• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MAX Performance Concerns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pastulio

Registered
Hello all. I do not use the internet too often, so I hope that this thread (question) will be sufficient enough for me to figure out my "needs".
I recently upgraded from my old computer, which was EVGA's 790i Ultra MB equipped with Intel's Qx9770 CPU & 16GB of RAM all of which set to 1600MHz and OC'd to just 4.0GHz (since that was more than adequate). It served me well for many years, and I still would like to make use of it ... but due to HDD compatibility reasonings (couldn't utilize a onboard [direct to MB attached] SSD vs. SATA II cable) I have upgraded my system.
I was gifted ASUS's Z77 Sabertooth a while back and finally bought for it Intel's i7-3770K CPU to hopefully get the most out of my system. As well as the onboard SSD (no SATA III cable), so I am getting the most of my available Read/Write speeds. Anyway, the build was initially assembled with some spare components that I had had laying around and finally have the means to afford to purchase RAM for the system.
I know that the system is compatible with up to 1866MHz RAM speeds, but I have been informed that the combination of this MoBo with the CPU currently on it that I should be able to equip something more along the lines of 2777MHz ... that might be an exaggeration, but you understand what I'm getting at.
My question is, for anybody who has experience with this build,, what RAM stix should I invest in to get the most out of my system and OverClock it (not LiquidCooled)? I understand that performance-wize it isn't always necessarily best to utilize all 4 slots, and that for practical reasons it isn't always necessary to throw on more than what is needed when say for instance the person using the build is solely going to be using it for web-browsing and an occasional DVD movie night -- this is not the case, I assure you. I would like to equip 4xRAM config. at lowest timings possible w/ fastest speeds possible for this MoBo+CPU ... but have no idea where to start. Realistically I have a maximum budget of just under $500.00 to devote to the RAM.
Any recommendations?

Prior to acquiring the funding, I was looking at something more along the lines of, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231590 but think that there might be something that can either surpass the qualities of these and/OR have "tighter-timings" ... yeah...

...I'm learning.

To be honest, there is such minimal performance gain over 1866 that you would literally be wasting money on anything more.

The performance difference, even in most competition benchmarks, is less than 1% going from 1866 to 2400. Over 2400 on IB often looses performance. Even 2400 is shaky and depends on the timings, secondary timings and tertiary timings.
Just grab some 1866 or 2133. Don't spend a ton of money on it.

What do you plan to use this build for? If we know that, we can advise on where to put that $500 to best use.

Back