• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need some new hardware, help :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

B7akk0

Registered
Hey!
These are my current specs;
i7 2600k 4.0ghz (stock cooled, 212 hyper evo coming soon)
8gb 1333 RAM
520w Antec Neo Eco PSU
ATI 6670 Powercolor
Thermaltake Overseer RX-I case
Silverstone USB3.0 PCI-E HEADER
Netgear Wireless Network Card

wp0001162.jpg

What should I replace/Add to this setup? :)

Well... The 6670 is a little weak... But I see in your sig that you're looking at a 6950 soon. That'd be a very worthwhile upgrade right there. Same goes for getting rid of the stock cooler... THAT is almost a must in my opinion.

What are you wanting the machine to do that it doesn't do right now?... Or are you just trying to stiffen the performance a bit?

Give us an idea what your budget and requirements are... and I'm sure we can fix you up. :)

I am wanting to get into gaming at high settings :)
With a SSD, what kind of improvements will I see?
If there's a better option than a 6950 then go ahead and suggest it ;D
There's a budget of ~500 I guess, being a 17 year old with no bills to pay and a full time apprenticeship brings in a bit of spending money ;)

I am wanting to get into gaming at high settings :)
With a SSD, what kind of improvements will I see?
If there's a better option than a 6950 then go ahead and suggest it ;D
There's a budget of ~500 I guess, being a 17 year old with no bills to pay and a full time apprenticeship brings in a bit of spending money ;)

lots of better options then the 6950 but budget lets see...

GPU
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130613

SSD
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227706

I would go with something like that

Well then your biggest improvement would come from a better GPU.

The 6950 is a great option... Especially if you get one that can be unlocked to a 6970. There are "better" cards out there... But the 6950 / 6970 are definitely towards the top of the price / performance ratio.

One thing to worry about though is your somewhat smallish PSU... I think it'd handle a single 6950 / 70 OK, but if you ever want to go to crossfire, you'll need to upgrade that as well.

As thobel suggested... a nice SSD would also be a worthwhile upgrade. I'd suggest a Sata 3 6GB/s 120GB with your OS and Favorite Games installed on it... Then use your 1TB as a storage drive with all your lesser used files, less favorite games, etc. on it.

EDIT: thobel ninja'd me.. But he's got a great selection there for you. One thing to note on the Vertex 3 drive... You'll want to make sure you have the latest firmware on it before installing your OS or anything else to the drive. The Vertex 3's DID have some issues with the initial release firmwares, but those problems have all been solved now.

Crucial M4 128GB SSD
MSI Twin Frozr III HD 6950 2GB Power Edition
MSI HD 6950 Unlocking guide

Are my choices ^^.

Your PSU is fine for a full OC on 2600K + Unlock/OC on the MSI HD 6950. You've got a solid PSU. I wouldn't change it out unless you want Xfire; which at 1080p or less, I don't see as being necessary; or you wish to change to a modular PSU design.

Btw; I notice you have 8GB of ram; and say 'soon to be 16GB'. Unless you do media work of any sort or use any programs that REQUIRE 16gb; don't bother. Put your money elsewhere. 8GB is MORE than enough for any gamer.

PS: If it makes a difference; I run 6GB; and I've yet to run into any RAM issues; and I've done various video work; audio work and photoshop work on this computer without a hitch.

Considering I bought my PSU like 2 weeks ago I don't feel like upgrading it. I never want to crossfire this build so I think 1 6950 would be great :) My local computer shop has a 6950 that can be switched to a 6970 for $285AUD which I'd buy right this second if I had proof my PSU was capable >.<

Ohhh. Wait! It's you! haha didn't even realise. You're in Aus. We're listing the wrong sites for you..

In that case..

Btw 245? That's probably a 1GB model; It's not worth buying that model really. You should get a 2GB model. And yes your PSU will handle it fine. I believe your model has a 6 pin PCI-E as well as a 6+2 pin PCI-E connector. This will handle just about every GPU out there at the moment. (Bar GTX 580's like the Direct CU II model, etc, which require two 8-pin connectors).

Alright then!
A 6950 unlocked to 6970 will be coming soon! (OR should I wait for 7970 D: !!!)
and should I upgrade my RAM to 1600 from 1333, is it worth it?

MSI PE HD6950 2GB
Crucial M4 128GB SSD

However; you could just get a 64GB SSD; install windows and main applications only; and install games on your 1TB. This will save some money!

Though if you do this; you should reduce the page file size to 1-2GB max; Disable hibernation if you don't use it.. Should save a few GBs.

Alright then!
A 6950 unlocked to 6970 will be coming soon! (OR should I wait for 7970 D: !!!)
and should I upgrade my RAM to 1600 from 1333, is it worth it?

A HD 7970 WILL run on your PSU no sweat. It uses 6 and 8 pin connectors. BUT it's price for us in Aus will most likely be 600+.

And no; It's not really worth it. Unless you're a bencher; for gaming it won't make a difference.

How does this look to you guys? :D

i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz with Hyper 202 EVO
8gb DDR3 RAM 1333 (soon to be 16gb)
1TB 7200rpm HDD
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
ATI 6950 unlocked to 6970
Silverstone USB3 PCI Header
Antec Neo Eco 520w PSU
Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Full Tower Case

How does this look to you guys? :D

i7 2600k @ 4.5ghz with Hyper 202 EVO
8gb DDR3 RAM 1333 (soon to be 16gb)
1TB 7200rpm HDD
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
ATI 6950 unlocked to 6970
Silverstone USB3 PCI Header
Antec Neo Eco 520w PSU
Thermaltake Overseer RX-I Full Tower Case

Looks solid to me... Except I think you mean 212 Evo... Not 202. ;)

Looks good... But you mean 212 evo ;). But again; do you NEED 16gb ram? If not; don't bother changing it. If you want to spend the extra money elsewhere; upgrade the card straight away to a straight HD 6970 and avoid hassle of unlocking? (Or a GTX 570)

212 sorry, my mistake!
And no, I guess I don't need 16gig of ram :)

Mjolnir, I see you work at Luna Park, that has to be awesome fun, haha!

LOL. Not so much.. After 4 and a half years.. It gets old. I'd LOVE to get a job in IT making/building computers or something along those lines.. But have no official qualification in IT sadly.. So no one considers me :\. Been trying to get a new job for a while.. Lol.

Haha! I left tafe 2 weeks before I would of got my Cert III in I.T to accept my current apprenticeship as a Fitter and Turner

Last edited:
Back