• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Processor Laptop Boards?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zuzzz

Premium Member
Was reading in the forums and stumbled across this link with pics of an IBM laptop. the pic of the motherboard appears to have dual sockets for processors. . . are my eyes deceiving me? Can I put 2 procs in these? (I have 4 of them) and obviosuly will want to try this. But I think I am missing something here. Anyone care to help out ?

http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1801&p=12

this is where the pics of the mother board are at. Any information would be appreciated

I think what you're seeing is the socket from which they removed the processor. The processor-looking thing still on the mainboard is the chipset, I believe.

well, its not a dual motherboard, I know that for sure..
You can tell because there is no socket that the processor is in.

As far as it being a northbridge.. :-/ possible since I do'nt have any experience with laptops..but look at the corner, it has an arrow, just like a processor does, and I wouldn't thinkthat they would put that on a northbridge.. If they have to rely on an arrow..

There is something to the left that I would think to be the northbridge..but it could be the south bridge.

Also, there is nothing comming from the supposed northbridge,.on my northbridges there are all of these lines comming from it...but not in this case..

I would say that they took the CPU out of the socket and are setting it there..maybe just for confusion to make people think that it is more complex than it really is..

but you guys will try to prove me wrong.. :)

I think most here are correct. What Im looking at 'appears' to be a laptop board with a chip installed and an empty socket. That chip is the 855 Intel Chipset. I find this a far more likely answer than those being dually boards. But I must say from the first glance looks, hehehe I thought JUST maybe. . . . ok so I can dream a little cant I?

Thanks everyone.

a dual CPU laptop isn't a bad idea..actually its a great idea..and I shouldn't be talking about it in a forum and take the idea..but...

They should make a laptop that has two modes, normal, and WORKSTATION..lol

That is if they can fit it all in there..which I'm sure they can do because thye make them so small already..
That'd be a great idea though..your on the plane and typing away with a...P4 2.0ghz lets say..and then in "WORKSTATION" mode it goes to...3ghz or whatever, the fans go on max, RAM speeds up..the other processor kicks into play..and the video card kicks in..

And yes, don't accuse me, I've thought about the battary too, that's why having two modes, the wokrstation mode will only be used when you plug it into the wall, so that you do'nt have to say :can I borrow your workstation while I'm in town, I only have my laptop"

Now work with me here on space and cooling..you know that they could fix those problems easily..and it wouln't be a mainstream laptop, it would be large companies that give them to important people while they go on trips...

but then again, the questions comes, what would they benefit from this speed...

maybe CAD..and other things come to mind..

what do you guys think?

They should make a laptop that has two modes, normal, and WORKSTATION
Actually they already have that. The Desktop based P4 chips in laptops go from like 3.06ghz plugged in to 1.8ghz when on battery power. The fans go to full blast when the there's a tiny load at 3.06ghz. The video card has the chance to go to full blast anyway when you need it too. Basically this is already thought of, just plugging and unpluging tells the laptop what to do and the power settings in windows XP can tell it what to do. (Full power = Minimal Power management and Max Battery= everything in slowest mode, Automatic = Laptop/portable mode.)

Back