• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

video hdtv

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mudajama

I want to build a micro atx computer that will hold and play video onto my hdtv. I dont want to drop alot of money because video playing be its only purpose. what are the minimum specs i could build. oh its an older tv without hdmi just vga and dvi

We have a HTPC forum were you might get a more informed answer here any moderator could move your thread there if you wish.

M-ITX is much smaller then M-ATX, they tend to have only one possibly two slots. most times you find them with 1x pcie or pci, some ion based one's and NV9000's have PCIE 16x slots.

if you want cheap as possible... get a AMD 785 with a sempron and 2 gigs of ram will do you... that alone will be about half of what a Atom ION setup will run alone if you look at newegg. cheapest one i have seen is $139 but i havent checked newegg in a while.

I would say the most important factor would be to get a video card that has dvi so that should you ever upgrade to a different TV you can do hdmi out.

Minimum specs? Until last month I did it with an 8yr old Celeron-1200 and Radeon 7200 combo.

Doesn't take much to play videos at 480i.

jclw, that is true but i was tring to offer something that would carry thru to a HDTV. if the Op ever gets one, not only that but the OP didnt say what kind of video he was tring to playback. the celeron 1200+ATI 7200, wont do BD playback, dvd playback might be a bit jerky.

True. I didn't really mean to suggest that the OP should look around for an eight year old system - I just wanted to point out that nearly any modern setup would do.

My 1200/7200 system would play DVDs, but just barely. When I picked up my 42" LCD I upgraded to a E5200/4670 system, which also allows me to play Blu-Rays (and games).

Back