• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Remove CDFS partition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmers

Does anyone know how to remove a CDFS partition on a hard drive?
I was given a Clickfree hard drive that I won't use and would love to format it.
Clickfree is the name of the product. Bascially you plug in the drive it boots up and starts to backup all important data. It has 2 partitions; a FAT32 and a CDFS. I can format the FAT32 partition, but the CDFS partition copies the files to the FAT32 partition automatically everytime I plug it in.
I've tried Partition Magic, Windows disk managment, U3 removal tool and FDISK but they don't work. Here is the Clickfree site for info. http://www.goclickfree.com/
Any ideas?

Well I tried DBAN and it doesn't work. It doesnt support USB drives. Does anyone else know of a way to remove a CDFS partition?

Can you remove the drive from the casing and do it that way? Is it actually part of the drive or part of the controller?

Sounds like it might be a part of the firmware ROM. Only thing I can think of is take it apart and see what the HD does by itself.

From Linux?

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=512 count=1
Where sdx = the mount point of the drive.

Be ABSOLUTELY certain that it's not you OS drive or anything else important. This will wipe out the entire MBR so make sure there's nothing you want to keep on the USB disk.

Make a new partition however you wish, it should use all the available space.

From Linux?

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx bs=512 count=1

Be ABSOLUTELY certain that it's not you OS drive or anything else important. This will wipe out the entire MBR so make sure there's nothing you want to keep on the USB disk.

Make a new partition however you wish, it should use all the available space.

I tried what you said but the end result was the same. Thanks anyways!

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx

This will zero out the entire drive so it will take awhile. I had to do this to get the RAID info off of a couple drives to work on a different controller.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdx

This will zero out the entire drive so it will take awhile. I had to do this to get the RAID info off of a couple drives to work on a different controller.

Same thing. It formats the one partition, but not the CDFS partition. I guess it can't be removed. Thanks for everyones help!

Weird. I guess I feel a hdd is a hdd, so it should be able to be removed. Maybe you could contact the manufacturer?

That should have been bypassed when it was plugged directly into the mobo SATA port.
From what he said, he can't get it to even recognize it. Unless I'm reading this wrong?

I took it apart and plugged it straight into a sata port on my computer but the drive won't even boot. The BIOS doesn't even see it.

Back