• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's good for memory?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silver_Pharaoh

Likes the big ones n00b Member
This must have been asked, so sorry if it has been.

I'm buying a mobo+CPU combo from newegg soon (for my brother) and it needs RAM.

I thought, I'll buy myself some new RAM, and give my old stuff to him! :D

So here's the question:
What RAM should I get from Newegg?

Looking for 8Gb, I'm pretty sure that's enough for Minecraft and a few VM's running at once.

Cas9 1600Mhz I assume is what's best?
But what brand? Corsair, Crucial??? :shrug:

Also, can't be expensive, no more than $80-90 if even possible. Lower the better.
This is for my sig rig btw

Thanks!

Last edited:
I hear ginkgo biloba is great for memory, oh wait! :) I usually use g.skill but corsair has a pretty good rep. Although you'll proabbly be looking more towards the $75-85 range unless its on sale.

Thanks guys!

Yeah, started looking myself. Not much 1600 cas9 stuff for under $70.

Now here's something I just thought of.
My CPU is only 2nd gen i5, meaning 1333Mhz max (I've done 1600+ before though)
Still worth going for the 1600?

Or maybe some 1333 and OC'ing it to around 1600? :shrug:
OC'ing memory is tough, but I only did that on my current set of RAM in the sig.

If not, let's bump the "budget" up to say $80-90 absolute max :)

Hey Silver,

It would help buddy to say what Mobo + CPU this ram is for, then we can make sure its a good strong match!! ;) :shrug:

AJ.

Hey Silver,

It would help buddy to say what Mobo + CPU this ram is for, then we can make sure its a good strong match!! ;) :shrug:

AJ.

:facepalm: :facepalm:

I knew I forgot something!!

This RAM is for ME :)
The sig rig actually.

Thanks AJ, I'll update the OP.

I say stick to DDR3 1600 as its a good "sweet spot" IMO.

For brands, I swap back and forth between builds between G.Skill and Mushkin, their customer service and RMA are simply amazing. From a realistic standpoint though, most of the RAM on the market is damn near identical and any brand will do fine. G.Skill just has that earned reputation, which is why I recommend.

I say stick to DDR3 1600 as its a good "sweet spot" IMO.

For brands, I swap back and forth between builds between G.Skill and Mushkin, their customer service and RMA are simply amazing. From a realistic standpoint though, most of the RAM on the market is damn near identical and any brand will do fine. G.Skill just has that earned reputation, which is why I recommend.

1600? Will do. :salute:

I'll keep looking as well, and post pairs here to see what you guys think.
Thanks!

If your looking to overclock it I'd stay far away from Patriot. I just got the G.Skill Sniper series 2x4's 2133 for $80. of course I didn't need 2133 speed, but it was the same price as the 1866's so why not.

Those are $100 @ newegg.ca Pretty pricey. I'd just be patient and watch the sales pages (which I know you do anyhow).

Silver i would buy these they are @ a good price, and they will fit under any after market Air Cooler as well!! ;)

1, http://www.newegg.com/global/uk/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231546

Good price @ $45.00 and as you can read everyone seems to give them the thumbs up!! :thup:

Yeah its always a good idea to let us know about the Mobo + CPU LOL!!! :p

AJ.
Looks like a nice set of RAM AJ :thup:
Little on the high side in US$, I can only imagine what the CAD equivalent it :p
Will keep that on the list however.
Those are $100 @ newegg.ca Pretty pricey. I'd just be patient and watch the sales pages (which I know you do anyhow).
Ahh that's right!

I do read Darknecron's newegg posts.
Question is, will those codes (if they have one) work on newegg.ca..?

I saw some deece prices on some RAM in the past, so it'll happen again.
Just nee to make sure the cpu+mobo combo fro my brother doesn't get sold out before I find RAM:-/

Womack posted a while back that g.skill's quality is color coordinated. Blues are their low end. Reds are middle of the road and blacks are top notch. Store that one away for a rainy day eh?

Sorry Silver,

I overlooked that your in Canada my good friend, but never the less i will post this so you can look @ the Ram plus the Discounts!! ;) :thup:

1, http://www.canadacomputers.com/sear...ywords=&manu=0&search=1&ccid=311&cPath=24_311

Enjoy looking!!

AJ.

Thanks AJ!

Got paid the other day :D :thup:

Sooo what do you guys think about this set?

Anything cheaper doesn't come with a set of 2, and they are sold out up here in the Barrie store.

Those Gskill's, are in stock, and I would feel comfortable buying those this Tuesday after classes.

If you guys like them, then I'll buy 'em, and snatch the mobo combo on the egg fro my brother.

Yhose should do just fine. Just verify that those will fit under your HSF as you don't have that listed in your sig.

Some set of Ram have grub screws, so you can take off the top heat spreaders, but like Blaylock said best to check first!! :shrug: ;)

AJ.

Yhose should do just fine. Just verify that those will fit under your HSF as you don't have that listed in your sig.

Some set of Ram have grub screws, so you can take off the top heat spreaders, but like Blaylock said best to check first!! :shrug: ;)

AJ.

That's because I saw no need to list the stock Intel cooler in the sig ;)
RAM slots are wide open and have lots of clearance from the CPU cooler :thup:

So it's settled then.
I will buy those Gskill's on Tuesday!

Thanks for all the help guys!! :cool:

Back