• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

server status ok but no work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

The server status page shows all are running but none of my machines are getting work....why?

Ok looks like stuck uploads again. All of my machines had 2 stuck uploads that refused to connect with the server. I had to delete and then reboot my machines before they would talk to the server.....weird.

What the hell? I checked my work buffer last night and it was normal.
Well, I'm glad you got that sorted, but still a PITA.

On all my machines I keep getting this kind of thing that won't download and eventually the machines stop asking for new work while this thing sits there, usually two of them:

rosetta@home benchmark_0023_alex_metric..... 0.00% 0.00/5.59 MB download:retry in...

Eventually I delete these and suddenly we are back in business for a few days until the same thing happens again.

Any ideas?

Have seen a number of these "benchmark_0023_alex_metric_ ..." hung downloading on my hosts. Most download ok, but have been aborting about one hung download per day. My hosts are all Intel CPUs running client v7.2.42 on windows XP64, about 30 threads total.

First noticed the "hung downloading" issue back on June 20 http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7696630&postcount=1927, but has continued for over a month, so not related to the power blip.

Yea, something weird is going on.

This is somewhat off topic, but in general I recommend running about 6 days of work buffer for Rosetta. Normally Rosetta is pretty reliable and it doesn't matter... but then you get times when it isn't, like this ;)

Doing this team wide probably would ride out most hiccups w/o completely unit hogging at the max of 10 days.

Attachments

• rosettauploadweirdtransfers.png
    rosettauploadweirdtransfers.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 67
  • rosettauploadweirdtasks.png
    rosettauploadweirdtasks.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 66
Discovered last night that all my Rosetta work was complete and attempting to upload. Restarting did not help and they are still attempting to upload. Have pointed my CPUs at the World Community Grid project for now.

There are some posts about the uploading issue on the Rosetta Message boards.

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=5701

http://boinc.bakerlab.org/rosetta/forum_thread.php?id=3752

Yeah, I was reading those yesterday. Hope it's all worked out soon: this is the pits.

Rosetta seems to be having a lot of problems lately.

In the past month or two, I've noticed a fair number of WU's giving computation errors, none in the last week that I've been able to see though. There have been others posting about this on the Rosetta Message boards as well.

It has been suggested that this latest issue which has been bogging down the servers, is a possibly a DoS attack, but I know little of these things. Interesting evidence in message 77227 of THIS thread.

On the brighter side of things, all of my hung results finally went through and I've finally been able to break 6 Million pts (Was stuck at 5,995,500 for the past few days, dammit!), and the RAC has started to go back up to it's previous levels.

gonna just reiterate, with rosetta... I rather strongly recommend increasing your work buffer to 5-6 days to ride out most hiccups the project ever has.

If "tradition" holds, the next one will likely be in Dec-Jan as Christmas holidays and over New Year.

I'll nag no more on this ... but instead of jumping ship from Rosetta, maybe urm... increase buffer ASAP.

One side "benefit" that tends to make up a little for the inconvenience when Rosetta hiccups - since pretty much 98% of everyone never touches input buffer, and work units rarely if ever are ever "time out expired" even if the validator is down - when the project comes back up to normal you pretty much own everyone else since they "gave up" after the default half day (or whatever it is) and you report like 5 days of work.

If the entire team does that, yea basically you gain 4.5 days for "free" just by not being a quitter :bday:

Rosetta PSA done.

Attachments

• rosettayeoflittlefaith.png
    rosettayeoflittlefaith.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 40
  • rosettayeoflittlefaith2.png
    rosettayeoflittlefaith2.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 38
gonna just reiterate, with rosetta... I rather strongly recommend increasing your work buffer to 5-6 days to ride out most hiccups the project ever has.
Thx!
I think most of the more experienced crunchers do this already: I know I have for the past 5 years or so.
However, it's Good advice for those new crunchers or those who haven't done it yet.

Go to "Tools/Computing Prefernces/Network Usage" and change your "Max additional work buffer" to 5days.

Back