• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Samsung 830 SSD Detected as ROM Mode in BIOS?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Hi guys. Interesting problem came up with my parent's computer the other day. The Samsung 830 64GB drive is recognized as ROM mode or something in the BIOS. This prevents it from booting up. Is this a defective drive now because I tried booting it in my own system and same error. But when I plug it in with one of those SATA to USB converters it boots up fine. Should I be requesting an RMA from Samsung? :confused:

IMG_20121027_162657.jpg

Try updating the firmware on the drive and the bios on the computer?

Raid works as ahci so it should work for that.

Hi Sup3rcarrx8,

I actually have the exact same problem. It is the combination of the Samsung 830 and the MSI motherboard. I have the MSI P7n SLI Platinum, but appearently both bords have the same problem.

My other SSD, OCZ Vertex 2 works perfectly. The Samsung works 1 out of 20 times booting.

I was wondering if you had already found a solution for this problem?

This is not a compatibility issue. It happened all 3 desktops and 2 different laptops I tried this drive on. I still had warranty on the drive so I sent it in for a RMA. The replacement drive they sent me is working great now despite their slow response to my RMA due to hurricane Sandy. :thup:

Hi Sup3rcarrx8,

I actually have the exact same problem. It is the combination of the Samsung 830 and the MSI motherboard. I have the MSI P7n SLI Platinum, but appearently both bords have the same problem.

My other SSD, OCZ Vertex 2 works perfectly. The Samsung works 1 out of 20 times booting.

I was wondering if you had already found a solution for this problem?

Back