• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Media Center software do you use these days?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MongGrel

Last edited:
On my HTPC I use WMC + the KLite codec pack. Might try the Windows version of XBMC at some point. Tried the XBMC/Ubuntu mix at one point, but of course the *nix APU drivers were touchy and even SD video was kind of jittery. Any HD with any sort of compression on it was out of the question.

Just looked up Plex, might have to give that a shot.

Might have to look at Plex myself on the side out of grins and giggles for streaming.

I avoid WMC myself.

xbmc for all!
phones
tv's
tablets
wmc for netflix still :'(

I've got a Logitech Revue and Chromecasts that suite my needs for now. In the next couple months I'll be finishing out a WMC build. I tried XBMC once before and wasn't really impressed with the performance (pretty sluggish on the Asus B202 it was running on). I'll probably give XBMC another shot after I finish out the WMC build.

I've got a Logitech Revue and Chromecasts that suite my needs for now. In the next couple months I'll be finishing out a WMC build. I tried XBMC once before and wasn't really impressed with the performance (pretty sluggish on the Asus B202 it was running on). I'll probably give XBMC another shot after I finish out the WMC build.

I have XBMC running on an AMD E-350 box and a HD5350 at 720p. The skin I have is fairly intensive so it's a bit sluggish sometimes taking a bit to load up some of the artwork (although the default skin is fast). Playback is smooth though.

one of my machines has a 160gb wd blue and the other a 120gb wd scorpio black and they both run fine weird.

one of my machines has a 160gb wd blue and the other a 120gb wd scorpio black and they both run fine weird.

Part of my problem is that I'm around 1,000 movies and probably 300+ TV shows. So it's a large library. I think.

I might pick up a small SSD for my XBMC machine (since I'd just be using it to stream network content) and see if that makes it worth using.

Part of my problem is that I'm around 1,000 movies and probably 300+ TV shows. So it's a large library. I think.

ah im the opposite i have about 300 movies and quite a few hundred tv shows. but all that is stored remotely on another machine.

I know it's a few months old, but i'll kick it back up.

I use Plex now for everything. I was sold when Plex launched an app for Xbox One recently. I was using Skifta to push media onto the Xbox One from XBMC. Plex just killed the need for either of them. While I was at it, I went ahead and put a Roku 2 in the bedroom for Plex and everything else and stopped using the Blu-ray player.
I can access Plex from the Xbox360 also, but it isn't near as smooth as that app for Xbox One and Plex is having a 360 app release soon too, so that sold me even more.

xbmc + netflixbmc + us TV VOD (video on demand) + devils sports addon's everything i need. still running it on a WD scorpio black with no lag issues. wish some one would pick up the amazon video addon and fix it for gotham :\

I had this problem too, I ended up using a central mysql database for my xbmc hosts. Makes things so much nicer, can start a show in one room, stop and pick it back up in the place I stopped in another room. Also see the same list of what has been watched and what hasn't been between all machines.

Back