• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fx 8350 and overclock? or fx 9370?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This may be because you have the set voltage too low. When you set the LLc lower open HWmonitor and run prime again. If it isn't dropping or overshooting the set voltage as much as it is when set at 25% then you may be better off. If you look at the last SS of HWmonitor you have a low of 1.384 and a max of 1.496 that is still a pretty big fluctuation. I would rather see it held in a tighter range. What's probably happening is with the LLC set where it is, the overshoot on the voltage is what is keeping it stable. This could cause a couple of issues, you may find the PC crashes periodically because when it's not under load it may not be getting the correct voltage. You may also find that your temps may get better with the LLC not overshooting by as much and the "set" voltage a bit higher. If I'm not making sense let me know.

Increase base voltage to say 1.445 and set llc for tighter control. 50%-75% conpared to my 25% now. Might see a drop in temps. Fairly straight foward. Will do when i get home from work.

Increase base voltage to say 1.445 and set llc for tighter control. 50%-75% conpared to my 25% now. Might see a drop in temps. Fairly straight foward. Will do when i get home from work.

That part right there is where the Asrock LLC seems reversed from our usual results on Asus mobo.

This was all done on the precursor to the EXT9 mobo and is where I mention that the Asrock LLC seems backwards.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726641

If you use Vcore offset and 25% LLC you can rein in the Vcore fluctuations.
RGone...ster.

Yes you'll need to re figure out what the "set" voltage should be, but you may find you have better temps if it's not overshooting by as much. Also put a fan on the VRM section and on the backside of the motherboard if you haven't already, it should drop the Socket temps so they are a bit closer to the Package/Core temps.

That part right there is where the Asrock LLC seems reversed from our usual results on Asus mobo.

This was all done on the precursor to the EXT9 mobo and is where I mention that the Asrock LLC seems backwards.
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=726641

If you use Vcore offset and 25% LLC you can rein in the Vcore fluctuations.
RGone...ster.

Yes you'll need to re figure out what the "set" voltage should be, but you may find you have better temps if it's not overshooting by as much. Also put a fan on the VRM section and on the backside of the motherboard if you haven't already, it should drop the Socket temps so they are a bit closer to the Package/Core temps.

Whelp I did it. Set the LLC for 75% (more control. remember. Asrock board here) Set base voltage for 1.475. Temps stayed down. Was capping out at 57C before. Didn't go above 45C with these settings. With a higher base voltage! Didn't think llc made that much a difference. Also, voltage fluctuation was was down as well. never above 1.504. I might test this current speed at 1.5 base voltage and 100% llc, or push for 5ghz now that temps are down.

side note: Fan for motherboard socket as well as VRM heatsink are being installed this weekend. Also thinking about installing 200mm or 230mm fan on side panel. 110-150ish CFM blowing directly at socket/mobo heatsinks etc. All of this combined, think I could squeeze 5.0ghz out of this chip? LLC changes.PNG

We'll it looks like the voltage is staying in a tighter range, which is good. I'm still not loving the min reading of 1.448 if the set CPU v is 1.475. It could just be an errant reading and if it works then that's what counts. If putting the additional fans on the VRM and in the case gets the socket temp closer to the package, you have a chance of hitting 5.0. It will all depend on how much juice this 6300 starts to drink for the next 200 MHz. They can start getting real thirsty up here.

It will all depend on how much juice this 6300 starts to drink for the next 200 MHz. They can start getting real thirsty up here. = You said what can be a big understatement there for sure "manny". That next 200Mhz may be more costly in heat and voltage than any 200Mhz yet sought after. But the OP seems to have some headroom so he can go for it since he seems to have the idea and finds his spots to play and what to adjust well enough now.

Congrats I66 on that last set of screen captures.
RGone...

You said what can be a big understatement there for sure "manny". That next 200Mhz may be more costly in heat and voltage than any 200Mhz yet sought after.
I only know through experience, hence the 4.7 24/7 for me, going from 4.7 to 5.0 takes a bucket loader full of voltage. Just for 4.8 for me it went from 1.4625 @4.7 to around 1.49 if my memory serves me correctly.

Thanks Rgone. And mandrake for the help. I'll be spanking this fx 6300 asap. Would be awesome if I can get 5.0ghz stable for constant use without burning something. Thanks again for all the help. I'll get back to you guys with the results

In more cases you'll hit your max temps or just crash before you burn anything up, unless you do something silly like set the voltage to 1.8 or something like that.

I66 did you put fan on VRMs and even rear of cpu socket behind the mobo?

I got to thinking about it and I believe I remember C_D saying he was gaming at 5.2Ghz with his FX-6300. He has or was running a pretty hefty water cooling setup and fans on VRM and rear of mobo. If you have followed any of his exploits you have to know that he is not afraid of Vcore. Hehehe. Fact is he loves it.

