• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

enough exhaust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fortunesfool

I just build my first intel rig yesterday and the only way i could really mount the rad for my H100i was on top..so i flipped the top exaust fan and now it is feeding air to my rad with the 2 fans pulling air threw on the other side. I have 2 200mm fans on front of the case as intake and the rear 140mm fan is the only exhaust for the whole rig. Is this going to be enough?

Thermaltake core v71 case
Intel 4790K
H100i
Asus maximus hero
GTX 780
Evega supernova 1000w

Not a critical issue, but I would consider flipping the fans on the rad to exhaust also. The 2 200's in the front will keep sufficient cooler air coming into the case and you'd probably do best not to have them exhausting, not knowing how you have your case positioned in regards to your seating, etc.

Roger that,

My original plan was to just have the Rad fans pushing air threw the rad and out the top of the case, but I read some where that you want radiator fans to to set up as intake typically. I will probably switch them because the top 200m fan that I turned upside down looks funky in my case now with the LEDs being on the bottom it does not glow to well :p

If you have only the one 140mm fan for an exhaust, it will throttle all the other intakes (it would be like taking four lanes of traffic and merging them into one: instant traffic jam). While it is ideal (but not by all that much) to use outside air to cool a radiator, that air has to be able to flow through it fast enough to do any good. In your case (pardon the pun), you would be better off exhausting air through the radiator, with the fans mounted under the radiator pushing air out through it.

Not a critical issue, but I would consider flipping the fans on the rad to exhaust also. The 2 200's in the front will keep sufficient cooler air coming into the case and you'd probably do best not to have them exhausting, not knowing how you have your case positioned in regards to your seating, etc.
+1...

Top/rear = exhuast
Front/sides = intake

My temps suck while running prime95..Apparently this is typical though with 4790K. I did the auto over clock thing on my mother board then rand prime95 and temps went way high 90c so i shut it down and went all back to stock. Still when running Prime95 im going over 65c. Im going to switch the fans like you say and see if it makes a difference.

you might simply need better fans. you need to do more conclusive testing; test at the same time of day (when temps are roughly the same; no rainy day vs hot day), run a heavy duty video game for 10 minutes; and compare temps. try one with the side panel off. (i'm not a fan of prime test, unless pushing the limits)

You should be able to overclock that CPU very easy. don't bother with the auto overclock, those are lame. overclock both the cpu/gpu and then you're kicking.

PS: is the h100 plugged in to a PWM fan header?

Yes the H100i plugged into the CPU fan header. My motherboard is faulty so Im wating for RMA. When I powered up the machine it would turn on and off 3 times before powering up fully and running. Also the LAN adapter went out, I could not get it to connect to the internet for anything I tried reinstalling drivers different Ethernet cables, everything I could think of. Asus tech support said it is a faulty board so now im waiting on my 2nd one. I went ahead and ordered the same board hoping I can just plug everything into it and have no issues. Kind of frustrating getting a faulty board, lots of work to make everything look nice then have to rip it out and wait for a replacement :\

Trying to decide if I should put new thermal paste on or just put the cooler back on with the thermal paste that is still on it :p

...Trying to decide if I should put new thermal paste on or just put the cooler back on with the thermal paste that is still on it :p

Completely clean off the old paste and apply new paste. Never reuse paste, no matter how new it may be. Otherwise, you will get air bubbles that will interfere with heat transfer. even if you put new paste on and install the cooler for a minute, then immediately remove the cooler, clean the paste off and use new paste before reinstalling.

I always clean my heatsinks after removal and reapply TIM. Just habit for me by now. Bad luck on the board, I would say if something similar happens again I would go with a different one myself lol

Yea that was the plan if this new board didn't work I was going to go with the Asus z97 WS board. Didn't want to spend the extra money so I just went with another Hero II. This one seems to be running better so far, though I haven't updated the bois yet, Im scared ill break it again :bang head

Back