• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Cube Coolers Vs Flat Coolers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
K

Kryten

I have noticed a few of the senior members rave about and use the cube type I was just wondering are the flat types a lot less efficient or do people shy away from them because their harder to place in the system.

I'm thinking that the cube type are better because they have more tubing for the water to pass through, the longer the water stays in the radiator, the cooler it's gonna get.

TT120 (Apr 19, 2001 10:15 a.m.):
I'm thinking that the cube type are better because they have more tubing for the water to pass through, the longer the water stays in the radiator, the cooler it's gonna get.

I agree....the flat ones are actually easier to fit in any case I've done....but not as good as the coolers with extensive tubing and fins.

I know this info isn't likely to be in the instruction manual but... roughly how long would the tube be?
(to the nearest inch)

It varies, depending on the radiator. I just installed an old ice machine cooling coil that has approximately 24' of tubing, allowing the coolant to get a good chance at losing heat.

Newby2OC (Apr 19, 2001 06:45 p.m.):
I know this info isn't likely to be in the instruction manual but... roughly how long would the tube be?
(to the nearest inch)
I dunno, figure 15 passes at 120mm which is about 4.75" i think plus 14 2" curves + 1 6" output line and 1 1" input line = 106.25" which is about 8.854'. So almost 9 feet of tubing in one of those cubes.

screw all this 120mm radiator and cube crap, i say get a car radiator. It was cheaper than the danger den model, does not need a fan, and acts a a resevoir. What could be better?

Well of course, your case becomes kinda stationary, but boy, does it rule!

dunno260 (Apr 20, 2001 01:18 a.m.):
screw all this 120mm radiator and cube crap, i say get a car radiator. It was cheaper than the danger den model, does not need a fan, and acts a a resevoir. What could be better?

Well of course, your case becomes kinda stationary, but boy, does it rule!

but why wouldn't you use a fan? it would simply heat up w/o some type of ventilation

TT120 (Apr 20, 2001 12:26 a.m.):
Newby2OC (Apr 19, 2001 06:45 p.m.):
(to the nearest inch)
I dunno, figure 15 passes at 120mm which is about 4.75" i think plus 14 2" curves + 1 6" output line and 1 1" input line = 106.25" which is about 8.854'. So almost 9 feet of tubing in one of those cubes.

Thanks TT120 this is exactly what I was looking for, hmmm....rough figure if a flat one was a foot long say 4 runs, 7 turns @ 3' ....that still would be under 6" and that would be a big flat one, yes the cube does come out on top, funny they dont look that big but the figures don't lie....
I don't mind the idea of the radiator would be a little unsitely but as you point out it holds enough water and it cools well at the end of the day thats what counts.

Back