• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Processor is better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah the two links are the same...

As for what would be better, what are you planning to do? For video encoding the quad core might be better. For gaming the tri-core would probably be better.

You can overclock the quad though? 2.4GHz is to slow :D

Yeah the links are finally fixed (little late when I made this post sorry about that), anyways yes I plan on using the system mostly for rts and fps games. As far as overclocking the Quad core, I don't think I will because I haven't found much information on the stability of that specific processor when it comes to overclocking and I don't plan on an aftermarket heatsink/fan combo eaither. I thought the higher Ghz on the triple core would be better for gaming, but I'm not positive if the Ghz is better or having more cores is better.

It depends on if the game supports quad core.

a 2.2GHz quad core will easily beat a 2.0GHz dual core for example but there is quite a jump between those 2 processors.

I would be tempted by the tri-core if I were you. If a game supports 1 or 2 cores then it'll easily outperform the quad core. If it supports 4 cores? I'm not 100% certain.

What motherboard do you have?

Many of those triple cores will unlock to be a perfectly good (and usually still a little overclockable) quad core ;)

What motherboard do you have?

Many of those triple cores will unlock to be a perfectly good (and usually still a little overclockable) quad core ;)

That's true of the Phenom II X3s but not so much for the Athlon II X3s. There was a Rana X3 series recently that was turning out some unlockable chips, however, because they were crippled (cores and L3 cache) Phenom II X4s instead of crippled Athlon II X4s.

Beeker, if you are pairing this cpu with a AM3 board then the Phenom X4 won't work with it.

Last edited:
Here's the board I have,
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138285
Under the specifications both the Phenom and Phenom II series are listed as operable processors. I also realize I would not be able to take advantage of the full potential of the AM3 socket Triple core processor as it could support DDR3, and I am only running DDR2, but that's something I can't really avoid without buying a new mb.

Last edited:
That's true of the Phenom II X3s but not so much for the Athlon II X3s. There was a Rana X3 series recently that was turning out some unlockable chips, however, because they were crippled (cores and L3 cache) Phenom II X4s instead of crippled Athlon II X4s.

Beeker, if you are pairing this cpu with a AM3 board then the Phenom X4 won't work with it.

This particular Rana is one that does unlock. Once it unlocks it reads as a Phenom B50 iirc. Just did one last Monday that was ordered the previous Thursday from NewEgg. No problems at 4 cores and 3.4GHz.

Tool_462 just to clarify, when you said "this paticular Rana does unlock", you are referreing to the triple core processor I posted at the top of the page correct? If so, how long have you had the fourth core unlocked, and have you had any issues?

This particular Rana is one that does unlock. Once it unlocks it reads as a Phenom B50 iirc. Just did one last Monday that was ordered the previous Thursday from NewEgg. No problems at 4 cores and 3.4GHz.

you must remember, it may not unlock, and it could be any chip underneath, so dont count on anything.

Given the choice, I'd take the Athlon II X3 over the Phenom X4. Especially if you're not overclocking, the clock speed differential is enough to outweigh having the fourth core in most circumstances. See for yourself! There are precious few circumstances that this X4 outperforms the X3.

I'd personally never bank on the fourth core on the X3 unlocking stably. Between a Sempron 140, a 145, a Phenom II X2 550, and a Phenom II X3 710, I still haven't had a successful and 100% stable unlock thus far. It's a bit of a game of roulette.

theflyingrat, thank you for being the first person to actually pick one of the processors over the other, and with proof too!

If you're on a tight budget and you're a gamer, get the tri-core. If you do more multi-threaded stuff, get the quad. I personally, however, would recommend waiting a while and getting a 955. It'll clock easier and it's worth the money.

I made my decision and got the triple core, thank you to all for advice and input especially flyingrat who tipped the scales in the Triple Cores favor.

Athlon for sure, i had the same link flyrat had open and was gonna re-post on accident, especially if you do not want to OC, other food for though, it looks like your trying to hit the 80 dollar price point, but consider:
10 bucks more gets you the Phenom II x2 555BE
Which has the same clock, L3 cache, and is known to commonly unlock to an X4
PII 555 Vs AII 450

And 20 more gets you the Athlon II x4 640
which has a slightly slower clock but a 4th core, as more come out
Athlon II 450 Vs 635Please note that I used the 635 as they did not have the 640 as an option, im sure it just a little better...

bigben look carefully at those scores sometimes lower is better, and when you compare the Phenom II x2 555BE to the AMD Athlon II X3 450 the Triple core wins handly (AMD Athlon II X3 450) winning in 29 of 38 catagories, think of it like this:

AMD Athlon II X3 450 = 29/38 76%(win to loss ratio)
Phenom II x2 555BE = 9/38 24%(win to loss ratio)

Clearly the triple core is better in almost every circumstance, for ten dollars more you get much less performance from the Phenom II x2 555BE. I understand black edition processors are an overclockers best friend, but I'm not planning on overclocking.

Back