• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Setting Up The Perfect DFI NF4/SLI System!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
deception`` said:
Yeah, you're gonna need a new power supply. For reference, take a look at the Antec warning in the power supplies column. I'd look at the Fortron 530W if I was you, but you're probably going to need the 20-24 pin and PCIe adapters.

deception``

Well I ment a new PSU for my current setup. I am looking for a fortron 530 seeing as they apparently dont work well w/ 24pin sockets. I suspect those making the shift to NF4 might sell theirs, a perfect opertunity :clap:

Npetune3000 said:
Well I ment a new PSU for my current setup. I am looking for a fortron 530 seeing as they apparently dont work well w/ 24pin sockets. I suspect those making the shift to NF4 might sell theirs, a perfect opertunity :clap:

Well unless you're beginning to notice any instabilities in your daily operations, I wouldn't worry about it. Typically, I would recommend even the Fortron 530W to you, but you're current video card doesn't really put too much of a strain on the system. Therefore, there is no immediate need for you to upgrade. I would however, consider a good unit if you ever thought to replace the 8500LE.

deception``

deception`` said:
Well aware of this one. The OCZ Powerstream I named come with the necessary connectors. I did own a PC&C 510W, but the board I ran it on required no such adapter. Therefore, I will not provide a answer that is to be set in stone. I will gladly research this matter later. I have one last piece to finish on this thread, and that's the proposed setups for people to consider.

deception``

Gald to here that. I had hoped to get a powerstream sometime.... hard as hell to find. :bang head anyways good thing we have deception around. :beer:

Great posts. Im thinking about picking up some BH6 and from extremeforums, the main engineer Oska Wu got some very nice overclocks with BH5 I think. Or was it on an MSI NF4. Either way, glad to hear Winbonds are back in the mix after the shunting by NF3.

situman said:
Great posts. Im thinking about picking up some BH6 and from extremeforums, the main engineer Oska Wu got some very nice overclocks with BH5 I think. Or was it on an MSI NF4. Either way, glad to hear Winbonds are back in the mix after the shunting by NF3.

I love my bh-5 to death, but I have no problem in selling it off for my upcoming DFI rig. Personally, I wouldn't try too hard to land some Windbond sticks, as it will limit your motherboard choices down the rig. But even if you did want the low latencies then that's fine, too. Still, I'd go for the OCZ VX, as it will probably be much easier to find. Anyhow, if you can get some bh-6 without going on some manhunt (and you KNOW it clocks well) then good luck to you.

deception``

situman said:
ALso I read the DFI will provide up to 4v on for the mem, perfect for some BH5/6

Very true, indeed. However, you're going to need a power supply with a VERY STRONG 3.3 volt to sustain the necessary voltage drops and be able to push even 3.4-3.6volts on the motherboard. Furthermore, it's probably going to be necessary on more than one occassion to adjust the pots yourself in order to find the sweet spot. Therefore, you're going to need an adjustable unit, such as a Fortron 530W, OCZ, or Antec True Control (but stay away from Antec for the time being).

deception``

nah i heard it will run off the 5v lines. No way its safe for a psu to run its 3.3v line at around 4.3v for everyday use. Right now, I wouldnt recommend OCZ psus. Their track record is too new. I read too many dead units in the forums. People still recommend them cause of their customer service. I would stick to Enermax and PCPower for now.

situman said:
nah i heard it will run off the 5v lines. No way its safe for a psu to run its 3.3v line at around 4.3v for everyday use. Right now, I wouldnt recommend OCZ psus. Their track record is too new. I read too many dead units in the forums. People still recommend them cause of their customer service. I would stick to Enermax and PCPower for now.

The DFI s754 UT (which also offers 4.0 vdimm option through modded bioses) runs the memory volts through the 3.3 volt. Only the DFI LP B/UI use the +5 volt.

deception``

Charloz24 said:
Congrats deception'' for a great thread!!

STICKY!!!

Thanks a lot. Hopefully this thread will get some good exposure and be of help to some.

deception``

My system...

Please give me advice on my system (I would like to get 2.4/2.5 ghz oc on it if possible):

Parts I've already bought (I plan on keeping, but if necessary I will sell and get new):

Thermaltake tsunami window case

MGE Vigor 500w (will it be good enough, I love its led's and sleeving, seen good reviews)

pc3200-512mb Crucial Ballistix (Heard it was the best oc'er for amd64 on anandtech)

AMD 939 90nm 3000+ Retail

Arctic Silver 5

Plan on Getting:

DFI nf4 ultra UT (will they come out with a board that has just one pci-e slot)

74gb raptor (is the 120gb faster than raptor w/ its new features)

xp-120 and thermaltake A2018 blue led (if the xp-120 mobo, xp-90 otherwise)

x800xl (when do you think it's going to come out?)

Please criticize or give your true opinions to my system. Thx!

BiGhItTeR said:
Please give me advice on my system (I would like to get 2.4/2.5 ghz oc on it if possible):

Parts I've already bought (I plan on keeping, but if necessary I will sell and get new):

Thermaltake tsunami window case

MGE Vigor 500w (will it be good enough, I love its led's and sleeving, seen good reviews)

pc3200-512mb Crucial Ballistix (Heard it was the best oc'er for amd64 on anandtech)

AMD 939 90nm 3000+ Retail

Arctic Silver 5

Plan on Getting:

DFI nf4 ultra UT (will they come out with a board that has just one pci-e slot)

74gb raptor (is the 120gb faster than raptor w/ its new features)

xp-120 and thermaltake A2018 blue led (if the xp-120 mobo, xp-90 otherwise)

x800xl (when do you think it's going to come out?)

Please criticize or give your true opinions to my system. Thx!

For the most part, your setup looks pretty good. However, let me point out a few things here (notably pertaining to the items in Red).

1. The Ballistix should go. Unfortunately, memory based on the Micron IC is no longer at the top of the Athlon 64 food chain when it comes to overclocking. And there are many people that have experience first-hand it's weak HTT clocks compared to newer memory such as TCCD. Anyhow, I'd really try to replace this memory with at least one of the choices mentioned in this thread, such as the G. Skill or OCZ. If you're lucky, you might be able to hit 250 or so using that Ballisitix, but 9x250 = 2250, which is short of your overclock goal. You'll need at least 267 Mhz to hit 2.4 Ghz, and I just don't think the Ballistix is going to cut it here.

2. The 74GB raptor will be faster than the 120gb hard drive I mentioned. If you want the fastest storage access, keep the raptor. But if money is a concern, look at the Seagate.

3. It is very unlikely that DFI will come out with a non-SLI motherboard; however, you can use either the NF4 UT or NF4 SLI with just one PCIe card just fine. EDIT: It appears that DFI has done yet another update, and has included a non-SLI motherboard. Here is your board as requested:

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_pr....jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3471&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=NA

4. As I said earlier, it's going to be hard to pinpoint an exact launch date for the x800XL. Given ATI's recent stance with video cards not showing up, anything is possible. But if it were up to me, I'd guess around Feb-March.

5. I am not too familiar on your power supply. Personally, I'd stick to one of my recommendations, but I will look into the unit to offer you a better answer.

deception``

Great post/information!

I am a bit concerned with my PSU, though. I have an OCZ powerstream 520w, and I think (last time I checked) I need to run the adapter from 20-24 pin. From my understanding, Angry_Games (@ dfi street) reccomended runnig a natural 24 pin PSU. Does that mean that I have to buy another PSU (I just bought this one a month or two ago :( ), or am I misunderstanding something? Thanks.

Back