• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Changed HSF orientation and switched to diamond 24 (WOW temp drop)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
I want to see if the heat pipe orientation (direct touch) and HSF direction make a noticeable difference. I almost de-capped but I use IC diamond and that is a little scary.

Last edited:
@ stock core temps have normalized. Before I had up to a 10º variance between core temps at 100% Now it is 4 degrees. All temps are staying below 70 with IBT at maximum. Below is what I am looking at:
Heat Pipe orientation.png

Above is where I see the issue. I know the core is rectangular but I do not know the orientation. If I am correct this will make things hotter or quite a bit cooler.

I was right, I am seeing a 16º C drop in temps at 100Mhz (4.4 to 4.5) faster than i was when I was banging 105º. You know I should charge people for this ****. I am also needing less voltage to do it so it must be the thermal resistance increase causing more voltage to get past the higher resistance which causes more heat and then volts to overcome the resistance. There is nothing wrong with this CPU there are no major heat issues like we thought (At least within reason. Over 4.6 and I get hot but I can bench at 5 now.. .

100_1191.JPG

922d1339364773-changed-hsf-orientation-switched-diamond-24-ib_delidded.jpg

Pipes crossing the core. A hair more contact area but also way more dissipation volume.

Last edited:
So what direction are you aiming the fan on that to get the temp drop? Up/Down or Left/Right? And what processor, your 2500k? Most of the time they say you should aim the cooler so that air is pushed towards the back (right to left with an exhaust fan on the left side of the case blowing the air out) but are you blowing the air up towards the top of your case now?

So what direction are you aiming the fan on that to get the temp drop? Up/Down or Left/Right? And what processor, your 2500k? Most of the time they say you should aim the cooler so that air is pushed towards the back (right to left with an exhaust fan on the left side of the case blowing the air out) but are you blowing the air up towards the top of your case now?

Well it is the pipes not the fan. My tT PSU has the bottom exhaust intake so I am blowing it out the PSU.

Last edited:
die-size.jpg
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...jHuTC6AGuxYH8Ag&ved=0CBAQwg4&biw=1680&bih=906

And I think this may cove part of it. On top of other things mentioned I think this goes to show some of the core density issues. Less area for dissipation.

When you have two pipes out of four pulling heat away that is okay (not the best option) as long as the chip is making contact with a decent area of pipe. With about a 20% decrease in core diameter there is quite a bit of contact area lost and if you consider that only two pipes are carrying the main heat away there is an issue.

Now sure they make contact but not as much heat can transfer which is why I tried this out. Yes I had to cut the corner of my HSF to get dual channel.. I am curious though. Can anyone check there center pipes and outside pipes to see if there is a difference?

Excellent information.. though when was 4 pipes ever completely touching directly 'above' the core?

The die density, the fact that the iGPU takes up more space in the die than SB's iGPU, the TIM instead of solder to IHS all add up to what we see(already know).

Excellent information.. though when was 4 pipes ever completely touching directly 'above' the core?

The die density, the fact that the iGPU takes up more space in the die than SB's iGPU, the TIM instead of solder to IHS all add up to what we see(already know).

Never said 4 were; but there again I never said they were not:bang head

On the SB the center two were contacting and more area of those two were used. This in turn allowed for more heat to escape into the anchor material and transfer a little to the other pipes.

By turning the HSF (in my case) what happened was not an increase in contact area but an increase in the cooler gas volume contact ares for heat transfer. By contacting a smaller area of each pipe (while still putting off the same amount of heat) dissipation is increased quite a bit. What this has done is allow me to IBT maximum with set voltage (no dynamic) @ 4.6 and my temps reach 104º. Before at 4.4 and even on dynamic 4.2-4,7 I would hit 105 and throttle.

By doing this I gained back my drive performance (RGE mentioned this), I maintain a constant 4.6 at a lower voltage than was necessary before @ 4.4.

Go figure but it worked I just wish I had not needed to cut my CPU cooler.

Back