• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

currupt windows system file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

goog`

simple problem,when I go to boot in windows xp it says "windows could not start because the following system file is missing or currupt \windows\systeme32\config\system"
I tried using the repair console on the xp cd and using the command "chkdsk c: /r" took and hour and didn't do anything any one else have some better ideas before I reinstall

can you hold F1 or del on ur computer to get to safe mode or any mode. this takes you into safe mode which load the basic drivers and try putting in the windows xp disc and try installing it agian. i think this will fix the problem by over writing it. im not quite sure about it though. ive done it and it worked for me. it depends on what problem you have.

redduc900 said:
How to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents Windows XP from starting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

I always just use bart PE.
1. Boot to bart,
2. copy the registry files onto a USB stick, or copy over the network to a working XP computer.
3. on the working XP computer, open registry editor, highlight HKLM and click FILE > LOAD REGISTRY FILE <=== NOT IMPORT!
4. XP will repair the registry files.
5. copy back over the network, or put back on the usb drive a and take back to the failed computer.

System should now boot...

I have done this 100's of times (literaly 100's of times)

Back