• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still lapping cpu's?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spawn-Inc

Tried searching but nothing really came up, so I ask here.

Do people still lap cpu's? Haven't really seen it being talked about.

well hopefully once my cpu arrives it will be fine without it, but i may just do it anyway once i mess around with it first.

I have done dozens. That being said I have never measured one iota's difference in temperature. I just like to tinker. One problem is I have dozens of lapped cpu's laying around and I can't tell any of them apart without putting them in a board firing them up.

I have done dozens. That being said I have never measured one iota's difference in temperature. I just like to tinker. One problem is I have dozens of lapped cpu's laying around and I can't tell any of them apart without putting them in a board firing them up.

Sharpie ? :D

Not organized enough........ I do all the hard work then tend to be too lazy to do the easy stuff. I am always losing stuff. I am 53 so maybe it's senility?

Lol. My age. I understand now.
I don't lap anymore. I just de-lid.

Maybe someday I will give that a shot. Is there any advantage to doing that on AMD cpu's? Don't they use solder? Do you apply a different TIM and then reuse the heat spreader?

Advantage is reduction in temp. I've seen anywhere from a couple degrees to 20 pending the platform.
Some platforms are soldered, some are not.
If I strip the lid, I usually never put it back on, but I have done it on a few occasions. Yes, better TIM for sure.

I've lapped in the past but I haven't done so in my last two CPU's. The last one I lapped was my Pentium D 905 and Scythe Ninja cooler. I still use the cooler but the CPU has been retired.

Back