• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

E8400 TEMP ISSUE,VERY DETAILED,looking for answers!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
E8400
abit ip35-E

Temps, using e6750 32c idle
switched to
e8400 idle, no overclocking 65c.....:mad:
Overclocking to 4.1ghz, temp raise 4c to 68c idle.:confused:
temp using orthos, 95c.:bang head

Temps are way off, tested bios 15 and now bios 14, no difference.
Bios temp is 50c.

Watercooling.
re-seated the block.
was off the 1 time I tried not proper contact, did seat properly, temps did go down from 66c to 62c ;)

bios or e8400 issue?

you have the same thing which i dont understand,stock and oc to 4ghz the cpu and core temp went up only 2-3C which doesnt seem right.voltage from 1.08v to 1.32v temp went up 1-2C only.

and i dont know how come someone can read their oced 4ghz core temp at fully load below 40C with the same coretemp 0.96.1

A reason for the unchanging cpu idle temps could be due to the special Wolfdale design. I remember reading something about an advance idle state which lowers the voltage way down, much lower than with the Conroe's. My cpu temp does seem to change much at idle regardless of the cpu voltage applied (might be that Hafnium Hi-K metal gate, not sure :). But they heat up real quick when loaded.

My first E8400 had 17C/34C idle core temps (@ 4.05GHz). I exchanged it for a new one, and with the exact same settings it reads 38/36C at idle. So obviously the cpu was giving the faulty readings, not a m/b bios issue.

Last edited:
I guess it would be considered "warm" when other folks with E8400's are running mid 20c's at idle and 30c's under load.

Let's think about this. Room temp is mid 20's. How can idle temp be at mid 20's when that's ambient temp? If people are claiming those temps, they are dishonest, or the thermisters are out of whack, or they are running high end cooling (like water). On normal air, you'll be lucky to see mid 30's idle temp. Like I said, 50C is nothing on regular air. Don't get too hung up on what others are claiming.

Let's think about this. Room temp is mid 20's. How can idle temp be at mid 20's when that's ambient temp? If people are claiming those temps, they are dishonest, or the thermisters are out of whack, or they are running high end cooling (like water). On normal air, you'll be lucky to see mid 30's idle temp. Like I said, 50C is nothing on regular air. Don't get too hung up on what others are claiming.

So what is everyones average idle/load temp on a stock E8400?

you can find some post here,ppl post their oced picture,lots of them show at 30-50c under load core temp with coretemp 0.96.1 at over 4ghz.

not being mean to any one here but BB your gonna be going in circles here...

So what is everyones average idle/load temp on a stock E8400?

Hi :)

E8400 stockspeed Batch Q746Axxx
Mb asus P5K-E Wifi
Cooler Tuniq tower 120 with as5

Core Temp 0.96.1 reports Core0: 40 and Core1: stuck on 42 never moves up or down. Everest Ultimate reports the same core temps. Fanspeed 24 on cpu. Using prime95 and temp goes up to ~50 on core0 and core1 is still stuck on 42.

you can find some post here,ppl post their oced picture,lots of them show at 30-50c under load core temp with coretemp 0.96.1 at over 4ghz.

Exactly my point. If you look in some of the screen shots of people running 4ghz and up and some of the previous threads on this very message board, you will see plenty of people with a 4ghz+ overclock running 30 - 50 C idle-load temps.

I don't seem to have the "hanging temp" issue that some people are having with the wolfdales, I just have high temps. I might very well have mistakenly reseated my heatsink, or have gotten a bad Freezer Pro 7, the heatsink did seem pretty rough. I'm going to swap it out for a Tuniq Tower 120 this afternoon and if my temps are still high I will accept the fact that I got a (semi) bum chip and go forward from there.

anna99 said:
I found out the my pc is under ACPI standard pc instead of ACPI multiprossor pc...

you can reinstall the multiprocessor version once windows is installed. Saves reinstalling windows all the time. Use device manager, select the ACPI standard pc item, click reinstall driver. it comes up with a list, you choose multiprocessor and reboot windows.

these are 45nm chips, they should run cooler than the 65nm ones. I don't think 50c @ 4ghz is wrong at all. Its just that i don't think we can fully trust these temp sensors. I do have the frozen temp issue too. This shot is at idle

Attachments

• coretemp.JPG
    coretemp.JPG
    22.6 KB · Views: 13,229
you can reinstall the multiprocessor version once windows is installed. Saves reinstalling windows all the time. Use device manager, select the ACPI standard pc item, click reinstall driver. it comes up with a list, you choose multiprocessor and reboot windows.

i tried that already,it only gave me 2 options,stardard pc or ACPI stardard pc.i can find the requirement .dll,but u can not install it.i tried replace the hal.dll with the multiprossor dll file,window wont boot any more.

