• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

safe temps??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iskatefast

Registered
Pertaining to the rig in my signature, what is a safe cpu and core temp?
I've managed to OC to 4.050 or so and it seems stable but the temps are scaring me a bit. When using OCCT I set the max temp at 60c per the AMD site and I can't make it a hole hour without it shutting down because of high temps...I see some running around 70c but that's with intel chips...what's safe for my 1055t?

I think 60*c is about as high as you want to take an AMD chip. I'd back off on the OC to keep temps in the 55*c or less region, personally.
Or work on getting cool air to the heatsink, a duct straight to one of the intake fans might help.

I think 60*c is about as high as you want to take an AMD chip. I'd back off on the OC to keep temps in the 55*c or less region, personally.
Or work on getting cool air to the heatsink, a duct straight to one of the intake fans might help.

Thanks Bob!! I like 55*c as well. I have a couple new fans to try on the True and the Vantage to try but If I must I will back it down....

62 C is the max sustained operating temp for the 1055T but most folks like to keep the CPU in the mid-50 C range under full load operation. Max stress testing typically sees higher temps than normal operation. As long as your PC is stable and below the Max sustained CPU temp, you're good.

http://products.amd.com/en-us/DesktopCPUSideBySide.aspx?id=641&id=713

I'm gonna install the Coolit this weekend, but I doubt I will see those temps for my everyday use. I haven't seen over 50 during normal use....just when stability testing with prime95 or OCCT.

Wow, AMD's max temp is only 62*C? Crazy...

I usually try to keep my intel CPUs under 60*C. With water cooling now, it's pretty easy to achieve :)

It's a different sort of 60*c, AMD chips run a lot cooler as well.
55*c on an AMD is along the lines of 70-75*c on an intel.
50 is rather like 65-70, and so on.

I suspect that it's due to where the temp sensors are, intel scatters them all over and then picks the hottest spots as the core temp sensors. AMD has one main one that reads the temp of the entire silicon die. I suspect that if you had a sensor in the middle of an AMD core it'd be about the same as the intel core temps.
That's all guesswork though.

update.
Intalled the Coolit Vantage on Sunday. Very easy to install. Messed around a bit , moved some wires around, changed a fan or two...Then bumbed my OC to 4.00 and ran prime95. After about 20 minutes I was seeing 55C so I killed the test run and went back to playing around. Last nigh I ran Prime95 again at my everyday clock of 3.9 and when I left for the office this am I was steady at 46C ....After I get the case all buttened up again , I'm going to bump it back to 4.0 and run the test agin to get a good idea of the dif. between the True and the Coolit.

Wow, AMD's max temp is only 62*C? Crazy...

I usually try to keep my intel CPUs under 60*C. With water cooling now, it's pretty easy to achieve :)

Some Intel chips run ungodly hot. 62 C is plenty hot. 80+ C is a flame thrower like the bad old days of PIII 600's. :-/

haha, brings back memories of the first computer I ever built... that had a p3 750mhz slot CPU :) Miss those massive Alpha heatsinks!

Back