• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The jump from 19" to 24"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

I've never felt the "need" to have a fancy pants monitor. 900p was always "enough for me". Lets just say... I've been mistaken for quite some time.

This new monitor is a BenQ GW2450. My old monitor was an Acer s200hl. A decent enough monitor with no reliability issues.

Upon receiving the box, I was a bit flabbergasted at how large it was. Its footprint is far larger than the 19" it replaced.

First impressions
- I can already tell, blacks feel "richer" for some reason. the colors "pop" more than with my old monitor.
- an initial play through of a 1080p super high def video ("planet earth") is almost surreal. Where before I felt I was a watching a "high definition video", its know almost like I am watching from my own eyes. Motion seems to be much more clear and "life like".
- I can already tell I need a new graphics card :shock:

I am shocked you were using a 8320 and using an 19" monitor. But until I had got my first "new" monitor, I felt the same way..

Welcome to the 1080P world!

Now just wait til you move to 1440P or even 4K in a few years! ;)

About 3 months ago i went from a HannsG 19" 900p to a ASUS VE278H 27" 1080p and was in aww... and now seeing them side by side and i wish i upgraded sooner.

Its so strange. I have a 32" flat screen tv in here. My 24" monitor is MUCH closer in size to the TV then the 19". Its just one of those things I never bothered with before. Wish I just spent the little extra coin upfront the first time.

My games are running suprisingly resiliant! I was somewhat expecting things to drag *** for a while, but most my games are running fine. A couple games I had to turn down some settings and turn off vsync for now, but nothing horrible.

About 3 months ago i went from a HannsG 19" 900p to a ASUS VE278H 27" 1080p and was in aww... and now seeing them side by side and i wish i upgraded sooner.

I also went from a HannsG 19" to HannsG 28" all I could say is WOW:shock:. When I bought the 28" in was expensive .Now there a lot cheaper,I would like to get another one but I'm wanting a something a little higher end. Maybe the end of the year.

I always try to buy the best I can afford.You figure, you look at your monitor every time you use you computer. BIGGER is BETTER

I also went from a HannsG 19" to HannsG 28" all I could say is WOW:shock:. When I bought the 28" in was expensive .Now there a lot cheaper,I would like to get another one but I'm wanting a something a little higher end. Maybe the end of the year.

I always try to buy the best I can afford.You figure, you look at your monitor every time you use you computer. BIGGER is BETTER

Haha, Im a cheapskate though! I dont think I would enjoy a 28" to be honest. I almost feel the 24" is too big. Im partially blind in my right eye, so I dont get the "full field" of vision unless I look left to right, cant imagine what another 4" would do :shock: I think if I step up to "big boy" monitors, I will get a 22" most likely.

THAT SAID, I love the response time on this monitor. jumping from 5ms to 4ms may not seem dramatic, but that is 20% faster. Nothing blurs or gets "grainy" which now that I can see the difference was happening on my previous monitor. While this may not be the "best" by any means, but for the money spent, Im quite pleased thus far.
:salute:

Back