• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

build help, dell's delay -- please advise

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leftheaded

I am building the rig in my sig (with SLi XFX 8800 GT PV-T88P-YDF4 600Mhz core clock), but just got an email from dell that my video cards are being delayed nine days (12/19). it looks like i have 4 options:

1) wait for them
2) order one or two new G92 8800 GTS
3) order one 8800 Ultra
4) cancel dell and order ???

doing the last one means I'd RMA my 680i mobo I haven't used (just got it on 12/7) and get P35 or X38

Last edited:
The two G92 8800 GTS's are expensive and you will be waiting even longer for them. By all means, don't do number 3 lol. Expensive as hell, and performs very close to one 8800GT excluding high resolution.

I'd go buy two off newegg.

I'm so glad I canceled my dell order.

new egg is out of stock on all but two cards though. which were you thinking? the one i'd get is $75 more per card. at this point i don't think i care.. besides the newegg cards are 75Mhz core clock too.

yeah, i was ok waiting a couple weeks for dell, but not a month.. and that's merely an ETA.. they may delay it another month.. who knows.

i ordered the cheap one XFX with 600mhz core 1.8ghz on the mem.
im in no hurry my sys still plays all the games out right now, but crysis puts a hurting on the 7900gt
im not going to pay $75 for 75mhz, ill do that my self later for free

i think my sense of urgency is because i have crysis, bioshock, orange box, call of duty 4 and i can't play them. got my vacation time coming up and wanted to geekout and build a new system during that time. :mad::bang head:beer:

ok then if you just got to play a game get a cheaper evga card for now. something like a 8800gt 256meg version or a 8600gt and in a few weeks trade up with the trade up program.

thats what i would do. the g92 8800gts is just a few weeks away from hitting the stores so why not do the trade up program with evga.

That's an interesting idea.. i don't know anything about the evga trade up program. i'll check it out.. thanks for the tip!

:beer:

the trade up program gives you 90 days from date of purchase to get the full value out of your card and apply it to a new card from them.

say you pay $200 for a 8800gt 256meg card from newegg then trade it in to evga with in 90 days for a $300 8800gts 512meg G92 and you pay $100 plus shipping.

i did it with my 7800gt for a 7900gt ko sc and it cost me $39 + $9 for shipping. 2 years ago so read up to see if anything changed.

ops its called step up program

http://www.evga.com/stepup/default.asp?switch=2

Last edited:
Well if you look at ClubIT they have a gigabyte and pny 8800gt 512 available:
http://clubit.com/product_browse.cf...press x16 GeForce Series&scat2=GeForce 8800GT

I ordered an EVGA one off there last Thursday or Friday after I canceled my dell order but they're now out of stock of those now.

I don't know about PNY but I bought a 6600gt made by gigabyte and it was a great card, I actually I have it right now in my media center pc...it's not too great but whenever I bought it, it could run all the games I played pretty well so I definitely recommend gigabyte.

NCIX Has a few G92 8800GTS 512's in stock (XFX, Galaxy, Asus and possibly Gigabyte. eVga is out of stock). I placed an order yesterday for an XFX one and it should be here Thursday, Friday at the latest. I have being 6000km away from the warehouse :(

Anyways, see if you can grab an 8800GTS 512mb and grab a new P35 mobo; in my opinion that will give you the best results, unless you want to keep the mobo and/or get another video card next year sometime :)

The 8800GTS 512MB G92 is $360, not $300. But your point is still recognized.

yea I was just tossing out ball park figures didn't even look up the price.

I really was thinking of canceling my 8800gt order and get a new gts but I could not justify the extra $100 in price difference.

Back