I think if ambient is 20-22C then it may be possible to have mid-20's idle temps on these 45nm dual-cores.

I've got an x3210 quad w/ 1.488v (actual) pumping into it. From hibernate CoreTemp is reporting near ambient temps, and once the PC warms up a bit I'm getting something like this: 33-31-28-28 idle in a ~20C room.

I think if ambient is 20-22C then it may be possible to have mid-20's idle temps on these 45nm dual-cores.

Found out my issue though, 62c
concav IHS made poor contact.
plugged back my e6750 and temps down to normal.
RMA back my e8400 since I need to lap the cpu for it to fit and that seems silly for a new cpu.

My e6750 has no lapping and works flawlessly.

I have the E8400, using the Coolit Freezone Elite. I'll show before and after specs.

Before:
Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120mm Silent Heatpipe Cooler
E8400 default 3ghz
CPU
idle 35C
core 1 44c
core 2 45c
didn't test under load.
---------------------------------------------------------
My previous CPU the E6850 @ 3.6ghz core v1.41 in windows

CPU
idle 35c
core 1 20c
core 2 20c
didn't test under load
Coolit Freezone Elite set on high

E8400 @ 4ghz core v1.32 in windows

CPU
idle 23c
core 1 30c
core 2 31c

Tested under load 100%
CPU 42c
core 1 48c
core 2 49c
----------------------------------------------------------

What stands out is the core temps. Every CPU I've had always showed a lower core values than the CPU temp. With this new CPU the core temps are much higher, indicating there is something wrong with the Wolfsdale sensors.
Testing was done with Everest v4.20.1264 and Coretemp v0.96.1

PACO
----------------------------------------------------

Win XP Pro w/SP2
Coolit Freezone Elite (TEC)
[email protected], core voltage 1.32 in windows
2 gig DDR OCZ PC2-8500
2x 400gig drives
2x Raptor 10,000RPM drives
1 DVD Burner
SB Audigy 2
2x BFG 8500gt @SLI
EVGA 680i SLI motherboard
900 Gamers Case
600w powersupply
G25 racing wheel
X52 flightstick
Logitech z5500 sound system
26" Acer wide sceen monitor

Found out my issue though, 62c
concav IHS made poor contact.
plugged back my e6750 and temps down to normal.
RMA back my e8400 since I need to lap the cpu for it to fit and that seems silly for a new cpu.

My e6750 has no lapping and works flawlessly.

i am going to exchange a diff 8400 to see if the core temp drops.

I have the E8400, using the Coolit Freezone Elite. I'll show before and after specs.

Before:
Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120mm Silent Heatpipe Cooler
E8400 default 3ghz
CPU
idle 35C
core 1 44c
core 2 45c
didn't test under load.
My previous CPU the E6850 @ 3.6ghz core v1.41 in windows

CPU
idle 35c
core 1 20c
core 2 20c
didn't test under load
Coolit Freezone Elite set on high

E8400 @ 4ghz core v1.32 in windows

CPU
idle 23c
core 1 30c
core 2 31c

Tested under load 100%
CPU 42c
core 1 48c
core 2 49c
----------------------------------------------------------

What stands out is the core temps. Every CPU I've had always showed a lower core values than the CPU temp. With this new CPU the core temps are much higher, indicating there is something wrong with the Wolfsdale sensors.
Testing was done with Everest v4.20.1264 and Coretemp v0.96.1

PACO
----------------------------------------------------

Win XP Pro w/SP2
Coolit Freezone Elite (TEC)
[email protected], core voltage 1.32 in windows
2 gig DDR OCZ PC2-8500
2x 400gig drives
2x Raptor 10,000RPM drives
1 DVD Burner
SB Audigy 2
2x BFG 8500gt @SLI
EVGA 680i SLI motherboard
900 Gamers Case
600w powersupply
G25 racing wheel
X52 flightstick
Logitech z5500 sound system
26" Acer wide sceen monitor

Huh? The 'core' should be the hottest reading no matter what. The core is where the heat is generated in the CPU. Nothing in or around the CPU area will get any hotter. The software is not working correctly. Everest temps are spotty at best. CoreTemp has traditionally been a good tool, but nobody really knows for sure yet what is going on w/ the temps on these Wolfdales.

