• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to Output Audio/Video to AV Receiver

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tyerker

So, forgive me as I may be talking out of my butt here...

I have a Yamaha RX-V367 I've had for a few years. Is there a way to hook up my PC to send audio and video via HDMI to this receiver, and then to run HDMI video to my TV?

I ask this because in the past, I tried using the HDMI-Out on my laptop and it would say it could not detect a display. Even when I had the TV on and the Receiver input set properly. The laptop in question was running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.

Again, not sure if I'm talking out of my butt, but what would I need to configure on my sig rig to get the HDMI out to take both Audio and Video to my receiver, and then to my TV? Is it possible, or do I have to use Optical out from the motherboard?

My HTPC is outputing both audio and video to my receiver, which then passes the video to the TV. Level of configuration will vary from none to some, depending on your video card and receiver, I guess. Best advice I can give you to start is to make sure the receiver is on before your turn the PC on, that way the video card can detect the receiver and proceed with the "handshake" protocol.

I'm saying, though, when I hook HDMI video from my PC to the receiver, it doesn't detect it as a valid video output. Would I need to set something up on the receiver to make it show up as a monitor?

Back