• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Low End A64 bargains to be had for the adventurous!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I agree with emboss on this.
I think the only time you will actually need a bios upgrade is so that it can run ECC unbuffered memory (i.e for those that truly want to use it as a workstation/server).

You can already run (unbuffered) ECC on many/most S939 boards, and as far as I can tell from reading the docs, the BIOS would have to go out of its way to break ECC support. I suspect the BIOS update it merely to get proper CPU recognition due to the presumed-different CPUID.

CPUID is the same 20F71 as on all 1MB A64s / FXs. Only change is BrandID that identifies Opteron. So BIOS update may be needed for those chips to be properly recognized. BIOS update will be needed for PowerNow! to work.

All s754 and s939 chips can run ECC memory.

So basically all a bios upgrade is needed for is to change the term from "CPU unknown" to "Opteron 1xx" in say CPUID etc and to have Powernow.

Last edited:
Opterons don't o/c worth a ****. With a 1.8, you'd probably be lucky to get 2.2-2.3.

And BeerHunter, I do believe you are quite ignorant to the X2. It isn't Hyperthreading, it's actually two physical cores. Like dual processors on one chip. Having duallies makes everything silky smooth, it's really noticable when you start doing a lot of stuff.

pduan87, perhaps you should read the thread thoroughly, these Opterons are merely rebadged San Diegos. Dont confuse them with socket 940 Opterons.

also pduan87... beerhunter was saying that he thought the X2's and Hyperthreading were not worth his time because no programs are written to use dualies that he uses... Personally I have 2 dualies and about 17 standard computers and i see a bigger difference in multitasking performance from an increase in Memory than an increase in the # of CPUs.... Then again I don't need to multitask that much (i.e. rip DVDs while gaming) with this many PCs (14 of them I don't use ever.... they are just for folding FOR TEAM THIRTY-TWO (32)!!!!!).

While the Opterons may go through more testing I have the feeling that these 144,146 Opteron's will be San Diego's that didn't clock as well as a normal San Diego 3700+. That said, I will guess that they will at least clock to 3700+ speeds, which is still a nice bargin for the price and anymore speed will be gravy.

Found this site http://balusc.xs4all.nl/ned/har-cpu-amd-k8.php where they list out both the boxed and oem cpu part numbers. Posting here for quick reference for people looking for these cpus.

144:
OEM: OSA144DAA5BN
BOXED: OSA144BNBOX

146:
OEM: OSA146DAA5BN
BOXED: OSA146BNBOX

148:
OEM: OSA148DAA5BN
BOXED: OSA148BNBOX

150:
OEM: OSA150DAA5BN
BOXED: OSA150BNBOX

152:
OEM: OSA152DAA5BN
BOXED: OSA152BNBOX

gulp35 said:
also pduan87... beerhunter was saying that he thought the X2's and Hyperthreading were not worth his time because no programs are written to use dualies that he uses... Personally I have 2 dualies and about 17 standard computers and i see a bigger difference in multitasking performance from an increase in Memory than an increase in the # of CPUs.... Then again I don't need to multitask that much (i.e. rip DVDs while gaming) with this many PCs (14 of them I don't use ever.... they are just for folding FOR TEAM THIRTY-TWO (32)!!!!!).

Yea, but the X2's are no scam. They are the real deal unlike HT. That's the part I was talking about. Even without heavy multitasking, you'll notice a difference. It just feels smoother :cool:

Hmmm... as for OC, oops :shrug: . But these do look interesting. I searched on pricewatch and couldnt find any in the 939 variety.

OC Detective said:
So basically all a bios upgrade is needed for is to change the term from "CPU unknown" to "Opteron 1xx" in say CPUID etc and to have Powernow.
There is a possibility Opteron won't boot if the BIOS is not prepared for it (like with every new CPU). Such a chance is much lower than in case of Turion 64, though.

Won't be long before BIOS modders get on this if things are as they seem...

We know who they are, we know where they are
http://files.aoaforums.com/index.php?dir=3
if anyone of yous is seriouosly thinking about getting these, I'd alert them to OC Detective's thread here.

News... there are currently (as of 31st August) serious problems with compatibility. Majority of boards won't POST with Opteron. I just know Abit AN8 works OK. And the CPU can OC like Venice does, one guy got 65C TCaseMax part and was able to pull 2750 MHz at 1.45V of it (but had no time for intensive stability tests yet).

Thank you for letting us know. We appreciate it.

I thought we established that there's going to be a new BIOS needed for these, is it more than a BIOS update problem, Petr?

Sure, it is only a BIOS problem. There is no other reason for those not to work. But... those mainboard manufacturers don't seem to implement that support now. It's month after launch and there were reports about those processors months ahead of launch and still no support? I was told Gigabyte mobo worked but with the most to-date BIOS, it doesn't.

Over the years, I believe we'e also surprised just how often the chips come out and the mobo manufacturers don't have the BIOS ready.

And weeks can go buy, still nothing.

Sadly, it may be another month before they start trickling in...

Back