• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rumor: 360 HD-DVD drive to fall to $49.99

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
As a general rule I *never* get into the Fudgenuggets practice (hey fudge! ;) ) of posting rumors, but I figured I'd throw this one up there for laughs more than anything:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thu...ort-xbox-360-hd-dvd-drive-to-be-49-99-on-2-21

You can already get the 360 HD-DVD drive for $89 in the cyberdeals section here. But $50? I might actually be interested in that considering HD-DVD movies will probably be sold for a buck a piece soon. Then all I would need would be a $75 HD-DVD writer and all the blank HD-DVDs in the world for about 20 cents per hundred and I would have a genuine bargain... Toshiba be damned! :beer:

If your waiting for the price to drop start picking up movies too. You might not be able to find them.

Why not, the format is dead now..... it could be $5 for all anybody cares, they're just looking to liquidate.

Rainman, sell some damned articles and go buy a PS3 already!!! ;) :p

Will the xblax HD-DVD player upscale dvds? If so I'd recommend it to certain people.. I myself recently bought a PS3 and am busy folding and building my Blu collection. :)

Yeah, yeah... I soon won't have a CHOICE but to get a PS3. I knew it was inevitable. But it doesn't look like there'll be a price drop before my birthday. (March 16th.) :(

HD-DVD, whats that :confused:

Hehe, love how everyone kept saying that this format war was no brainer and it was over before it even began. "HD-DVD is cheaper, people won't pay $1000 for Blu-Ray player, Sony sucks..." Who's crazy now :)

Will the xblax HD-DVD player upscale dvds? If so I'd recommend it to certain people.. I myself recently bought a PS3 and am busy folding and building my Blu collection. :)

The 360 itself will upscale DVDs but it does a shoddy job of it, the HD-DVD drive does not change that.

The 360's HD-DVD add-on will work with standard PCs correct?

HD-DVD, whats that :confused:

Hehe, love how everyone kept saying that this format war was no brainer and it was over before it even began. "HD-DVD is cheaper, people won't pay $1000 for Blu-Ray player, Sony sucks..." Who's crazy now :)

Well I still won't pay $400 for a Blu-Ray player so guess im not Crazy still :)

A drive for $50 though that does sound tempting.... I'd probably consider it at that price and get a few second hand type movies over at the store or something. Now someone needs to come out wiht a Blu-Ray on the cheap.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for MS to come out with a Blu-Ray drive for the 360. I wouldn't be surprised if at launch they priced it such that the drive + 360 could be had for less than a PS3. (And drive manufactured by Toshiba.) :D

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for MS to come out with a Blu-Ray drive for the 360. I wouldn't be surprised if at launch they priced it such that the drive + 360 could be had for less than a PS3. (And drive manufactured by Toshiba.) :D

To be honest I don't think that's going to happen. It's sort of akin to Sega's brilliant move of having the Dreamcast be powered by Windows CE (then Microsoft announces their own console a year later). It wouldn't make any sense to make their console dependant on Sony hardware because Sony would just SCREW them.

I mean *I* would screw them... and I'm just a vindictive Small Business owner not a vindictive corporation.

I don't know about BluRay on the 360, that means that for each BD drive sold on the 360 or Microsoft's next console, then a share of that money would be going into the SONY coffers and I just don't see that happening. I think MS will find a way around it.

Yeah, yeah... I soon won't have a CHOICE but to get a PS3. I knew it was inevitable. But it doesn't look like there'll be a price drop before my birthday. (March 16th.) :(

ha ha your gettin old!

in all honesty though its gonna take a little bit for HD-DVD to peter out, it'll probally have a laserdisc type following which incidentally the last laser disc printed was in 2000.
well after it was beat by other things

Fudge, it's not a "I get money and you don't!" thing, or even a "I et more money than you!" thing. It's a "I get money!" thing. The question is "Would a blu-ray player for the Xbox 360 provide Microsoft with an increased revenue stream?"

Sure Sony will take some of the cut, but if MS sees the opportunity to sell more things (for a profit) I have no doubts they would do it.

I don't know about BluRay on the 360, that means that for each BD drive sold on the 360 or Microsoft's next console, then a share of that money would be going into the SONY coffers and I just don't see that happening. I think MS will find a way around it.

Back