• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU needed? New build question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tallbloke

Gents,

Noobie on here but not a noob to PC building / modding as I've been doing it for years - however my last build (which I'm typing on) is a Q6600 overclocked to 3.6ghz. Still running ~ok. I know one of my RAM modules is on the way out and well after 5 years of good service it needs updating & the left overs relegating to a home server.

Anyway since my last build I've also moved to a island in the Caribbean where a local shop is well non existent (unless a 8400gt is a new card:(). So I am limited on what I can get / ship in at huge expense. (the reason for not doing anything for a while)

Anyway I have lucked out in that I have won a i7 4770K 3.5ghz & a Asus Max. VI Formula.

Now for the question. Rig will be:

i7 4770K - Cooled with a H100 push pull is space allows in a Corsair 500R
Asus Max. VI Formula
16Gb DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 2133mhz
3 x 3.5" HDD (300gb, 700gb, 1tb, 2 x 2.5" 500gb 1x Samsung EVO 250gb
1 x blu ray
8 case fans. (7 x 120mm) (1 x 200mm)
1 x EVGA 580gtx 3gb

My current power supply is a Zalman 750-hp (only 1 x 8 pin cpu connector) Would this suffice for now until we move back states side in a few months or should I update it now?.

Also I'd like to update to a Asus 770gtx when we move to. Anyway will the current 750 psu be ok for now or should I update it? (PSU is about 3/4 years old) Also if I do update it 750w / 850w recommended? Corsair or EVGA (thats a RM Corsair or a EVGA G series (not G2) as that what I can get shipped here at the moment easily)

I have worked things out that I'll need a 750 but as I haven't done this in a while I'd like to get a few extra opinions.

Yes I will OC it when Its together if possible - PSU dependant.

Cheers

Chris

750 watts is plenty for that system. While the board has two CPU AUX power connectors, using only the 8-pin connector is perfectly fine unless you start getting into some major overclocking.

Fantastic - I've not forgotten everything!

What would you classify as major overclocking. Just from looking around I see 4.4ghz to 4.6ghz is pretty common for these CPU's. Or would you consider higher to be major?

Like LN2 type overclocking..... LOL. Your likely to start getting beyond thermal capacity well before the PSU will give you problems in your overclocking adventure.

Should be fine.
Zalman didn't use especially good caps for that series, but they should hold if they get airflow. I would look through the rear vent and fan with a flashlight and see if you can get a view of the top of the caps. They should not be bulging or domed at all. If they are, it's new PSU time.

Thanks guys.

Thankfully it's always been well ventilated and the caps look good.

(Now the bugger will fail as I've said it)

Back