• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sale at Circuit City starting Sat.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
update.gif
2/25/09
update.gif

The update is just a caveat emptor

Beware Circuit City closeout deals: No refunds on broken gear

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Original post:

My doctor was out today looking for a wireless all in one printer, he went to Best Buy, Sams Club, Walmart and finally popped into Circuit City [To get to the Circuit City info, Skip down to the Yellow Text below]

During this time he called me for help five or six times as there were virtually no clerks or salesmen in each of the stores computer departments. When he finally got help, they were not helpful and pretty rude. ( I could hear them on his phone) I told him finally to just go home and I'll order one and bring it to his house, or he could come here once it's shipped to pick it up. You see he just got in a divorse and the spouse took everything, including the Brighthouse cable modem power cord and the wireless router. She also tool the computer. But taking the cable modem's power cord is just mean. :(

He's a good guy and I feld bad for him, so I had a P4 Dell HTPC sitting around gathering dust so I gave that to him until he gets something better. But the problem hooking it up was not having the cable modem power cord lol. I also gave him a wireless router but I could not finish the job until he got a power cord at Brighthouse. Apparently he's getting that today.

Anyway before he gave up and had me order a wireless printer, I told him to take his Corvette and make a bee line to Circuit City and just look since their closing down soon. On the shelf was a Lexmark $299 wireless all in one printer for $79. I told him to buy it. At the register the cashier said if you wait one day, it'll be 10% less. But if he bought it today they would not pricematch their own price. I told him ignore her and buy it, it's $200 off lol

So anyway, tomorrow, I'll be going to Circuit City to see the deep discount liquidation sale, maybe I'll buy that printer myself, for $7.99 cents less than he paid. :beer:

Last edited:
Very unlikely, Usually liquidators raise all the prices to msrp then take 10% off. I am willing to bet that the price will be 269.99 tomorrow.

Very unlikely, Usually liquidators raise all the prices to msrp then take 10% off. I am willing to bet that the price will be 269.99 tomorrow.

This. I've read that same tad of info somewhere else that at the start of the liquidation sale everything goes up to full retail, then they start dropping percentages off of that. What that normally means is until you reach at least 40-50% off, you're still gonna be able to find it cheaper online.

There's hardly ever a good day to buy from B&M anymore these days. CC near my house couldn't even match a Steam deal.

This. I've read that same tad of info somewhere else that at the start of the liquidation sale everything goes up to full retail, then they start dropping percentages off of that. What that normally means is until you reach at least 40-50% off, you're still gonna be able to find it cheaper online.

You just need to catch the deals before a liquidator takes over. It's not something that happens instantly overnight so there ought to be a little bit of time.

*Maybe I was wrong. This is on the CC website:
Liquidators will start arriving in our 567 stores across the U.S. over the weekend, and closing sales will start as early as Saturday, January 17. Closing sales will run as long as it takes to sell existing inventory, but are expected to wrap up by the end of March. When the liquidation sales are completed, the stores will be closed.

I might still take a trip out there tomorrow.

Last edited:
It'll probably be 3-4 weeks before things start being a deal again now that the liquidators are taking over. Even then its iffy, when CUSA liquidated I went in there near the end and they were still selling stuff for more than you could get it online in a lot of cases, anything they really had marked down was already snatched up.

That wasn't the case this time as far as I could tell, I got in a hour ago with the last printer for $60 some odd dollars. Didn't even make it in the house before that printer was dibbed by a friend needing a printer. (I didn't need it, but I went to Circuit City anyway to see if there was anything I really could use) There were plenty of good deals, just nothing I needed. They had a few LCD's deals and I'm going back today with a neighbor to help her buy a LCD if they have any left when I go back. (This neighbor is particular, and the reason I didn't buy her one earlier today)

It didn't appear as if they jacked the prices for the liquidation sale like furniture companies do all the time with their crazy sale antics. :)

I've come back from the zoo that is circuit city. Not much there. For reference, they're taking 30% of "accessories". This includes keyboards, mice, cables for anything, TV stands, wall mounts, and the sort. DVD's are 20% off, and everything else in the store is 10% off. Not sure if this is every store, but this is the case at the one I went to in Enfield, CT.

You see he just got in a divorse and the spouse took everything, including the Brighthouse cable modem power cord and the wireless router. She also tool the computer. But taking the cable modem's power cord is just mean. :(

What a *****!!! <adds spare modem power cord to shopping list>

I went to a store in MD and their deals were anything but (not that I was expecting big deals on electronics). On top of that, this particular store had big signs up all over inside and on the doors stating "CASH ONLY", despite what CC said would be accepted payment online the store near me was not honoring it.

they might have to get new credit card machines since the old ones would be going to CC, id imagine they'll be taking credit again soon.

the deals will get better as they get closer to d-day, but the side affect to that is that the pickin's will be slimmer by then too. Catch 22

well went to the one on the way to my gf's house... quite pethetic... they just marked everything up to full MSRP and put big signs saying 10% - 20% off.... what a joke. ill give it a coupla days and when i head up to my gf's within the next coupla days ill see what its like then ahha.

Yeah my former room mate stopped at the store in Canton OH and said everything was marked way up then -10% and the place was PACKED with morons looking for non-existant deals

I'm bitter sweet about this. Honestly in my area I live in a pretty big area and other than CC we have the dreaded Best Buy. At one time we had CompUSA, BB and CC. Now we are down to BB and no other choice, so I'm sure any deals in my area are gone.

Sure we have a Wal-Mart, but as you all know, WM doesn't carry and computer stuff at all, just the basics.

The fact of the matter is although times are hard, CC brought this on themselves, even when they were on top of their game, I rarely found good deals with them, Just like CompUSA before them.

Anyway, hope you guys find some deals, I plan to check them out in a week or so, I don't expect much the first few days.

Back