• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading to i5 (maybe). Your thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmdixon85

Ok so soon I will be hoping to upgrade to the i5, assuming www.scan.co.uk will let me have finance. The pic is what I am planning on getting unless something else appears on the site within the next 2 months or so. It will be under stock cooling until I sell my current mobo, CPU, & RAM to go towards a 240 radiator set-up in my HAF932. So what do you guys think? It's tempting to go for an i7 since this will be a buy now - pay later deal but I've decided to play it safe and stick with i5 with not cheap, but decent hardware. Please bear in mind everything will need to come from www.scan.co.uk

(EDIT: At first I was going to just get a better skt 775 mobo to O/C my current CPU but it would be a dead end option now. Is skt 1156 future proof? or is their a chance it could go down the AMD route "Skt 754 & 939" where 754 was meant for the budget end but lasted 5 mins? I really don't want to spend £130+ on a mobo that will be useless in 12months time.)

Untitled-12.png

Last edited:
well 1156 is not futureproof at all as i5 is the only cpu's that will ever be compatable with it > so not a good idea to spend too much on the mobo

i7 1366 platform is futureproof to some extent - as it will house the future i9 6 core 12 thread cpu's....but apparently they will cost many hundereds

i recently upgraded to i7...but now im thinking i5 would have been alot cheaper and the perfoemance difference only shows in benchmarks

i live in the uk and component prices suck they are liek double newegg prices - i have found ebuyer to be cheapest most of the time....but even cheaper is getting things of the classies here - i got my i7 for only 130ish pounds - as i found one for 200 dollars - and only 10 dollars to ship to the uk :).... possibly you could do the same with an i5...but im not sure of the current pricing??

i went from a q6600 rig to i7 and i highly recomend the upgrade - runs very smoothly with windows 7 ...and would be even better with an ssd, overall its not worth going for i7 unless you can go from i5 > i7 for under 50pounds ...

Hit us up in 2 months when you are about to pull the trigger....different boards will be out, price drops, etc. :)

+1 to antipesto.

If you have this attitude you'll never upgrade, because there will be another reason to wait...

I say go for it... i5/i7 are nice CPU's for the 1156... I can't wait for the i8 to come out...

i8 = 1156

i9 = 1366

well 1156 is not futureproof at all as i5 is the only cpu's that will ever be compatable with it > so not a good idea to spend too much on the mobo

i7 1366 platform is futureproof to some extent - as it will house the future i9 6 core 12 thread cpu's....but apparently they will cost many hundereds

i recently upgraded to i7...but now im thinking i5 would have been alot cheaper and the perfoemance difference only shows in benchmarks

i live in the uk and component prices suck they are liek double newegg prices - i have found ebuyer to be cheapest most of the time....but even cheaper is getting things of the classies here - i got my i7 for only 130ish pounds - as i found one for 200 dollars - and only 10 dollars to ship to the uk :).... possibly you could do the same with an i5...but im not sure of the current pricing??

i went from a q6600 rig to i7 and i highly recomend the upgrade - runs very smoothly with windows 7 ...and would be even better with an ssd, overall its not worth going for i7 unless you can go from i5 > i7 for under 50pounds ...

Really? So the Core i7 860 I have sitting next to me in an LGA1156 board must be imaginary then.

There are actually two Core i7 CPUs available for the 1156 platform at the moment. Why do people not realize this? :rolleyes:

@op, go for it man, I had a blast with my i5, totally easy to overclock, and super fun CPU on top of that. If you decide you need 8 threads later on, you can sell it and grab an i7 to throw in the same board :beer:

I would do it if you had an i7 860 since I can't pass up hypertheading. Don't worry about anything. LGA1156 is the best platform for budget power-users.

Why do people not realize this? :rolleyes:
we live under rocks... :eh?:

@OP, go for it man, I had a blast with my i5, totally easy to overclock, and super fun CPU on top of that. If you decide you need 8 threads later on, you can sell it and grab an i7 to throw in the same board :beer:
i5 without a doubt will be a good way to go. there is no need to spend that much, you could get
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Giga...PCI-E-20-DDR3-2200-SATA-6Gb-s-RAID-USB-30-ATX
or my fav little board atm
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Giga...E-20(x16)-DDR3-1066-1333-2200-SATAIIRAID-mATX

*also looks at mythical 1156 i7 860 next to him*

i have found a tear in the universe i think...

pick your poison based on your budget...you wont regret either...

Ok, just priced up an i7 system and it definatly looks like that will be the better way to go. Definatly worth the extra £150 or so. I would like to stay with Asus boards as they have always been a good buy in the past for me but I could maybe be swayed with good reason. This is what I was thinking:

Untitled-13.png

i tihnk the p6t is a great choice,- and thats a pretty good price,
couldnt you get cheaper ram...on ebay or something? i managed 6gb ocz gold 1600mhx for 65 pounds - but prices were abit lower then...

I don't know how you feel about the price difference but this board will get the better BCLK
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/EVGA...-Tri-Sli-S1366-PCI-E-20x16-DDR3-1600-OC-E-ATX

Might be a good board, but way to go recommend really expensive parts:eh?:

The EVGA LE x58 is about the same price as the p6t. Might even save you some money. It's a pretty great board too. That said, the asus boards are really popular and I've heard a bunch of good stuff about them. Just thought I'd throw another option into the mix.

I just bought the GA-P55-UD5, ($209 USD) should be here in a few days. I needed at least 7 SATA ports for my hard drives. I don't like to buy what I need, so I have kind of an upgrade path.. Plus I normally use only one video card. However since I have the option to do either type, I may do that this time. I'm waiting for Nvidia's bomb shell to drop before I make a sudden decisions on what video card I should go with.. In the mean time the 860, and my GTX 280 should do me just fine...

Whoah whoah....so you have a 3.0ghz intel quad core, and you want to FINANCE over 500lbs to upgrade to another quad core that will OC higher...something most likely only benchmarks are truly going to notice the difference?

Computers are fun don't get me wrong, but financing them? Worst idea EVER. Don't want to be a buzz kill but that's just not responsible.

I must admit that my Q9650 has plenty of speed even at stock clocks, just wish my mobo would overclock it. Another option I was considering (being a keen gamer), was just to wait for the new nVidia cards and just buy one of them and a better skt775 mobo to hopefully get my current CPU upto around 4Ghz. Being a gamer I'm starting to lean towards "the new GPU" option and holding onto skt775 for a while longer.

Last edited:
Back