• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to increase Steam and Origin download speeds?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sTrYk3r62796

My download speed is averaging about 100kb/s, but I hear people getting over 3 mb s. Is there a way to speed my speed up? I am on cable/fiber<10, even though my internet is not that fast, and have the download location from Minneapolis because I am in MN. Is there a way to speed up my speed? I am also trying to pre-load BF3 buut I get around 150kbs, which is fast for me. IS there a way to get BOTH faster?

Thanks

Are your download speeds from servers outside of Steam/Origin fast? If so, then it is something with those programs. Their servers might just be slow right now.

Speed test says I am averaging 1.17 MB/ps without any other programs using the internet, yet I only get 30kb/s on Origin as my overnight speed? Plus I am on wireless, would that make much of a difference?

Speed test says I am averaging 1.17 MB/ps without any other programs using the internet, yet I only get 30kb/s on Origin as my overnight speed? Plus I am on wireless, would that make much of a difference?
Well, if your tests are averaging 1MB/s on a wireless network then something else is amiss. 30 kb/s is pretty darn slow for origin or steam....unless so many people are pre loading that its gunking up the works. Try a random small demo off of steam or D2D and see if your speed improves. Report back!

On the BF3 pre-load, I am getting about 115 kb/s, though when I left it on over night, the next morning it was downloading at a mere 30 kb/s. There is still 21 hours left, even at my higher speeds of 115kb/s.

You oughta be able to pause the download and try a demo from steam or another origin demo to compare. If you are not certain about pausing the DL....dont! I'd hate for you to have to re start the whole thing again. have you checked to make sure nothing else is using your bandwidth? You are on wireless, perhaps someone else in your home is hogging the pipe?

Last edited:
Is it 1.15MB/s or Mb/s? Big difference between MegaByte per second versus MegaBit per second (divide your Mb/s by 8 to get your megabyte/second).

For example, I pay for a 50/5 MegaBit/second connection so about 6.5MByte/sec download and 625kB/s upload (.625MB/s upload)

Using wireless can make a bit of a difference, depending on your signal strength, etc. I would try plugging directly into the modem/router (if you can) to see if your speeds jump up. Do you know what package that you pay for from your ISP?

You oughta be able to pause the download and try a demo from steam or another origin demo to compare. If you are not certain about pausing the DL....dont! I'd hate for you to have to re start the whole thing again. have you checked to make sure nothing else is using your bandwidth? You are on wireless, perhaps someone else in your home is hogging the pipe?

No, I am the only one with wireless, our other PC is using the interent but it is wired. Last time I paused the download after I DL some SP mods for BF2142, I had to restart! 82% and 2 days in, I had to restart the entire thing.

Is anyone else downloading while you are?

You may want to check and see what the plan is that you have with frontier DSL, it has to be listed or you can login to the account info on their site. I tried looking it up but I don't know what zip code to use (picked one from minneapolis and it was out of their service area :shrug:), if it is only 2Mb or something that would make sense for your speeds.

Good luck finding our zipcode, it's there but it is in a VERY small town. 56342. So just go to the site to find out?

That's all I just did (typed in the zip code that you just gave me) and got this
3RruH.png

If you have the 'high-speed internet lite' your speeds are right where they should be.

My father continues to tell me our speeds are the fastest available, I do not believe him. Oh well, I'll try and talk him into a faster interent. :p

Back