set to auto, it changes depending on how much RAM you have in the system and what your usage is like. It doesn't mean the system is always using that must page file. For example, this laptop has 32 GB of RAM and the system has allocated 4864 MB of the 7656 MB recommended.

I wouldn't suggest fully disabling it as some programs or system processes may depend on the page file to exist. You could set it low to prevent this and not take up a lot of space.

Win7 disables superfetch if it detects a ssd
Are you sure? I know it disables defragmentation, but I don't understand why they would disable superfetch. RAM is still many times faster than a SSD.

I know it is a newer OS, but my Windows 8 desktop is definitely caching.

1WHcyvc.png

Surprisingly, it seems it does. However, with W8, that has changed and they corrected the issue. I wonder if it was a holdover from years ago when writes were something (albeit not much) to worry about on a SSD.

Surprisingly, it seems it does. However, with W8, that has changed and they corrected the issue. I wonder if it was a holdover from years ago when writes were something (albeit not much) to worry about on a SSD.

I don't get what you are saying when you say it seems it does, and W8 that has changed and they corrected the issue?

I googled the concept mentioned above that w7 disables superfetch when it finds an SSD. It seems to be surprisingly true from the couple of links I read. If I had a pc and not a phone in front of me, I would confirm.

Windows 8 does not disable superfetch when it finds an SSD is also what I read.

If I recall correctly SuperFetch is writing to the memory not SSD.

QUOTE:Very succinctly put, SuperFetch is a technology which allows Windows to manage the amount of random access memory in the machine it runs on more efficiently. SuperFetch is part of Windows' memory manager; a less capable version, called PreFetcher, is included in Windows XP. SuperFetch tries to make sure often-accessed data can be read from the fast RAM instead of the slow hard drive.
http://www.osnews.com/story/21471/SuperFetch_How_it_Works_Myths

Back