Best bet would be to just use common sense. Double-check your mount to make sure you're doing it right, and then start OCing as usual. Don't go above 1.45v, and if you think you are having heat related issues then check the HS w/ your finger and see how hot it is. From what I've read so far it seems that w/ decent cooling you'll be able to go all the way to 1.45v, and not have too many heat related issues. Maybe running a throttle-watch program (if they support Wolfdale) would be a good idea as well.

Hey ya'll

I just got my E8400 today and i'm having the same issues as everyone else. At stock cooling it gives me 40C in the bios at idle, and at 3.8ghz it gives me 42C at idle! When I load up Coretemp my idle temps are 32C for core 0 and 46C for core 1 at stock cooling and almost the same at 3.8ghz! I noticed on many other forums that "know-it-all" forum gurus are saying that people aren't applying their thermal paste correctly or that the IHS is misaligned etc etc without even buying an E8400 themselves. I think their analysis is wrong, IMO. This many people can't be incorrectly applying their thermal paste and heatsinks. I'm surprised nobody's mentioned this on the forums but If you notice, all the screenshots of people having problem with E8400s/CoreTemp right now are always showing Core 0 much cooler than Core 1. If the issue were a misaligned IHS I would imagine this would vary from proc to proc and batch to batch. Either way my comp is running at 3.8ghz very stable right now at 1.31 volts in BIOS (even though its only using 1.26 under full load). Been running Prime95 on both cores for hours now. My abit EQ is giving me a CPU temp of 66C and Core temp is reading 63C-77C. An interesting thing i've noticed is that the processors always tend to be around 10-15C apart in Core Temp, whether idle or working. When I run Prime95 on just the 2nd core, the difference becomes smaller. Who else is with me that Intel gaffawed on the hardware level when it comes to reporting core temps for the 2nd core??? Well anyways thanks for reading. I'll see what happens after the arctic silver breaks in after a few days. I've included a pic for people's convenience.

Also:
Hipcrostino: I believe the rumor you are talking about is located here: http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=6317

Lenovo, the major laptop vendor, has sent back all thier E8xxx cpus because of "issues with temperature sensors" (i saw this in another thread here, so i have no referance, srry).

Last edited:
Huh? The 'core' should be the hottest reading no matter what. The core is where the heat is generated in the CPU. Nothing in or around the CPU area will get any hotter. The software is not working correctly. Everest temps are spotty at best. CoreTemp has traditionally been a good tool, but nobody really knows for sure yet what is going on w/ the temps on these Wolfdales.

Best bet would be to just use common sense. Double-check your mount to make sure you're doing it right, and then start OCing as usual. Don't go above 1.45v, and if you think you are having heat related issues then check the HS w/ your finger and see how hot it is. From what I've read so far it seems that w/ decent cooling you'll be able to go all the way to 1.45v, and not have too many heat related issues. Maybe running a throttle-watch program (if they support Wolfdale) would be a good idea as well.

Every CPU I've own has been the same with the core always lower than the CPU temp. Since coretemp always seems to match Everest, just how am I going to know for sure? Seems to me these programs work and I have no reason not to trust them. In fact most of the information in this thread is based on one or the other of these programs and the issues with wolfsdale seem to appear as a result these programs finding issues with the wolfsdale.

PACO

temp problem solved,i exchanged a brand new cpu with diff batch#,now my cpu temp is 29-33C core0 temp is 27-32c core1 temp stays 42c unchanged,when i stress test cpu temp max at 57c core0 at 57c core1 at 56c,much better than 6xC before.runing at 4.05ghz with 1.30v,i am happy cause i can match other people's cool temp now,but there still some people can get their coretemp at 40ish C under load.

my chilltec cooler reader reads idle is 24-25c,load at 27c.seems too low to be true.

i also had a voltage jumping up and down problem with my zalman zm600,replace with a corsair tx750,voltage much stable now,and i also get a much more accurate +12v and +5v. output.

the only problem left now is my chilltec cooler fan still speed up for a sec then slow down for another sec,doing this loop most of the time.

Back