• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So I am a noob, how do overclock ATI cards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bennoculus

I picked up a 4850 for benching. I've been using nVidia cards the entire time I've been building PCs.

I've tried using Afterburner, but it only allowed me to go from 625MHz to 700MHz... And the memory from 992MHz to 1200MHz. For me, as a bencher, that's weak. I want to go higher! I don't care about damaging this card. :eek:

Which programs to use for overclocking, is really what I'm asking. I cannot use AMD OverDrive, simply because I don't have an AMD chipset on my motherboard. I have an nVidia chipset for SLI.

Any good programs to use? What about overclocking & unlocking, such as vmods and such, flashing etc.. Any good ideas? I'm pretty versatile, I just need the program to OC and then I can figure it out from there.

Thanks..

You can use Afterburner. Get the latest beta version, I think they are on 2.20 Beta 2 now. You need to alter the cfg file too. Look for MSIAfterburner.cfg in the install directory and at the bottom set:

UnofficialOverclockingEULA = I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
UnofficialOverclockingMode = 1

Also, in the program settings check Unlock voltage control and voltage monitoring. If the voltage slider doesn't show up, then the card probably doesn't support voltage changes. If it does and you want more, then search for a program called MSIAfterburnerVoltUnlock which will let you manually set the max voltage on the slider then you can go to town. :cool:

Did you try increasing south bride voltage to get stability? I wonder how many people do it.
Increasing memory beyond it's technical response limitations is a bad idea - you want to stop with that.

Back