• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Stuck "Shutting down"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
ASUS P5QPL-AM with Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.
It sometimes gets stuck shutting down, even if you leave it all night. I don't see any issues in the eventlogs, so my GUESS is Windows is unable to tell the PSU/Mobo (whichever it sends a power off command to) to power off. If you force power off the machine after it's stuck shutting down, the machine runs just fine on the next boot.

I'm doing a BIOS flash and turning off power saving features on the NIC... not sure what else I should toy with. This is the first time I've seen this problem ever.

I've had this same issue, it stopped happening when I started cutting my monitors off after the computer finishes shutting down.

you might be running into a low idle voltage situation.
I have not had it effect shut down but it has caused me many issues, normaly from shutting off power phases with the 8 core.

I've had this same issue, it stopped happening when I started cutting my monitors off after the computer finishes shutting down.
How can you tell it's done shutting down when it just keeps saying "shutting down"? So you power off the monitor... that's weird that it affects the shutdown. I may replace the power supply as a test measure, and also create a batch file to use for shutdown: shutdown -s -f -t 0

you might be running into a low idle voltage situation.
I have not had it effect shut down but it has caused me many issues, normaly from shutting off power phases with the 8 core.
And that's why I figured a BIOS update may address the issue. This machine was previously Windows XP 32-bit and didn't have this issue until we moved to Windows 7 Pro x64.

I used to hit shut down, then power off my monitors, then the fans wouldn't spin down.
Knew it was happening because the fans never spun down and they did before this motherboard.

I left the monitors on one night to attempt to see any issue, and it shut down clean. Kept doing it hoping to see an issue and it hasn't happened yet.

Also check your services folder. I've experienced this on occasion, slow shutdown, and have found that a program isn't shutting down properly. This could be due to an updated program, video beta software, stuff like that.

Just as well, power settings in Winderz could be in conflict with those on the MB?? I've seen that too.

Also check your services folder. I've experienced this on occasion, slow shutdown, and have found that a program isn't shutting down properly. This could be due to an updated program, video beta software, stuff like that.

Just as well, power settings in Winderz could be in conflict with those on the MB?? I've seen that too.
I can't see anything since it's still "shutting down"... if I check the event logs, it doesn't show anything out of the ordinary. I can see multiple instances of service stop events, and then a kernel-power event... =/

This happens to me if my 6850 crashes when I mine crypto-coins.
If the drivers crash on it, it usually needs a full reboot, and usually it will hang the same way as you described it.

Of course, my 6850 is shoved in a modded Pcie 1x slot instead of the 16x slot it wants.

It could be bad drivers for the video card maybe. Have you upgraded them recently g0dm@n?

Weird one... even weirder is that the monitor had anything to do with it for ATM.

I have had this issue before, and the only thing that resolved it was a reinstall of the OS. Granted, I really didn't try to resolve it, just knew I had one(reinstall) coming up. Monitor on or off it didn't matter. THAT said, it did shut down in a few minutes. I do not recall one hanging there for more than that mount of time (5-7 mins) when it wasn't DLing and installing updates.

Weird one... even weirder is that the monitor had anything to do with it for ATM.

I thought it was weird myself.
I'm wondering if its something to do with the Surround setup for me, being that its on DisplayPort/DVI/HDMI connections all at once.

Still, worked for me (so far), so it doesn't hurt to try.

I'd plug in a different PSU before reinstalling windows. It could be the PSU isn't processing the shut down command correctly. I remember this happening on a PCP&C PSU I had a few years back. RMA'd that PSU and it fixed the problem. Might be worth a try before the hassle of a Windows reinstall.

I'd plug in a different PSU before reinstalling windows. It could be the PSU isn't processing the shut down command correctly. I remember this happening on a PCP&C PSU I had a few years back. RMA'd that PSU and it fixed the problem. Might be worth a try before the hassle of a Windows reinstall.

It's a friend's PC... I'm actually going there tonight to offer him that. I'm also going to make the force-shutdown batch script. :)

A kernel-power event is because it wasn't shut down properly.....

Blackout??

Oh then that must be when he cut the power... thanks. When it was stuck "shutting down" after 30-60 min he'd force power off.

When it was stuck "shutting down" after 30-60 min he'd force power off.

I never even ran into that problem with Windows 2000 and later.....

Windows 95 and Windows 98 had that bug. It was apparently a pandemic at Crotched Mountain school. (NH) Microsoft had a hotfix for that.....

But, I'm not aware of such an issue with NT-based Windows.

Sometimes this can be caused by a USB device driver issue. Try removing all non-essential USB devices and see if it goes away.

I mentioned USB as a test measure as well, but so far I think it's been fine. I keep checking in with him. Thanks, guys!

I once had a machine that had freaky issues booting up. I traced it down to a USB wire being bit up a bit by the user's cat... haha!!

Windows 2000, even with SP4, IIRC, apparently had a nasty bug where it will hang at "Saving settings" on logout and log an error message about Windows failing to unload the registry hive and access being denied, when using it without an ethernet card installed..... This occurred when I still had 56 K.

Windows 7 does unfortunately randomly hang with the ring-of-doom for no apparent reason, like my CPU's only 300 Mhz! (Appears 7 is trying to do stuff in the background and not tell me!)

Last edited:
Back