• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2x 6pin plugs on HD 6950?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have been useing this PSU for about 8/9 months, i'v not had a single issue with it, infact as a cheap psu, i liked it enough to get one for my core 2 duo, and its running no issues aswell, for 4 months now, and has been one for months non stop.

People... come on. Just because he's not running an enthusiast PSU from a brand name we trust doesn't mean he has a ticking time bomb on his hands.... Quit fear mongering someone about a PSU

It's not fear mongering. That '550w' unit is a disaster waiting to happen. It's rated for 2 amps LESS than a seasonic 350 watter even. Assuming it's even honestly rated at 24 amps on the 12v, it would still be marginal for that system, and PSU is not the place you want to be marginal, especially with (at least) a $200 processor and $250 video card in the equation. If it was an old system with a P4 and 7600GT or something, fine, use the crappy PSU 'cause it doesn't really matter. The situation changes when running as close as he is to full capacity, I'd love to see the ripple coming out of that PSU. Bet it'd give Oklahoma Wolf a good chuckle.

Use Antec Basiq, use Corsair's $30 unit, use anything from the recommended list that's around here somewhere. Doesn't have to be an enthusiast PSU to be from a decent brand. The cheapie Corsair 430 is 80 'watts' less but 4 amps more where it counts, and it will actually deliver rated power.

It's not fear mongering. That '550w' unit is a disaster waiting to happen. It's rated for 2 amps LESS than a seasonic 350 watter even. Assuming it's even honestly rated at 24 amps on the 12v, it would still be marginal for that system, and PSU is not the place you want to be marginal, especially with (at least) a $200 processor and $250 video card in the equation. If it was an old system with a P4 and 7600GT or something, fine, use the crappy PSU 'cause it doesn't really matter. The situation changes when running as close as he is to full capacity, I'd love to see the ripple coming out of that PSU. Bet it'd give Oklahoma Wolf a good chuckle.

Use Antec Basiq, use Corsair's $30 unit, use anything from the recommended list that's around here somewhere. Doesn't have to be an enthusiast PSU to be from a decent brand. The cheapie Corsair 430 is 80 'watts' less but 4 amps more where it counts, and it will actually deliver rated power.

"Disaster waiting to happen" = "ticking time bomb". Same thing. It's an exaggeration no matter how you look at it. Qualitatively, I'm sure the better brands will fail less often. But that doesn't mean that the cheap PSU *will* fail and that the brand name won't ever fail.

550W is more than enough to handle the system as he's running it. He's not going to get close to full capacity if he's not running games/benchmarks. Even if it the spec is full of it and it maxes at 450W, he'll be fine until he buys another PSU. Yeah it's not worth the risk if you're running expensive hardware at its full capabilities, but for all we know he could use that PSU til the end of time without an issue.

"Disaster waiting to happen" = "ticking time bomb". Same thing. It's an exaggeration no matter how you look at it. Qualitatively, I'm sure the better brands will fail less often. But that doesn't mean that the cheap PSU *will* fail and that the brand name won't ever fail.

550W is more than enough to handle the system as he's running it. He's not going to get close to full capacity if he's not running games/benchmarks. Even if it the spec is full of it and it maxes at 450W,

Actually it maxes at 288 watts even if the spec is accurate. It's an old 3.3/5v unit not designed for modern systems at all.

Actually it maxes at 288 watts even if the spec is accurate. It's an old 3.3/5v unit not designed for modern systems at all.

That's only on the 12V rail though right? If the full system draw is ~300W load I doubt the 6950 is 290 of it. And running the gpu basically underclocked and idle 24/7 means he'll be fine regardless.

That's only on the 12V rail though right? If the full system draw is ~300W load I doubt the 6950 is 290 of it. And running the gpu basically underclocked and idle 24/7 means he'll be fine regardless.

The i7 runs off the 12v too ;)

I should chill?

Fine, you'll get no more advice out of me, and I look forward to your 'why did my computer die for no reason?' thread.

High five. I'm looking forward to his my computer exploded thread too. :santa2:

People don't understand PSU ratings at their own peril. We tried.