I used an FX-8120 cpu that C_D had run for days and days and days on end with full load @1.67Vcore and I never had a problem pushing it hard while I had it and he got it back from me and sold it to someone else who is still using. it.

So while you can have a failure when you least expect it, the FX processors are pretty darn tough. There is the OnE thing most don't take into account and that is getting the heat out of the processor if you are going to hit it with a lot of volts. It is this cooling thing that seperates the cans from the cannots or maybe better said, the should nots. Watch your temps closely and the cpu should be good.
RGone...

Havent had the chance to install anything yet :(. Gonna try later in the day. Dont worry everyone. Havemt forgotten this thread. Ill check in as soon as i get the fans on the vrm sink. Socket is gonna take a lil longer. Checking around for a hole saw big enough for a 120mm fan opening

Hey everyone. Finally had the chance to install the socket and VRM heatsink fans. 70mm fan on the VRM sink, and 120mm on socket. Just waiting until tomorrow to cut the hole in the rear panel to actually fit the 120mm. It JUST fits when I remove a portion of the shroud. Pic related is 25 min of prime95 blend. I have the LLC set for 50%, and base voltage for 1.375. I would up the base to 1.55v and set LLC for 75%, but then max voltage buzzes up around 1.65, and I'm not happy with it that high. Socket temps are way down. Were hitting what? 77C with CPU at 4.8 ghz? Much cooler now.

To be honest, I plan on only milking this chip and motherboard until Feb-March 2015, then I'll be moving up to a new combo. (probably intel something unfortunately as AMD has zero news as to new enthusiast cpus). I'll be grabbing a board that has custom waterblocks already made for NB and VRMs. Getting fans on there is more of a pain than anything. Much easier to just slap a block on there, and toss it in my loop.

Updated hw monitor.JPG

Still way hot and too much vcore.
Start shopping now. You may not make it until 2015.

Still way hot and too much vcore.
Start shopping now. You may not make it until 2015.

Agreed, I wouldn't run that much voltage with the temps that high.

Aww man. That sucks. Guess my ideal "ceiling" is really 4.8 :(. Was hoping for 5 ghz. Ah well.

I just reset my chip back to the original 4.8ghz from before. I want 5ghz badly, but not enough to burn out my chip prematurely. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
Aww man. That sucks. Guess my ideal "ceiling" is really 4.8 :(. Was hoping for 5 ghz. Ah well.

It's your cpu so do as you please but lasting another year at those volts is questionable at best. I know of people that run there Fx 83XX 24/7 with temps in the high 70' to low 80's and their rigs have been going strong for over a year. I would be more comfortable running that kind of voltage only under really really good cooling like sub-ambient water where the processor only gets in the 20's, but that's me.

It's your cpu so do as you please but lasting another year at those volts is questionable at best. I know of people that run there Fx 83XX 24/7 with temps in the high 70' to low 80's and their rigs have been going strong for over a year. I would be more comfortable running that kind of voltage only under really really good cooling like sub-ambient water where the processor only gets in the 20's, but that's me.

Yea i hear ya. Like I said, i'd love to see 5ghz, but I won't break stuff doing so. Gaming wise, It does amazing at 4.8ghz, the 5.0 mark was just to see if I could

Yea i hear ya. Like I said, i'd love to see 5ghz, but I won't break stuff doing so. Gaming wise, It does amazing at 4.8ghz, the 5.0 mark was just to see if I could

Oh man a 5ghz club? Crap, just get a cpu-z submission and run the daily 4.8ghz and be happy. 90% of daily users do this, and it's great for bragging rights.

You should see the guys at the vape shop. I turned them on to some massive clocks and they was like WTF!@! I says "my video card was 475$" and they go dang, my PS4..... LOL.

get a cpu-z 5ghz and slap it into your sig!

Hey everyone. I finally upgraded!. Got my hands on an fx-9370 for $120. I forgot I had a logitech g13 gamepad I bought a while ago and haven't used all that much. Check with microcenter, and it had a warranty! Returned it for $80. Was originally gonna get the fx-8350, but the 9370 was only $20 more, so I figured I would go for the higher binned chip. Anyhow, this is a pic of 20 minutes of prime95 blend testing. This is with fans attached to NB and VRM heatsinks, as well as a fan on the rear of the socket. I was able to get 5ghz stable at 1.55v with 100% LLC (no wiggle room, remember ASrock boards are backwards) but the CPU started producing illegal sumout errors after 6 minutes of p95 testing.

CAM00095[1].jpg

fx 9370 hw monitor.JPG

Back