• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out of case setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mizzery

I'm going to be tearing everything out of my case for sanding and painting and was wondering how i might go about hooking up the components out of the box. I was planning on putting the components on a shelf on static bags and linking them with a ground wire. I'll keep it to air while its out of the case for cooling.

It sounds like you have it covered.
Just keep an eye (or a finger) on the drive temps. When they're stacked or sitting on a solid surface, they can get pretty hot.
Try it first, then if they do get too hot, find something so set them on that allows some air to circulate under them (even popsicle sticks would work...lol), but not allow them to roll.

Basically all there is to it . . .

Make sure you keep contacts from contacting each other, or you'll short it out. Make sure pets can't get to it and that you can't accidently pull it down (from wires haging around). Propping things up for proper cooling is a good idea, but it becomes a little dangerous if not done well. I'd say put your drives on their sides, but that's probably more dangerous than using popsickle sticks. Also, if it's not in a case, you're going to need a screwdriver or the front panel connectors to turn it on . . . I wager you know that already, but just making sure.

Z

Yikes . . . double post. Said it couldn't connect to server, but it lied, and it already had . . . Silly internet.

How's your internet today? :rolleyes:

Z

EDIT** And I meant to edit the post above . . . What a day. 14 hours of sleep and I'm still out of it

Back