Seriously though, to the chill guy, rating a power supply by watts is something that shouldn't even exist. You should be looking at how many amps it can deliver on a given rail (3/5/12v) and making sure it's more than you need. Then keep in mind that an 80+ rated PSU is only likely to give you 80ish% of it's rated power. All PSUs lose some power due to inefficient conversion. The more expensive higher end PSUs are more efficient. Regardless, you might be fine but I wouldn't run for long like that, and I'd be really careful not do do anything that's going to ramp that card up. I don't know if I'd even want to do any heavier video decoding or encoding on it.

Last edited:
Then keep in mind that an 80+ rated PSU is only likely to give you 80ish% of it's rated power. All PSUs lose some power due to inefficient conversion. The more expensive higher end PSUs are more efficient.

PSUs are rated for output in watts DC, after efficiency. The % efficiency is what percent of the input power is output to the computer - a 400 watt PSU that's 80% efficient would actually be drawing 500 watts at the wall. 500*.8=400.

and suddenly they are like "hmmm so thats why power supplies die" :D lol

no seriously dude, u had money for a 6950 and an i7, get a real psu not a ghetto one.

Except that it's 300/288 not /550 :)

That's assuming all of the power is off the 12V though, which isn't the case. While it'll be a lot, it certainly won't be all. That's also with the GPU at 100% load which significantly increases the 12V draw. Plenty of wiggle room.

lol i had my system running on a raidmax 530 and an epower 450 gpu psu and it ran fine forever i just now recently got a corsair because i always had the raidmax failure in the back of my head.. only because i had a 450w raidmax on my i5-750 and 4870 and it literally caught fire...
that being said they arent getting onto him only because its a cheap psu its because they know if he has the hardware hes gonna use it... i know it you know it and op knows it and they are warning him not to because its so close to the max for the psu i wouldnt even run a corsair psu that close to the max power output because that would be a hazard as well.
but on a funnier note its the same on every forum lol not only pc ive had thesame thing happen on car audio forums

Some maths, math is fun!

Note, TDP Wattage doesn't necessarily mean it uses that much power, just how much heat needs to be dissipated. But it should be a decent indication.

i7 930 Max TDP is 130W, TDP of the 6950 at stock is seemingly around 160W.

That's 290W already, without taking the motherboard, fans, drives, or anything else into account. All on the 12v Rail, which that PSU is really only rated for 288. Sure that's at full load, but still cutting it close, too close for me. Especially since cheap PSUs usually have issues or tend to die faster when running near or at peak capacity.

These people telling you to get a new PSU aren't doing it so much to order you, but because you really should. They also don't mean that it will ABSOLUTELY fail on you, it's highly likely it will, and if it does, highly likely it takes something else with it.

In the end, grow thicker skin. If they said something along the lines of, hey, you should change that PSU, it's not really up to the task, would you react the same and buy a new PSU earlier? Or did the supposedly "non-chill" way they said it make you consider it a bit more?

If its helps, read the updated Sig below... PSU coming tomorrow.

I will admit i did hit an issue that i think is to do with the PSU.

While running the system last night i was installing Dirt2 (getting it rdy for the new eyefinity setup) i tried to access my ssd drive. Once i did this, the pc started to go under heavy load and stalled, the hdd was flashing on the screen, so i turned it off, stuck in an nvidia card, and ordered new PSU.

For the people in here with hopes and dream of my pc blowing up, im sorry. It didnt happen this time.

While running the system last night i was installing Dirt2 (getting it rdy for the new eyefinity setup) i tried to access my ssd drive. Once i did this, the pc started to go under heavy load and stalled, the hdd was flashing on the screen, so i turned it off, stuck in an nvidia card, and ordered new PSU.

For the people in here with hopes and dream of my pc blowing up, im sorry. It didnt happen this time.

That would indeed be your PSU not being up to snuff. But yeah you'll probably just freeze/crash instead of explode...

we werent hoping it was gonna blow up.. in this case it was just too much for the psu to handle but if it were really close and just keeping the components really hot in the psu it would have been possible to have physical failure due to heat, and with heat comes smoke, or fire and electrical surges come with failure which tends to be the cause of hardware failing, the guys were just trying to look out for you before you toasted everything... not literally but just speaking.

Back