• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus Essence STX - Very low volume.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JT!

I think I've tried everything.

It works great but simply quite quiet when all the volume settings I can think of are up at 100%.

I've tried it in two pcs and same problem on both.

Faulty headphone amp?

Sorry for the lack of details but I've been messing with this thing all morning before work and now after. The only similarities between the two Pc's is the OS. Everything else is different.

The little research I did found two similar cases that were solved by making sure the power was correctly plugged into the card. Apparently it's very difficult to get the the power connector inserted all the way in. Might give that a try and also make sure you're using the latest drivers.

Yeah I made sure, couldn't go in no further, also I believe it won't actually work without the power? My Asus Xonar won't.

From what I read it will work with the connector not quite pushed in all the way, but the low volume problem will happen. But, if you're sure the connector is in all the way....

Does the same issue occur when speakers are hooked up or is it just with headphones?

I tried the headphones via the red and white rca ports with a cable that converts the two back to a headphone jack, it was significantly more quiet.

I currently have no speakers.

Unplugged the soundcard, it did not work and told me I needed to connect the power.

Yeah there's 3 settings, all of which are still to quiet. Mine are 8ohm.

You have your headphones plugged into the jack in the middle of the card, right? It'd be the 6.3 mm jack on the left, immediately right of the RCA out.

Just making sure.

I had a similar issue with my sound being very very low with everything turned up to 100%.

Turned out it was because I had a mic plugged in and windows was turning my sound down by 80%.

To remedy, goto control panel, sound, click on the communications tab and select "Do nothing" when windows detects communications activity. I believe the default setting is "Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%"

I had a similar issue with my sound being very very low with everything turned up to 100%.

Turned out it was because I had a mic plugged in and windows was turning my sound down by 80%.

To remedy, goto control panel, sound, click on the communications tab and select "Do nothing" when windows detects communications activity. I believe the default setting is "Reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%"

THIS. I completely forgot that I ever had that issue....good catch. :)

I have tried the unified drivers... on both pcs... and the beta drivers... and the original drivers. The highest ohm setting still has volume lower than my current asus xonar and is still a little too quiet.

I did consider the 80% thing. I've had it disabled for a long time now.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

I tried using a cable to convert the two rca ports into a headphone jack, the sound was much much lower, barely audible.

Under device in the volume mixer i do have to select speakers even though I'm listening on a headset, and in the xonar audio center i have to pick headset. Could that have something to do with it? Anyway for win 7 volume mixers to show it as headphones rather than speakers?

I tried using a cable to convert the two rca ports into a headphone jack, the sound was much much lower, barely audible.

Under device in the volume mixer i do have to select speakers even though I'm listening on a headset, and in the xonar audio center i have to pick headset. Could that have something to do with it? Anyway for win 7 volume mixers to show it as headphones rather than speakers?

RCA will always be detected as speakers. The RCA ports are unamplified, thus resulting in the barely audible sound.

Could you possibly have a defective 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter?

This is the correct version of the Asus Xonar right?

Last edited:
Back